The California
Hotel Megaro(London)
  • Restaurant
  • Free Internet
2,161 results
All reviewskings crossst pancrasgreat locationno liftpancras stationluggage roombeansnice breakfastrooms are smallenglish breakfastsingle roomwould stay againshort staytea and coffeebreakfast was includedfamily roomfull english
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 August 2009

I thought htis hotel was an excellent find. close to Kings Cross St Pancras. we stayed in a room sleeping 6 adults (yes, not restricted to 2 adults 4 kids!) remarkable value for the 5 of us that stayed for £22 each!

ROOM: in the basement. amazingly quiet when you consider the station is literally 200yds away. clean, recent refurbishment but still a little shabby if you looked close enough. small wardrobe, 4 drawers.

BED/BEDDING: Clean and fresh. wooden, box built beds all of which were fairly comfortable. 1 towel per bed.

HOTEL OVERALL: warm welcome at reception, shown to our room, offered for us to sit in lounge when we arrived back at 2am, but no bar so declined! (hehe). missed breakfast so can't comment, but smelled nice and the people in the room above said it was delicious!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank scatti1
Reviewed 26 July 2009

we had a tiny room at the top of the hotel, no lift and narrow stairs, difficult getting case to room. mattress was ripped and dirty and extremely uncomfortable. complained this was removed. no soap in toilet. wardrobe doors could not be opened fully due to doors opening on to bed. will not be staying there again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lindaMidlands
Reviewed 26 May 2009

I have just returned from an overnight stay at the California - brill find for a budget hotel in central London: friendly,helpful staff, a reasonable residents lounge area with a little outside patio adjacent to the lounge - perfect for quiet moments in which to savour the sun - if you are lucky ! I booked a single room which was a very reasonable size (in fact it was a twin) I had a full bathroom with both bath and shower and plenty of CLEAN white towels. I also had a little tray with a kettle, tea, coffee etc in my room..a small portable TV was also in the room (though I never watched it - so unsure about quality of reception) The breakfast was well cooked and adequate: self service: bacon,sausage,beans, eggs, toast,cereal and juices together with hot drinks were available......Lets get real here DO NOT expect 5 * luxury this is a budget hotel but as I said an absolute gem of a find ...

Footnote: Maybe not suitable for people with young children or anybody with mobility problems as there is no lift, so I had to struggle up four floors of steepish, narrow stairs with my luggage - but this did concern me at all and I would definately book again. I believe there are some not so nice rooms down in the basement but if you end up with one of these maybe it is your own fault..when I made my booking I requested a clean and quiet room and that is exactly what I got ...Fab !!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 April 2009

Stayed for one night. Booked a twin room to be used as a single.
The hotel was clean and check in was fast and easy.
The room was a good size with the usual amenitites.
The room I got was in the basement, and u can hear the underground trains until about 12.
The beds were comfortable and the sheets were clean.
The heating worked and there was loads of coffee and tea.
The toilet and bathroom was seperate, which is great if two of u were using the room.
The bathroom had a powerful shower but it was a bit dark.
The TV worked and reception was good.
Breakfast was buffet style and full english. Tasted good and food was plentiful. I wish there was fruit however. But prompt service.
This hotel has no WIFI.

Overall I had a good night sleep not too noisy.
But u can't beat the location, loads of eating places and the tube is a stone throw away.

So I last stayed in this hotel 3 yrs ago, good to see that it hasn't deteriorated.
But if I stay here again I would ask for a room thats not underground.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 April 2009

No hot water six of the seven mornings. Room and bathroom were not very clean. They never had more than a surface cleaning. The wife was very uncomfortable. The management thought fixing the problem was to clean the shower head. I explained to the repairman, as a retired commercial building contractor, the problem was the guest ratio to water pressure and heating ability ratio was inadequate to keep heating water and pressure. They made excuses when I asked for some money off that the manager was not coming in that day, her normal work day. Our wives had to wait till 9Am to take showers, which was when the water heated up and the pressure came back, thus missing breakfast. Us guys will go unrepresentable but few ladies will. The way they represent themselves as a hidden treasure at Kings Cross is not quite accurate. I am president of Christin Fellowship Churches Inc. and we went there with the intention of finding a place to send ten ministry couples every six months for sabbaticals. I even told the manager this and what they gave us was the best they can do? I think the basic that should be expected isn't new but clean rooms, sheets, and hot showers. I know London is an expensive city and rooms are small but as a person that travels two weeks of the month for the corporation in this capacity I can say with some experience this is a one star hotel with a three star breakfast. This is the truth and I warn travelers. Yes you get what you pay for but this is not what we thought we were paying for or represented as. This is not a place for reconnection and intimacy between couples. I didn't expect an five, four or three star hotel but clean and hot water isn't too much to ask. I was just going to let it go but it wouldn't be right. I think the management should contact me and make some kind of amends for other travelers and restitution. This is not a Mom and Pop business. This is owned by the Moreno four star hotel just around the corner. These are professionals and we should be able to expect more from them. I don't mean to be harsh I just think there should be a change.

Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business