The California
US$215
US$188
galahotels.com
2,182 results
All reviewskings crossst pancrasgreat locationno liftpancras stationluggage roombeansnice breakfastrooms are smallenglish breakfastsingle roomwould stay againshort staytea and coffeebreakfast was includedfamily roomfull english
Reviewed 6 February 2014

I knew I was going to be working in London for five weeks in the New Year and I was looking to try a hotel for a week before Christmas as well with the view of booking for the whole period. I happened to try the California Hotel and was more than happy to make the full booking, and I can say honestly now that I made the right choice!

My company’s hotel of choice is the Premier Inn which I can’t say a bad word about, but being away for an extended period of time I wanted something different, a home away from home if you will. Also I was to be working not only in North London but also Doncaster, Loughborough and Sheffield as well so I needed to have good access to Kings Cross and St. Pancras stations. The California is situated perfectly in that regard! I could be on the tube in 5 minutes flat from my hotel room and within 10 minutes I could be travelling anywhere in the country!

There are plenty of places to eat and drink in the surrounding area (I recommend the ‘Romance’ Mediterranean restaurant which is about a ten minutes’ walk) but if you wanted to go further afield then you can get into the heart of the West End, Camden, Shoreditch or St. Pauls in around ten minutes via the tube.

Ok so the hotel itself. I have never staid in one hotel as long, and I half expected to see the friendliness of the staff etc. to wane slightly after the first couple of weeks, but to be fair quite the opposite happened. There is a number of staff, but everyone from the front desk to the cleaners to the women cooking the breakfasts in the morning was all polite and attentive, and generally did make me feel comfortable. In particular Alex, Tara and Dimitar were great and I felt well looked after.

Each week I had a different room, and of the five rooms I stayed in, all were slightly different in layout or decoration, but all were clean, fresh and comfortable. I had a problem once where I was too warm and the radiator couldn’t be turned down (I prefer my rooms around 17degrees) but I was moved no questions asked. The bathrooms are all well fitted and there is enough water pressure for a nice hot shower, even on the higher floors of the hotel, and also a lot of the rooms have huge baths if you prefer a nice soak!

The breakfast was great, on par with the Premier Inn breakfasts. They are self-service and have a good selection of foods and juices, as well as the normal tea and coffee. There is a nice, relaxing lounge and sun terrace (which I didn’t get to use given the time of year), and the hotel on the whole is quiet, so it is easy to get an early night if you so wish.

I have recommended this hotel to all my colleagues and whenever I visit the capital again, this is the first place I will look to for a reservation, guaranteed. Great location, great price, great staff, great rooms and great food. I do like my Premier Inn’s, but it is nice to stay somewhere with a bit of character every now and then and this place does not disappointed. Thanks for accommodating me!

Room Tip: I preferred being on the top floor.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Carl_Moore_89
Alex-GM-CAL, General Manager at The California, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Dear Carl,
Thank you very much for you review.
I would like to say that it was a pleasure for myself, Tara & Dimtar as well the rest of my team here at The California to look after you during your time away from home.
I'm glad we all made your stay with enjoyable and we hope that you will be able to return to us at some point in the future.
Regards,
Alex

Reviewed 31 January 2014

Don't stay here if you plan on sleeping - it is a complete waste of money - sit the night out at St Pancras station (very conveniently over the road) instead - it would be quieter. The interior insulation and noise management is virutally non-existent - all night long the thumping of people and suitcases up the stairs (very narrow), clacking and thudding of fire-exit and bedroom doors (no springs on door and made of light hollow fabric). the clicking of heels on the wooden bedroom floors below, the whooshing and gurgling of the ancient plumbing systems, and finally, and most annoying of all, loud conversations in the corridors outside and knocking on doors until at least four in the morning. There was NO SIGN AT WHATSOEVER ANYWHERE to remind other clients to keep the noise levels down and to respect those who were sleeping (or at least trying to). Breakfast very greasy 'English' style, toast like cardboard, and no sign of fresh fruit - coffee good. Otherwise, room (very small) fine, good pillows and nice bathroom. But 'not fit for purpose' if you plan to sleep....

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BibiSussex
Alex-GM-CAL, General Manager at The California, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I'm very sorry to hear that you did not get a good night sleep.
The California is an old Georgian building consisting of previous town houses and now forming our charming boutique hotel. I apologise if you felt uncomfortable due other guests in the property, but please let me assure you that all our rooms are "fit for purpose" and are more comfortable and welcoming than spending a night inside St. Pancras station. Again, I am very sorry for the inconvenience and would have loved to be given the opportunity to rectify the problems during your stay.
Our breakfast is a free add on to the room and we are constantly looking into improving our services and range of products.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

We needed a place to stay for one night which was close to Kings Cross Station. I'd stayed in a number of hotels in the area but decided to shop around first. This place looked and felt good and best of all, in addition to the free internet, there was a luggage-minding room which we could use. On the downside, I hadn't checked the disabled access and it was only by the time we'd checked in that we discovered there was no lift, and we were on the second floor. The floors were uncarpeted which meant that every step was heard from the room above. Last breakfast orders were a bit early for a weekend. I would go again but my wife wouldn't, so this is my personal rating.

Room Tip: Try and get a top floor room if you're good with stairs.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review our property.
Due to the age of the building we are unfortunately unable to offer accessible room which also includes a lift in the building. If you do decide to stay again, please mention this when making your booking and we are more than happy to allocate you to a Ground floor room which does not require you climb stairs.
We are currently working on our breakfast options which also includes the opening times.
Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I had a most enjoyable night stay here teh reception staff were friendly I had a large room good size bathroom very clean. Breakfast was good in the large breakfast room the waiting staff were efficent and friendly. The hotel also had a left luggage facility. Would stay again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo

Thank you very much for your fantastic comments.
I hope to welcome you again soon here at The California and you will be able to spend another enjoyable night at our hotel.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Stayed here as Daughter's had a hospital appointment close by, room 010 (twin room & 04 family room) Quick easy check in, lovely rooms , size of rooms was adequate lovely comfy beds, great shower perfect after 6hours of travelling. Breakfast was lovely, relaxed and plenty. could not fault this. Will definetly be booking again for our next visits think we will become regulars at the amount of appointments we have. Plenty of restaurants fast foods to choose from close by. Many thanks for the warm welcome see you soon

Room Tip: watch your head if in basement rooms!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank KMarie718

Thank you for your feedback.
I'm very glad to hear that you had a great time at The California. As you mentioned, we also hope to see you again.