“Good Family Weekend Location”
Review of The California

The California
Ranked #403 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Stayed with my daughter and elderly aunt for the weekend. Some hotels don't allow 3 adults to share a room, so this was ideal. I asked for a ground floor room, as my aunt struggles with stairs and there is no lift, which they gave us. Room was spotless and had everything we needed. Location is excellent for Euston station and Kings Cross. There is a subway close by, so you don't have to cross the very busy Euston Road to the station. The bar and breakfast room are well decorated and comfortable. Breakfast was good, buffet style. The staff on reception were very helpful and friendly. I would definitely return.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 27 April 2014

I stayed here while on an internship in London. I had a fantastic single room which was very small but had everything I needed. The location was excellent as I could go out of the hotel and basically be at kings cross for the tube to anywhere within a matter of minutes. I thought it was great value for money for the location and the room was very clean and had a kettle with coffee/tea in it! The only reason why I wouldn't give my stay 5/5 was because the walls were very thin and I could hear pretty much everything from my bed and so found it difficult to sleep when people were coming in late at night. However, breakfast was fantastic, the reception was available 24/7 and the little bar area was very handy after I had checked out as well with plug sockets for laptops. Overall it made my journey to London very enjoyable.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the California Hotel for two weeks with a group of young people on a dance residency. The hotel staff could not have been more helpful, catering to our every need. They were there to assist is for any problems and ensured they resolved them with a smile and friendly air. Nothing was any trouble. The rooms are modern, basic, and clean; perfect for an economical stay in London and the location is ideal. I would highly recommend a stay with Alex and his lovely team.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Stayed at this hotel for a girly trip to London to see a West End show. The staff were brilliant, the room and bathroom were clean and breakfast was good. Being so close to the train and tube stations made this a perfect location. Would definitely stay at this hotel again for a short trip.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Shutterbug80
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The highlight of this hotel - location. If you need to catch a train early in the morning like I need to - look no further. This hotel is situated directly opposite King Cross/St Pancras station. The room size is a bit small but for that price - it is ok. The bathroom size is quite generous, very clean and the water pressure is alright. Overall a very basic room with breakfast - I personally think it is quite a good value considering the fact that the location is just opposite St Pancras. I agree that the sound proofing could be better. The other minor complaint - you will need to carry your bags up a very narrow staircase by yourself. So if you have problem with that then I would suggest you look elsewhere.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank sxght
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Competitive price, very clean, good location, quiet with helpful staff.
Nicely decorated hotel.
I took a triple room and didn't take breakfast as we caught the first Eurostar train from St Pancras station just a short walk away.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 March 2014

The worst hotel we have ever experienced is the California Hotel in London. It's not due to tiny rooms or no storage for luggage, or no phone or fan & not the tiny bathrooms. It's because of the paper thin walls and ceilings & loud, yelling and stomping guests up until 4 AM every night, despite repeated complaints by us and other guests. The management is useless, doesn't care and prevented us from getting any sleep during our vacation. Worst hotel in the world - California in London.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family