“fantastic friendly hotel”

Ranked #393 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Tamworth, United Kingdom
“fantastic friendly hotel”
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Great room as we were a party of 4 ladies on a 40th birthday knees up. Had room 010 which accommodates 6 people. Very clean, beds comfortable. Receptionist (originally from Lichfield) was exceptionally helpful and made us feel so welcome. 1 tube stop from Euston, and hotel is directly opposite kings Cross station. Breakfast is buffet style and provided yoghurt, cereal or full English. Would definitely recommend to anyone.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Alex-GM-CAL, General Manager at The California, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Thank you. I really appreciate your feedback.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at The California and had an amazing birthday party.
I hope to see you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
newcastle upon tyne
Reviewed 17 January 2014

My self and 3 friends went to London for 2 nights and we stayed at the Calafornia it was in a good place as we arrived at Kings cross station and the hotel is just across the road. Good friendly staff welcomed us and the room although down a very narrow staircase with no banister the room 012 was very good for 3 friends it had 3 single beds and a good sized bathroom with bath shower and plenty of Hot water tea and coffee making facilities very clean and comfortable. Breakfast was adequate to set you up for a day of sightseeing always plenty of food staff warm and friendly. I would recommend this hotel as it was good value for money. Good public transport links. I left my phone and bag in a taxi and the receptionist couldn't have been more helpful and I got it returned by a lovely black cab driver (very lucky)

Room Tip: Downstairs rooms are down a very narrow staircase so ask where room is
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your feedback and I'm happy to hear you have enjoyed your quick break in London. I'm glad my team here at The California could make your stay memorable and we would love to welcome you again next you visit London.
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I did not have much time in London, travelling in and out of Kings Cross station. The hotel is very, very convenient for such a trip. The staff at reception were very friendly and assisted me with directions. The room was small, but acceptable for one night. The breakfast was buffet style but the quality was good. Perfectly acceptable for one night.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Iain G
Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad we could be of assistance during your quick stay in London and also to give you a start into a busy day with our breakfast buffet.
The team at the California and myself are looking forward to see you again next time you are in London.
Hertford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

Decent budget choice in a good location with smallish (but not as coffin like as Tune hotels!) clean rooms. Reception friendly and check in efficient. Really liked the fact that breakfast is included in the price. For general value I was very pleased with the Accomodation standard until around 5 am when the gurgling, clunking and roar of the water tank upstairs tried to give a indoor impression of Niagara Falls. I'd return but would highly recommend ear plugs and a room on a lower floor

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Echoawaits
Thank you for your feedback.
I'm sorry to hear that you experienced unexpected noise that early in the morning. I will be investigating and see if this issue can be fixed as soon as possible.
I'm glad you enjoyed the rest of your stay and would hope to see again at The California London.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Booked purely as a stopover so was just looking for somewhere convenient for the station. Was pleasantly surprised at the standard of the hotel (especially for what we paid). Yes the rooms are tiny but everything we needed was there, breakfast was substantial and as we were at the back of the hotel it was very quiet. You would have no idea you were 2 mins from the station. Also, being so close to the station meant we could leave our bags there while we wandered around on the second day. The staff were very helpful and friendly, in particular the lady who checked us in. Highly recommended and would definitely use again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank beachygirl187069
Thank you. Great to hear you enjoyed the hotel and the services with it.
It was a pleasure to make your stay a memorable one and would hope to see you again soon when next in London.
Thessaloniki, Greece
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Perfect location (1min walk from King's Cross metro station),friendly staff (especially the Spanish receptionist,well done!) always at our disposal for information or assistance, very clean room (daily change of linnen/towels) well equipped room with large bathroom, quiet location. Would definately propose it and will stay back again in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor rooms, more quiet and larger.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Apostolos V
Thank you for your feedback.
We always like to your comments. I'm glad my team has made your stay comfortable and you were able to enjoy the hotel.
I look forward to seeing you again next time here at The California London.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

This is a good value basic hotel for a short stay, opposite St Pancras and Kings Cross. I stayed here so I had somewhere to sleep after a New Years Eve because I had work the next day. The room was quite small and a bit drab, although it was very clean, the bathroom provided a decent shower and there was a large TV. The bed was comfy and the room warm enough. Breakfast was OK too. There was a bit of noise from other guests but my room was right by reception which probably accounted for this. It advertised a hairdryer although there was none in the room, however I had brought my own. It would have been handy to have a mirror near the plug sockets so I could have seen what I was doing when drying my hair! The staff were very welcoming on reception, however the waitress at breakfast was an utter misery (perhaps because it was New Years Day!!) All in all I would stay here again as it was clean and adequate, good value and close to where I needed to be.

Room Tip: Avoid room near to reception as it was a bit noisy
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Anne S
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback.
I really hope you enjoyed your stay at The California. Apologies for the missing hairdryer. The room you are referring to had not been refurbished at the time, however this has now changed and can assure that should you return next it will be even better.
Again, many thanks for your feedback.