“Location is not everything”
Review of Arlington House

Arlington House
Ranked #35 of 823 Speciality Lodging in London
Brisbane, Australia
“Location is not everything”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

This is a very expensive place to stay.. Even by London standards. It is superbly located next to the Ritz and Green Park. The door staff and ground floor reception staff are appalling.. . Absolutely not interested in helping in any way. The internet in my two week stay worked for four days only and then only just for but a few days. Had a lovely verandah/ patio but wasn't given a key to get out there for four days.
The housemaids were lovely.
What a mixed bag,,,
Get rid of the ground floor staff. Fix the internet.
Perhaps then it might be worth what I paid

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Gerard C
Arlington H, General Manager at Arlington House, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us on your recent stay at Arlington House Apartments.

Firstly I am very sorry to hear of your disappointment with certain aspects of your stay with us and I must apologise that overall we failed to live up to your expectations especially with regards to the staff in the Front of House.

I am indeed deeply concerned to read about your interaction with this team and I will certainly be taking steps to resolve this situation.

I realise this has not been a perfect stay for you but would very much like if you could give us another opportunity to restore your confidence in AH . If you would like to contact me directly then I would be more than happy to take care of the arrangements for you.

I look forward to hearing from you and hopefully having the pleasure to welcoming you back to Arlington House Apartments.

GENERAL MANAGER

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Arabic first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

If you are looking for a spacious apartment that is centrally located, this is the place for you. However,expect living with a mouse, in a very badly cleaned and serviced apartment, with useless reception staff who know absolutely nothing about anything, and have 3 STRAIGHT days of no internet with only an apology letter from the GM.
This is one of the most expensive furnished apartments in london and we have had a mouse in it for the past 14 days. The GM shouted at me when i told him that this is unacceptable and the reception refused to come up and catch it. We constantly see it in the kitchen and running around the corridor. The exterminators have FINALLY come twice but it is still here. It is disgusting and a hazard to my heatlh as i am pregnant.
Finally, the office mentioned that they would be renting out this apartment on the same day that we check out without addressing the mouse issue. If you check in, i recommend bringing some cheese with you incase you see our mouse! I will never, ever, stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Tala F
Arlington H, General Manager at Arlington House, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience on your stay with us at Arlington House Apartments and I would certainly firstly like to apologise to for the uninvited guest you have had in your apartment. However, I do also feel its important to that I respond to your comments in a factual manner and address each of your listed concerns.

Yes I am aware that there is a continuous issue with the mouse since you arrived and we have had the company who take care of these issues visit three times your apartment along with my Head Housekeeper ,who has met with you on a few occasions. We also did offer you the option of moving to another apartment but I know when you are settled that this can be quite an inconvenience .

I am not sure why you said I shouted at you and I mostly firmly dispute that accusation. After we spoke I sent you a letter of apology and gave you my direct line if you needed to contact me again. I understand entirely your frustration about the mouse but the porters are not equipped to be able to deal with this . As soon as they were made aware they informed me and I called out our pest control team.

We did experience an issue with the internet last week end . It was a technical issue and we tried very hard with our providers to get the problem resolved . This we were not able to do successfully until Monday morning. I was not able to apologise to all our guests in 98 apartments so I typed a letter of apology and placed it in a stand by the elevators explaining our current status and update both on Saturday and on Sunday.

I am not sure where you learned that the apartment is being re-let today. This wont be the case for two reason one is we have granted you a late check out and secondly the pest control company are booked for tomorrow to come back in and re access the situation in that apartment before we re assign it again.

With regards to the rate you paid I think the rate of £525.00 per night plus vat in a three bedroom apartment with direct views onto Green Park would not place us as the most expensive apartment in London.

However, I do agree this is your perception of your stay and I respect that and I am sorry that you didn't make contact with me directly. Once again my apologies about these issues and I wish we had been able to resolve these to your satisfaction but unfortunately on this occasion we were not.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 9 December 2013

This is a great serviced apartment for a very specific traveller. There is no restaurant/bar (but within 50 yards, there is every possible variety). There is no concierge, although there is a hall porter who is very helpful. Basically it is a well apportioned, clean, well designed room with a good bathroom and a fully functional kitchen. If you don't need the fancy service, room service and internal hotel facilities, then this is a great place to stay. I wouldn't recommend it for families or couples looking for a luxury break - as there is a lot of self-catering, putting away, etc! But for a great deal without all of the over service fuss, it is a very comfortable apartment in a fantastic location

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Arlington H, General Manager at Arlington House, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Nigel O

Thank you very much for your taking the time to share your experience with us after your recent stay with us here at Arlington House Apartments. I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the accommodation provided met with your expectations.

Your description of our establishment is indeed correct, however we do have some very comfortable larger apartments for families who may enjoy the "home from home" experience.

Thank you again and I do hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back on your next visit to London.

Bangkok/Zurich/London
Reviewed 11 November 2013

Over the last two decades the rent has gone up considerably, however, comparing the beautifully furnished, roomy and comfortable apartments with other Mayfair locations at even half the price this is still first choice. This is according to our selection criteria: we stay "home" a lot, want easy access to the parks and public transport, excellent restaurants in walking distance, and above all a nice place just like your own. If you just use the place to sleep in it is not necessary. The service is good, friendly and efficient. During our annual stay in London we shall again stay in Arlington House and hope the prices are not increased, even though all the major banks have branches in the vicinity! If you like to see green trees choose any apartment with "Parkview" if you like lots of light and an airy place ask for the top floor.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Arlington H, General Manager at Arlington House, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Thank you very much for you wonderful review on your recent stay with us here at Arlington House. We really appreciate you taking the time to do this and of course we are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and especially the apartment and the view from the living room and bedroom.

That is indeed one of the benefits of being on the top floor on the south wing of the building that you get that wonderful panoramic view of some of the main attractions in the city.

We very much look forward to welcoming you both back next year and we will do out best to allocate the same apartment for you. Let us know when you have finalised your dates.

La Jolla
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We had lots of space in our apartment and the location was terrific. The apartment was very clean and we enjoyed having a nice living room to lounge around and eat dinner. Some funny experiences in the apartment with the kitchen electricity going out when we were cooking dinner. They had to keep turning it on just so I could finish cooking our meal. There was not one spice ( not even salt and pepper - no sugar ) in the kitchen, so if you are staying there, bring your favorites from home. No paper towels and no Kleenex. There is a microwave but the plates have metal in the ceramic so you can't use them in the microwave. Clearly whomever decorated the apartments didn't have a clue.
They have a nice coffee press and a tea kettle, so breakfast was easy. We would stay there again now we know what we need to bring with us.

Room Tip: The hotel was very quiet... I would imagine all the rooms to be good.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank victoriaLaJolla
Arlington H, General Manager at Arlington House, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us on your recent stay here at Arlington House Apartments.

Overall I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and with the exception of a few issues, you found the accommodation and services met with your expectations.

I am not sure about the issue with the electricity unless some appliance was faulty or had water spilt on it !

I note your comment about "spices". with a very diverse range of nationalities staying here this would be a difficult decision but in terms of salt & pepper I will follow up on that suggestion. We will look at the possibility of providing the Kleenex and kitchen towelling as you commented on as well. We value our guest feedback greatly and welcome any suggestions if it will ultimately have some benefit for other guests.

I very much look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit and please feel free to contact me directly to secure your reservation.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I've previously stayed in hotels where the rooms were not up to standard and worth little of the money that I have forked out. However, the same cannot be said for Arlington House as I received excellent cleaning service from the housekeeping team.

Travelling around from the hotel was simple as it is centrally located and is practically on the doorstep of Bond Street and Oxford Circus. Check-in service was fairly easy and the rooms were comfortable and aesthetically pleasing.

Overall, would really recommend staying at this hotel!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Arlington H, General Manager at Arlington House, responded to this review, 30 September 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your recent experience with us relating to your stay here at Arlington House Apartments.

I was delighted to read your review and was so pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay and that accommodation provided met with your expectations.

Without question we have a great location and as you said everything is on your doorstep or with in easy walking distance.

I will be sure to share you positive feedback with the Housekeeping Team.

Thank you again and I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back to Arlington House on your next visit to London.

edinburgh
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I will start with the good part - the apartment was superb. It was roomy, well laid out and very clean. We had 2 bedrooms one of which had an en-suite bathroom, a sitting room plus a kitchen and a second bathroom. It was well decorated and very comfortable. The location was great and there are many good bars and restaurants in the area.
On the down side the greeting we got on checking in was appalling! We arrived at 1.30 to be told that our apartment was not ready which was not unexpected but we were also told that the previous guests had not checked out yet and he had no idea how long it would be. When asked if he could give an estimate of how long it would be he just shrugged his shoulders and
said it could be 5 0r 6 oclock. As check in time was 2.00 we said that this was not acceptable and only then did he agree to contact the office. After a short wait a manager came down and said we could have a different apartment which would be ready by 2.45 which we were happy with. The guy on reception made no attempt to redeem the situation or offer to keep our bags .
We formed the impression over our 5 day stay that they were not particularly interested in guests from the uk as opposed to overseas visitors who were maybe staying longer.
The apartment we were allocated was number 67 which is at the front of the building and we discovered the downside at 7.30 on our first morning when noisy construction work began.
It transpired that there are 3 separate lots of construction at present - two across from the entrance and one right next door which was just under our apartment. Although this is not the
fault of Arlington House it impacted on our stay as any time spent in the apartment during working hours were not particularly pleasant due to the noise. It may well be that apartments at the back of the building are not affected by this.
On reflection these apartments although fairly expensive are good value for money and i would stay there again in the future despite the attitude of the check in staff.

Room Tip: Check if construction is going on and get a room away from the noise
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank fergus7edinburgh
Arlington H, General Manager at Arlington House, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us on your recent stay here at Arlington House Apartments.

Firstly thank you for your very positive comments on the apartment and I am glad you at least liked the accommodation provided. However I must firstly apologise for the conduct of our associate who greeted you and handled your check in on arrival. This behaviour is totally unacceptable and I will most certainly be following up on this with the individual concerned.

Regarding the noise element I can understand your frustration here and as you stated I have no control over this. In London unfortunately one is never far away from some construction but I do agree it can be a disturbance if you wish to spend sometime in your apartment during the day time. Yes on the Garden/Park side the apartments are totally quite and away form any noise as they are all on the back of the building overlooking the Garden and Green Park.

I take on board your comments regarding the attention given to Longer staying guests. I was not aware of this but I will discuss with the team your observations.

I am however delighted that this not so great experience will not deter you from staying with us again. I would be delighted to upgrade your accommodation on your next visit to a quite apartment overlooking the Garden. If you would like to contact me directly I would be more than happy to take care of the arrangements for you.

I look forward to meeting you on your next visit to Arlington House and in the meantime if I can be of any further assistance then please do not hesitate to let me know.