“Good”

The California
Ranked #367 of 1,089 Hotels in London
“Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Nice clean basic room. Everything we needed. Breakfast was good and location to train station was faultless. Straightforward check in and out and was able to check in and leave bags between train at 12 and getting to room at 11pm. Would definately stay again if visiting London.

Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Poshbirdclaire

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

Decided to stay at The California last minute as a Valentines Day treat! Hotel is very stylish and in a fantastic location opposite Kings Cross (down a side street, so not on the main road). It has fantastic decor, loved the reception desk (very different!) and the Art Deco furniture. Our room was quite small but well thought-out, making the best use of the space, with a wet-room shower and well-placed shelving and mirror for getting ready! Bed was comfortable and had s good nights sleep. Breakfast was included, did not think the breakfast room was quite in keeping with the rest of the hotel, but it was clean and there was a buffet style breakfast with hot & cold options available. Would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ann W
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2014 via mobile

We arrived at the hotel very late because of transport difficulties. The staff were very kind on the phone and on arrival assuring us this wasn't a problem. The room itself was cramped with a very small toilet area. Sadly we realised during the night there was a problem with the heating and we were cold! However as soon as we pointed this out to the staff they sorted it immediately.
Breakfast was a little disappointing -tinned fruit, tepid sausages, and cold toast . The staff were friendly and very welcoming though.
We chose the hotel because of its convenience to st pancras and if you are looking for somewhere not too expensive and central, it could still suit!!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OxfordJulieT
Radomlje
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

The hotel is lovely, room was small but nice and with really tiny bathroom! Breakfast was okay but I would love to see a bit more selection. Staff was also very friendly. Location is also quite good as it is right across the Street of King's Cross station. Recommended!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Alex-GM-CAL, General Manager at The California, responded to this review, 11 February 2014
Many thanks for reviewing our hotel.
I'm happy to hear your enjoyed your stay and we were able to make it a memorable one.
northampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

I refuse to pay the outlandish rates charged by mediocre hotel chains in London.The California Hotel really hit the mark.It was good value for money but didn't compromise on comfort or location. The staff were great, the room, whilst small, was clean and comfortable. For breakfast I was presented with a choice of 3 cereals, yogurts, toast, a fry up and coffee or tea. What more could a man ask for!

Room Tip: I stayed in a single room. I'm 6ft 1" and my feet were sticking out of the bed, so may be w...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review for us.
I'm glad you enjoyed your time at The California and will be able to come back soon.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

I knew I was going to be working in London for five weeks in the New Year and I was looking to try a hotel for a week before Christmas as well with the view of booking for the whole period. I happened to try the California Hotel and was more than happy to make the full booking, and I can say honestly now that I made the right choice!

My company’s hotel of choice is the Premier Inn which I can’t say a bad word about, but being away for an extended period of time I wanted something different, a home away from home if you will. Also I was to be working not only in North London but also Doncaster, Loughborough and Sheffield as well so I needed to have good access to Kings Cross and St. Pancras stations. The California is situated perfectly in that regard! I could be on the tube in 5 minutes flat from my hotel room and within 10 minutes I could be travelling anywhere in the country!

There are plenty of places to eat and drink in the surrounding area (I recommend the ‘Romance’ Mediterranean restaurant which is about a ten minutes’ walk) but if you wanted to go further afield then you can get into the heart of the West End, Camden, Shoreditch or St. Pauls in around ten minutes via the tube.

Ok so the hotel itself. I have never staid in one hotel as long, and I half expected to see the friendliness of the staff etc. to wane slightly after the first couple of weeks, but to be fair quite the opposite happened. There is a number of staff, but everyone from the front desk to the cleaners to the women cooking the breakfasts in the morning was all polite and attentive, and generally did make me feel comfortable. In particular Alex, Tara and Dimitar were great and I felt well looked after.

Each week I had a different room, and of the five rooms I stayed in, all were slightly different in layout or decoration, but all were clean, fresh and comfortable. I had a problem once where I was too warm and the radiator couldn’t be turned down (I prefer my rooms around 17degrees) but I was moved no questions asked. The bathrooms are all well fitted and there is enough water pressure for a nice hot shower, even on the higher floors of the hotel, and also a lot of the rooms have huge baths if you prefer a nice soak!

The breakfast was great, on par with the Premier Inn breakfasts. They are self-service and have a good selection of foods and juices, as well as the normal tea and coffee. There is a nice, relaxing lounge and sun terrace (which I didn’t get to use given the time of year), and the hotel on the whole is quiet, so it is easy to get an early night if you so wish.

I have recommended this hotel to all my colleagues and whenever I visit the capital again, this is the first place I will look to for a reservation, guaranteed. Great location, great price, great staff, great rooms and great food. I do like my Premier Inn’s, but it is nice to stay somewhere with a bit of character every now and then and this place does not disappointed. Thanks for accommodating me!

Room Tip: I preferred being on the top floor.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Carl_Moore_89
Dear Carl,
Thank you very much for you review.
I would like to say that it was a pleasure for myself, Tara & Dimtar as well the rest of my team here at The California to look after you during your time away from home.
I'm glad we all made your stay with enjoyable and we hope that you will be able to return to us at some point in the future.
Regards,
Alex
Sussex
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

Don't stay here if you plan on sleeping - it is a complete waste of money - sit the night out at St Pancras station (very conveniently over the road) instead - it would be quieter. The interior insulation and noise management is virutally non-existent - all night long the thumping of people and suitcases up the stairs (very narrow), clacking and thudding of fire-exit and bedroom doors (no springs on door and made of light hollow fabric). the clicking of heels on the wooden bedroom floors below, the whooshing and gurgling of the ancient plumbing systems, and finally, and most annoying of all, loud conversations in the corridors outside and knocking on doors until at least four in the morning. There was NO SIGN AT WHATSOEVER ANYWHERE to remind other clients to keep the noise levels down and to respect those who were sleeping (or at least trying to). Breakfast very greasy 'English' style, toast like cardboard, and no sign of fresh fruit - coffee good. Otherwise, room (very small) fine, good pillows and nice bathroom. But 'not fit for purpose' if you plan to sleep....

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank BibiSussex
Alex-GM-CAL, General Manager at The California, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Thank you for your feedback. I'm very sorry to hear that you did not get a good night sleep.
The California is an old Georgian building consisting of previous town houses and now forming our charming boutique hotel. I apologise if you felt uncomfortable due other guests in the property, but please let me assure you that all our rooms are "fit for purpose" and are more comfortable and welcoming than spending a night inside St. Pancras station. Again, I am very sorry for the inconvenience and would have loved to be given the opportunity to rectify the problems during your stay.
Our breakfast is a free add on to the room and we are constantly looking into improving our services and range of products.