“Rather uninspiring Greek style food”
Review of Bacchus Greek Taverna - CLOSED

Bacchus Greek Taverna
Cuisines: Greek
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Rather uninspiring Greek style food”
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Although the food here is edible and the prices average for the area, there is a rather forlorn and unloved feel to the ambience, food and service. The place was quiet for a Saturday afternoon, the place probably only filled up as we left as other nearby restaurants were becoming busy. I ordered spanakopita to start followed by dolmades with salad and saute potatoes.

The waitress suddenly realised she hadn't took our drink order before we asked to order the food.
We were then given some rather watery olives. The starter came with hardly any salad or dressings. The dolmades were rather runny as well, with only 3 small potatoes. I strongly suspect that the restaurant buys in most items and/or heats them from frozen.

Surely there are better examples of Greek food in the nearby area. We also visited several years ago and I am sure it was better then.

• Visited February 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Good food but very quiet”
Reviewed 1 July 2012

We went at lunchtime on a Friday and there was only one other diner (now having read Matt W's report I can see why). However our meal was good - the chicken kebabs were tasty, the rice was good and the salad fresh. We had the four colour dip to start (taramosalata, houmous, aubergine and tzaziki) but had to order bread to go with it! However the bread came with olives and large green chillies which made up for it. We were full after this so did not order sweet but we were given some Turkish (?!) delight and a couple of small baklavas with the bill. I actually enjoyed the stucco walls and the pictures of old Cyprus.

• Visited June 2012
London
“A Greek Tragedy”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

One of the worst meals I've ever had in a restaurant. Having decided to try somewhere different and knowing we were unlikely to get into perennial favourite greek favourite Lemonia in Primrose Hill at short notice, we ventured to Bacchus, just down from the Everyman on Hampstead HIgh St.

I can't recall anyone having mentioned eating there, but it's faded 70's chic looked kinda charming. After ten minutes the stucco plaster and old maps of cyprus seemed like the best thing about it.

The first sign that something was wrong was the drinks. There was something old and unloved about the glass of apple and cranberry that turned up. Like it had been sitting in the fridge for a month. The King Prawn kebab came out half cooked. It tasted like it hadn't quite fully defrosted, and rather than being grilled was just heated up. I sent it back, but it came back five minutes later not much better. I regretted not sending it back again.

My partner's Sardines and rice was one of the weirdest things either of had tasted in a long time. The rice tasted like someone had poured old soap suds on it. Honestly. Really, weird. Old soap suds mixed with cooking oil that had gone off. The smell was overpowering and after one mouthful it all had to be removed from her plate.

We complained but the waitress said the oil was fresh that day. Where from? The used car plant? We told her to tell the chef but I doubt even he was foolhardy enough to try this truly disgusting smelling and tasting food. My partner thought maybe her mistake was going 'off menu', but how 'off menu' can swapping chips for rice be at a Greek restaurant? 'Off menu' enough, I guess.

The restaurant started to fill up and we wondered if any of these people could be regular customers. Hard to believe. At just under £40 it was a reasonably expensive disgusting meal. Don't go. The waitress was sweet, but one girl for fifteen tables seem too much for her.

• Visited April 2012