“Huge improvement in the hotel in the last 2 years”

St. James' Court, A Taj Hotel
Ranked #172 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 3 April 2014

The emphasis is on the "huge". Most hotel rooms in London tend to be pokey and small (tends to go with the heritage status) and you almost expect Jeeves to pop out any moment ! However, this property has improved tremendously after a refurbishment. Rooms seem bigger and brighter (the bigger may have been an optical illusion, but I doubt it). When you can do a push up without knocking tables or banging your head, you know it is the correct size.The reception looks contemporary (with a large Paresh Maity painting, to boot) and the property looks more professional. The breakfast room also seems cheerier. My only other meal was a box lunch (I was at a conference in the hotel) about which the less said the better. Most of you will not face the same ordeal. Of course, the views are of such interesting sights as the plumbing and spiral staircases. I could write a book about British pumbing thanks to the great views from hotel rooms in the past but we will leave that for another time. I would say that this property now represents great value given its location and quality of the experience.

Room Tip: Not too many rooms with a view. Draw the curtains and get on with it !
1  Thank GoggleEyedTraveller
MGR_SJCTAJ, Manager at St. James' Court, A Taj Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Dear GoggledEyedTraveller,

Thank you for the feedback and delighted to read that you have enjoyed the improvements that we have made. Whilst we have been refurbishing the hotel, we have not really increased the size of the rooms, but been smarter with the space that we had in them and I am pleased that you have benefitted from this. I hope to establish where you stayed and so I can look at what improvements, if any, I can do with the view.

Thank you again for the review for your stay, we hope that it is not another 2 years until you return again.

St James' Court, A Taj Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (3,713)

Reviewed 2 April 2014

This is a good choice for a London stay if you can get it around the £160 a night mark.

positives:- lots of in house dining and drinking options. An interesting area of central London, with lots of major sights walkable but not too many other hotels nearby. Pleasant service. Adequate room. Notably nice boutique with reasonably priced Indian clothes, fabrics, trinkets, etc.

Negatives:- Poor soundproofing, despite double glazing. The hotel bar is basically in a corridor with a constant of flow of people passing in an out through an exterior door ( not nice on a chilly evening). The receptionist did not have an adequate command of English, leading to a mix up over the room. Rumble in the room from the District line Underground passing below.

Be aware that, while the front rooms of the hotel seem to have been recently refurbished, the rear ones haven't, making them look rather tired by comparison.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room away from the Tube.
1  Thank medocain

Dear medocain,

Thank you for the review for your stay. Whilst I am delighted that some aspects of your stay were good, there is clearly room for improvement and we will be addressing these where possible. We appreciate feedback either positive or negative as we are continually looking at ways to improve the things that we do.

Thank you again for the feedback and I hope to welcome you back again and see the improvements that have been made.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

My husband and I found a great deal for the St. James Court Hotel on Expedia and enjoyed our stay from start to finish. Claudio at the desk gave us a warm welcome and, even though we arrived a bit before check in time, gave us keys to an executive room (an upgrade) that was all ready for us.
The room was elegant, fresh and clean. Kind of strange aside, but it smelled really nice, too. I think that was the bath products. The bed was comfy. We had free wifi, plus U.S. outlets.
The courtyard is beautiful; if it hadn't been cold and rainy during our visit, it would have been a great spot for happy hour. We had breakfast included in our package. It was very good, served in one of their restaurants (I think there are 3 or 4, including a Michelin-starred one). Lots of stuff to choose from.
The location of the hotel is great, right near Hyde Park and Buckingham Palace, within walking distance of: Victoria Station, Parliament, the Churchill War Rooms, Trafalgar Square, Fortnum & Mason, and Westminster Abbey.
I don't know whether we could have afforded our stay here without the Expedia deal, but we definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Claire M
MGR_SJCTAJ, Manager at St. James' Court, A Taj Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear Claire M,

Thank you for your review for your recent stay with us. The team and I are delighted that you had a great stay and found the service, room and breakfast very much to your liking. The in room product in our Executive Rooms is called Plantation and this is derived from Tea plants and is a great and unique product, the room scent is also from this product range.

We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back again sometime in the future. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed here for a weekend break in London. It's perfectly situated for sightseeing being around the corner from Buckingham Palace. The lobby is stunning and the staff attentive without being too intrusive. The piano bar with a cocktail is a great way to spend and evening and the Quilon restaurant is a must.
We were upgraded on arrival which was a great plus (many thanks to the hotel for doing that). Our rooms was modern and spacious. The bed was luxurious and we both slept soundly. Our bathroom was large and again modern and well finished.
This would be my first choice when staying in london again

Room Tip: Courtyard facing rooms will be quieter
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Welshbod,

Thank you for sharing your experience as part of a short break in London. We are extremely pleased to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. Whilst we are delighted that you enjoyed your meal in Quilon, I hope tact we can entice you to dine in Bistro 51 on a future stay. Whilst the menu is different to Quilon, I can guarantee a great dining experience from the food to the service.

Thank you again for the review, we hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

I stayed just one night during march. As many of the other reviews have pointed, the lobby is quite a very nice, stylished and charming area of the hotel, but it stars and ends just there. And it started with the wrong foot for me, since when I arrived at the hotel and asked about my room at the front desk, they could not find any reservation under my name beacause in their system it was booked for the same day but one month later (I had to show my printed confirmation, and still they tried to make me wait for my room beacause of their problem with their reservation system).
The hotel itself is a massive victorian construction with lots of rooms, spread in different wings, with very old windy, irregular and weird corridors. I was given a room which was situated in one of the old and not updated wings of the hotel. Really really dissapointed. The room was just next to a maintenance room so I was bother by different noices during the night, really awful. I have to do justice to the bed that was the nice soft and proper touch for this "classy" hotel, but nevertheless bathroom flooded after take a shower, furniture almost aching (because of the lack of proper renovation), and the list may continue. Breakfast was not great for the hotel level, it was not really varied in choices (fruits, cold cuts, pastries, etc). Location good, but not for a memorable stay in London (If it's your first time in the city, you can save time being in the area, close to major attractions).
Really dissapointing and a shame for a brand like Taj Hotels. I habe to recognized the care and consideration of its staff, after complained for the bad experience I think was the front desk manager, who appologized for this and put 60 pounds of credit on my credit card.
I would only recommend the renovated rooms, only if they are what the brand published on their web site, but I truly think that nothing at the hotel works in a level of excellence.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Darnok
MGR_SJCTAJ, Manager at St. James' Court, A Taj Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear Darnock,

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay with us. We were disappointed to read in this review that you were not happy with the stay and that the issues started from your arrival at the hotel. We regret that there was an input error meaning that the reservation was booked for the wrong month. I understand that this was quickly resolved for you, but then you were not happy with the room allocation.

As you have already reasied some of these issues with the management already, most of them have already been addressed in the room and now you have shared more information regarding the breakfast that I can now also address with the team We truly value this feedback and it is now for us to do something with it.

Thank you again for the feedback and I sincerely hope that we will be able to welcome you back to see the changes that have been made.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Booked this hotel for my wife's 30th Birthday, we were early to arrive so just checked our bags in so we could go and enjoy London. Upon our return we found we had been upgraded to an amazing room and even had a birthday cake waiting for us which was a lovely touch! Every member of staff we came across couldn't do enough for us. Our only regret was that we couldn't stay longer!

• Stayed: March 2014
MGR_SJCTAJ, Manager at St. James' Court, A Taj Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

Dear Jacklou82,

Thank you for the review following your stay to celebrate your wife's 30th birthday. The team and I are delighted to read that you both had a great stay with us and the service from the staff made your stay particularly enjoyable.

We hope to welcome you back again for a slightly longer stay. Thank you again for sharing your stay experience.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Glad to have checked-in today at London's newest luxe hotel !! The St. James' Court, A Taj Hotel, is a Great London Luxe Biz hotel !! It has great Location, Fabulous Service, Delicious food in breakfast, lunch, evening snacks & drinks, and dinner ! It offers free Internet access, super-quick laundry & shoe-shine, very good and comfortable rooms with enough & more electrical sockets/pins for multiple devices, and a great Spa + Gym !

The valets, housekeeping & front-desk staff, bell-boys, concierges, and all else are great, led by a very competent GM - Mr. Digvijay Sinh !

Loved the 5-night stay ! We got an upgrade too !

2  Thank MagicCarp8

Dear ankitdmittal,

Thank you for sharing your 5 night stay experience. We are absolutely delighted to read that you enjoyed many different aspects of your stay. These supported by great service from the team meant a excellent and enjoyable stay experience.

Thank you for the review, we hope to be your hotel of choice when returning to London. Thank you again for the review.