“Sensational Hotel”

St. James' Court, A Taj Hotel
Ranked #173 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed for 3 nights in this remarkable hotel. The design, the building the location, everything was fantastic.

The hotel is located just a stoll from the Buckingham Palace and BigBen, and also a ncie walk to London eye area and the West End. You do get treated really well here and everyone is so nice and friendly.

I only had two negative experiences while there, one being at check in the receptionist could not find my reservation even though I had the booked confirmation print out with me, I had to go through when I reserved, how much I payed, was breakfast included etc. this was a birthday gift for my partner who was standing next to me, so giving over how the details of how much it costs was quite unpleasant.

Other negative being I found one waitress in the cocktail lounge rather pushy, we had a night cap and then another was suggested, my partner did not really want another but ended ordering another after a bit of "go on go on go on" we went up to the room with them and she poured it down the sink. For the price I was livid!ha.

But all in all its a fantastic hotel with really lovely people and service. The housekeeping team deserve a special mention, they are so nice, dicreet and professional You know you are in good hands, as are the concierge.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Treasaigh T
MGR_SJCTAJ, Manager at St. James' Court, A Taj Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Treasaigh T,

Thank you for the review following your recent stay to celebrate your partner's birthday. Whilst we were delighted to read that you generally enjoyed this experience, I was disappointed to read of the 2 issues that you did encounter during your stay. I hope to ascertain when you stayed and so I can review both of these issues and ensure corrective action is undertaken.

St James' Court, A Taj Hotel

Write a ReviewReviews (3,715)

Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Overall fantastic hotel. Excellent service and the staff were all very pleasant and attentive.
My fiancé and I stayed for 3 nights for his 30th birthday. When we arrived our room was upgraded and there was a cake in the room with a Happy 30th Birthday message which was lovely....and tasted soooo good.
We ate in the bistro which was very nice and we recieved a free dessert as it was my fiancés birthday. Again another great touch to make to make us feel special.
The hotel itself is very grand and the decor, staff attentiveness and cleanliness of the hotel done to a high standard.
The location also really makes this hotel worth while staying at with just a 5 minute walk you are outside Buckingham palace.

We are both looking forward to staying at this hotel in the future and would definitely recommend to Friends and family.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elizabeth F
MGR_SJCTAJ, Manager at St. James' Court, A Taj Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Elizabeth F,

Thank you for the review of your 3 night stay with us. The team and I are delighted to read from the review that you had a thoroughly great stay and found the hotel, service and hospitality to a high standard that made your birthday celebrations to be a memorable one.

We thank you for the review and for the recommendation to you friends and family and readers of this review. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Had a wonderful stay at the hotel, immaculate and very well presented. Room was lovely and received a complimentary sweet for my birthday was very happy, would recommend this hotel and a lovely walk to Buckingham palace

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nat Nick P
MGR_SJCTAJ, Manager at St. James' Court, A Taj Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Nat Nick P,

Thank you for the review following your stay to celebrate your 40th Birthday. The team and I are delighted to read that you had a great stay and you celebrated this special occasion with us. We hope to welcome you back again soon to celebrate another milestone, or just a break away in London.

Thank you for the review of your stay.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We booked this hotel for two nights (pre-Globus trip) when they were having a special rate many months before our trip. It was an excellent location for walking to London sights. We even walked to a McDonald's for breakfast each morning (and on one morning discovered from the locals where to wait to see the queen appear at a special event).
Our room was located in the older building, which needed updating, but the amenities were good, and the room was neat and clean. Our ceiling began to leak the first evening of our stay during a rain shower, but we were quickly relocated to another floor and another room in the same building. We have never had this experience in any other hotel in our travels. Employees were very helpful.

Room Tip: Look for bargains online. Top floor of older building may have a leaky ceiling. We did not use any...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear retiredteachers2006,

Thank you for the review following your stay with us. Despite the issue with the flooded roof that you experienced, I was pleased that we were able to relocate you quickly and efficiently and that you were not too inconvenienced for this issue.

You have highlighted the great location of the hotel and this is one of our strongest attributes, but for us it is the service and comfort of our guests that are our number 1 priority.

Thank you again for the review, we hope to welcome you back on the not too distant future.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at St James Court for 6 nights. It was a great hotel, but there are definitely some things to note.

First the positives:
Location. Like everyone says, the hotel is in a good spot, although it was a bit confusing to find from the tube at first. We used the St James tube station, as the Victoria one is under construction and in an unappealing area. It is situated steps away from Buckingham Palace, but is quiet and away from the throngs of tourists.

The Staff. Everyone was very lovely and helpful. The concierge was able to help with directions several times. The maid service was also great. The room was always made up when we returned in the afternoon for a break in our day.

Courtyard. It was lovely to look out our room and watch events going on.

A few negatives:
We asked for a renovated room with a nice courtyard view and were told we had to pay for it even though we had booked a superior room (which was an option when it was still Crowne Plaza). It was 25 pounds extra per day which was about 43 US dollars daily. It was worth it, but honestly, don't expect an automatic upgrade like a lot of the reviews seem to lead you to believe. I also overheard several other people asking for a nice room and were told it could only be done for a hefty fee. Also, the room was not ready until around 3pm. After an overnight flight, it was a rough day since we just walked around until then. I know they were doing their best, but just be aware, if you want a nice room and are checking in early, you WILL have to wait. Our room was on the 5th floor and was quite nice and large, however. We were pleased with it at the end.
Second, the shower had horrible pressure, which so many people had mentioned before. I rolled my eyes at that initially, but its so true, its bad. If you are used to a US shower, be prepared. There were two temperatures, cold and luke warm. Not deal breaking, but be aware.
Finally, the hallways are certainly old and do not match the decor of the lobby. It really should not affect your stay, though, as you don't hang out in the halls!

All in all, it was a good stay and a decent hotel in the heart of London.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ALtravel1223

Dear ALtravel1223,

Thank you for your review following your recent 6 night stay with us. The team and I were delighted to read some aspects of your stay were great, but disappointed to read of your frustrations and disappointment in other aspects of your stay.

Our executive Rooms are a different room category to the Classic room that was booked and so there is a price difference between the 2 types of rooms. Whilst I appreciate that sometimes we do upgrade rooms for our guests, this is certainly not something that we do for all guests as our availability of rooms will very much dictate what we can do. I am pleased you found the upgrade good value for money and this was at a slightly discounted rate had you booked the room in advance. I will review both the corridor and the shower to ensure that they are presented correctly and in good working order.

Thank you again for the review and the feedback.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We had a weekend away in London
over all the the hotel was very good
We had dinner and afternoon tea at the hotel both of which I can recommend

The room we had though on the top floor was very small and very tired. The bathroom was tiny.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
MGR_SJCTAJ, Manager at St. James' Court, A Taj Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear barrington594,

Thank you for your review following your weekend stay from April 2014. Whilst we were pleased that you enjoyed the evening dinner as well as the afternoon tea, we were disappointed that you did not like the room that was allocated to you for this stay. I hope to establish where and when you stayed and so a review of the bedroom can be undertaken.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We enjoyed our 2 night stay at St James Court very much.
Beautiful building/courtyard.
We had a recently refurbished room -level 3 overlooking the courtyard .
The room was very good-2 large windows.The bathroom was spacious and classy.
Great location-obviously close to Buckingham Palace and close to St James Park tube station and Victoria.
The courtyard was lovely for a late evening drink on a nice evening.
Service was first class in all areas.
As with some of the other reviews I would say that the breakfasts weren't 5 star quality but they were good,also the breakfast area was a bit cramped-they might want to look at this in the future.
Overall excellent and we would thoroughly recommend the hotel

Room Tip: We had room 330 which was excellent -on level 3 and overlooking the courtyard
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Graham T,

Thank you for the review following your stay in room 330. We are delighted that you liked the room as well as the service throughout the hotel, but specifically in the Courtyard. I appreciate the feedback regarding the breakfast room situation and we are continuing to look for a long term solution to provide a space that is larger and can accommodate more people.