“Good for a short stay”
Review of The California

The California
Ranked #405 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 22 December 2013

This hotel has a very funky reception made out of suitcases and the welcome you get from reception staff is really warm and friendly. My room although tiny was spotlessly clean. The breakfast was disappointing however, which was a shame given how the quirkiness of the rest of the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Ribby34
Write a ReviewReviews (2,117)

Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

We arrived at the hotel rather late, but were cheerfully welcomed and offered drinks. The hotel rooms were a.little confusing to.find as this hotel comprises of several large houses combined, and there are several staircases (make sure you find the right one). The staff were lovely and the rooms beautifully clean. Very.close to public transport so easy to get around london. Lovely atmosphere.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 15 December 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a single night on our way to Edinburgh. The hotel is perfectly located - literally across the street from St. Pancras and only a few yards from the tube. There are plenty of restaurants nearby (check out the bar at the Megaro Hotel up the street).

The room was very comfortable, clean and well appointed, the staff was friendly and very helpful, and the included breakfast was delicious. We were also able to check our luggage prior to checking in. All-in-all, we had a really nice experience at Hotel California and wouldn't have minded staying a couple more nights.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 December 2013

This was a hotel of contrasts.
The excellent part:
- the location: King's Cross St. Pancras tube station 20 meters, the train station across the street, bars, fast food, shops with 24 hours service within 100 meters;
- the staff: friendly and professional, to be honest, I like it when people look me in the eye when asking how I am;
- the breakfast: full English breakfast was promised at the time of booking and the promise was kept. Now, this wasn't an English Breakfastish meal, it was the real thing (mushrooms, tomato, beans, bacon, sausage, toast), yoghurt, jam, butter and fresh bread was also available.

The bad part:
- the room I got was tiny. Really, really, tiny. I mean I was able to move around, but that's basically it;
- it was a bit cold in the rooms, the heater was on, but the window might not be insulated well enough.

Anyway, it was money well spent.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Stayed for a weekend at the end of Nov 2013. Excellent location approx 50 metres from the tube entrance. (go up the street with Barclays Bank on corner). Being so close to Kings Cross makes it easy to get around London as most of the tube lines run through here. Plenty of places to eat nearby. The hotel itself was spotlessly clean. Our room had a double bed and bunk beds with an en suite. The double could do with a better mattress but we slept fine.(Being dragged round shops all day helped). Will be using this hotel again and would recommend.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Cellblock1138
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

This hotel is in a perfect location for Kings Cross and St.Pancras stations,being only 5 minutes walk from both. Our room was small but comfortable and quite adequate for a one night stay. Breakfast was good and served quickly, important when you have a train to catch. It was good value for money and we will be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on an overnight business trip...very handy for kings cross and eurostar.

Love the reception desk made out of suitcases!

Was given room no 1 which was downstairs right next to the dining room. Fortunately I was leaving before breakfast started but I can imagine if you are stil in bed after 7am you wont get much sleep. As it was there were people ( staff I presume as no other bedrooms down on that floor) coming and going all night.

My main concern was that at about 10pm the shower in my bathroom came on....full power. It has a big square rain-style shower head so was quite clearly on. As I approached the bathroom door I heard someone whistling in the shower. I paused (as you would) and as I opened the door the shower stopped but I felt a terrible chill down my spine.

Went to bed but didnt get a lot of sleep...

....you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave. Well I think someone hasn't left room no 1 so if you are staying here, maybe ask for a different room.

• Stayed: November 2013