“Excellent location, superior breakfast, tiny rooms”
Review of The California

The California
Ranked #404 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 15 December 2013

This was a hotel of contrasts.
The excellent part:
- the location: King's Cross St. Pancras tube station 20 meters, the train station across the street, bars, fast food, shops with 24 hours service within 100 meters;
- the staff: friendly and professional, to be honest, I like it when people look me in the eye when asking how I am;
- the breakfast: full English breakfast was promised at the time of booking and the promise was kept. Now, this wasn't an English Breakfastish meal, it was the real thing (mushrooms, tomato, beans, bacon, sausage, toast), yoghurt, jam, butter and fresh bread was also available.

The bad part:
- the room I got was tiny. Really, really, tiny. I mean I was able to move around, but that's basically it;
- it was a bit cold in the rooms, the heater was on, but the window might not be insulated well enough.

Anyway, it was money well spent.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,116)

Reviewed 7 December 2013

Stayed for a weekend at the end of Nov 2013. Excellent location approx 50 metres from the tube entrance. (go up the street with Barclays Bank on corner). Being so close to Kings Cross makes it easy to get around London as most of the tube lines run through here. Plenty of places to eat nearby. The hotel itself was spotlessly clean. Our room had a double bed and bunk beds with an en suite. The double could do with a better mattress but we slept fine.(Being dragged round shops all day helped). Will be using this hotel again and would recommend.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Cellblock1138
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in a perfect location for Kings Cross and St.Pancras stations,being only 5 minutes walk from both. Our room was small but comfortable and quite adequate for a one night stay. Breakfast was good and served quickly, important when you have a train to catch. It was good value for money and we will be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on an overnight business trip...very handy for kings cross and eurostar.

Love the reception desk made out of suitcases!

Was given room no 1 which was downstairs right next to the dining room. Fortunately I was leaving before breakfast started but I can imagine if you are stil in bed after 7am you wont get much sleep. As it was there were people ( staff I presume as no other bedrooms down on that floor) coming and going all night.

My main concern was that at about 10pm the shower in my bathroom came on....full power. It has a big square rain-style shower head so was quite clearly on. As I approached the bathroom door I heard someone whistling in the shower. I paused (as you would) and as I opened the door the shower stopped but I felt a terrible chill down my spine.

Went to bed but didnt get a lot of sleep...

....you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave. Well I think someone hasn't left room no 1 so if you are staying here, maybe ask for a different room.

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank andystaley
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Just spent a night here in a triple room with my daughter and grandson.
The hotel is so handy for Kings Cross station- a few hundred yards away.
The staff were all very courteous and caring.
The hotel has a small residents lounge and a lovely basement dining room.
The full English breakfast was excellent.
Our room was on the 4th floor up some steep stairs and there was no lift.
However it was a very comfortable- small but beautifully formed!Good quality fittings and nicely done out..The room and ensuite were very clean and the beds were very comfortable.
I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Our family of 7 stayed here on the 26/27th October. in 2 rooms.We were very pleased with how clean the rooms were,they were not overly big,but enough for our overnight stay before we travelled to Eurodisney.Close to St. Pancras.Kings cross and just a short walk to Euston station.The staff were very friendly and helpful.The breakfast was very good too.Would recommend anyone to stay here.
There was quite a lot of noise from outside,but we did sleep ok.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank DianeA59
Reviewed 30 October 2013

This hotel did what it said on the tin.Clean, modern rooms. Not a huge amount of space but fine if you need close proximity to St.Pancras. Staff friendly.The breakfast was ample, staff working hard as it was very busy but they were very helpful with small children.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family