“A wonderful way to spend an afternoon!”

The Diamond Jubilee Tea Salon
Ranked #606 of 22,373 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$58 - US$71
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: St. James's
Description: The tradition of taking tea and that little bit of something between lunch and dinner has long since been a feature at Fortnum & Mason. Our tranquil Diamond Jubilee Tea Salon was opened by HM The Queen and has since become a stylish destination for the most traditional of afternoon teas.
“A wonderful way to spend an afternoon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

Came here with my mum and we were very impressed. The service was faultless. The food was yummy and there was a lovely selection of teas. We also pushed the boat out and had champagne! Beautiful surroundings accompanied by a wonderful pianist. The staff were extremely attentive and we were very well looked after. A fantastic way to spend a leisurely afternoon, with a bit of shopping thrown in! Can't wait to go back!

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
“High tea at its best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

You get what you pay for and here is no exception. The quintessential English decor/atmosphere, the professional and courteous service, and the exquisite food delights makes this restaurant quite superior to other establishments offering high tea. Yes it is expensive but it is not every day you are going to eat here and as a treat it is an experience most memorable indeed. My daughter recently celebrated her 9th birthday here with three friends having afternoon tea. Despite their age, they were still treated as respected guests and F & M made her birthday an extremely happy one. Would definitely recommend this restaurant for a celebration or just to spoil yourself in sheer indulgence!

Rochester, England, United Kingdom
“What a disappointment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

Having been many times to Fortnums for afternoon tea and loved the experience,our son treated us again last Sunday.on arrival We were told that it should not be too long and sat down on a sofa to wait,almost immediately we were taken to the front dining room and were seated at a six person table, after a while the waitress came up and asked "where is the rest of your party."We replied this is it,she said" who was sitting with you then?i replied I don't know ! That lady and child just sat down!" Oh ! She replied, you will have to move,how embarrassing!,, we had to retrace our steps and go and wait again.everyone stared at us as it looked as if we were being kicked out! We sat again and were eventually called to the back restaurant ,a totally different atmosphere pervadedin this room,it seemed dark somehow.our table was pushed against the wall and because I am disabled,found this awkward and painful,it was obvious that I was in pain and yet nobody asked if I was ok.previously a different chair and cushion has been offered,not this time! Nobody gave a damn and the whole experience was unpleasant AND embarrassing. A lovely tearister came up and we ordered our tea,he served it beautifully with just the right amount of ceremony he was friendly and pleasant,if it had not been for him,I think we would have left!A waitress asked for our tea order,we ordered the savoury tea and we asked for a vegetarian selection for my husband.When his selection arrived it was the same tea as the rest of us.I said my husband is vegetarian,what is he going to eat,she shrugged and pointed to the salmon scones,"THIS is not meat" she said sarcastically "no it is fish said I he is vegetarian,"she just shrugged and gave us the attitude of "do I care?" At that point our tea rister came up again and asked if there was a problem. We explained and he immediately took charge and said " ok how about sweet scones with jam,? Vegetarian friendly sandwiches and some cakes,Dudley said great,thanks! That's all I wanted."Having eaten our savoury selection( the salmon scones were hard and way too "salmony" there was no need. To put salmon in the actual scone as well as salmon on top! And four of them ridiculous,where were the promised prosciutto scones? We then waited and waited for cakes,eventually the girl came up and my daughter in law asked if we were getting any cakes? We were told "no! You had savoury tea,I pointed out that the menu said we had cakes from the trolley! She said no you don't! At this point our saviour came up again,saying "oh dear ! Not more problems! He then offered us the same cake selection as my husband or cakes from the trolley,I think he was ,by then aware that we were decidedly "cheesed off! To put it politely. We made sure that we gave HIM a decent tip and left soon after.
One does not pay that amount of money for couldn't care less service!!
To compound the problem,I emailed Fortnums on arrival back home and said that I was less than happy with our experience,gave them a telephone number and asked them to telephone and discuss this,they clearly have the same appalling lack of customer care as they have not done so!therfore they have lost some very loyal patrons,as I always spend a vast amount of money when I visit the store,normally when we go for afternoon tea!

1 Thank ChristineHubbard
Tewkesbury, United Kingdom
“Great Restraunt”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Friendly welcome, great food and brilliant service.......except......when we sat at the table the previous occupants managed to spill marmalade onto the seat which my wife sat on! She moved round and used her tissues to clean the seat. The staff apologised but did not offer any recompense. Still it would not stop us going again. Great place.

Visited August 2014
Medina, Ohio
“Lovely but expensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

On the hunt for the ultimate London high tea experience, I reserved the Sunday afternoon tea for my husband and myself. The quality of the little cakes is excellent, the pianist is talented, and the servers are pleasant. The biggest negative, as others have pointed out, is the price. It is extremely expensive. We could have had several ordinary cream teas at other cafes for the price of a single "afternoon tea" here. But of course, Fortnum and Mason is not ordinary.