“Bad service. Bad food. Terrible smell.”
Review of The Woolpack

The Woolpack
Ranked #6,448 of 23,211 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Southwark
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I went to the Woolpack with friends a few months ago and was really impressed with the food we had. So, today we thought we would go back again as it seemed like a safe bet.
Unfortunately, it felt like a completely different pub. I ordered drinks and food at the bar from a barmaid who barely made any eye contact, just took my money without a word or smile. Not a great start. Someone suggested that they were maybe just stressed because it was Easter but the place really wasn't that busy at all. How hard is it just to be pleasant? I received a poorly poured pint of Guinness and took it back to my table to wait for the food.
When our food arrived, it was again presented without a word (a different waitress this time). No 'Enjoy your food', or 'do you need anything else?' My burger was overcooked and dry.
And - the place smelt awful! Unfortunately I had already ordered our food before I sat down and noticed it.
I don't know what has happened to this bar but it's a real shame. I won't be rushing back.

There are newer reviews for The Woolpack

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Really good pub that is cosy in winter and fantastic sheltered beer garden in summer. Has good gastro-pub meals, decent ales, cocktails and is dog friendly. Staff are consistently excellent and we have been regulars fo a number of years.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

The only real problem with The Woolpack is that it's impossible to get a seat, especially during winter when the beer garden is too cold. The food is a gastro-ish pub food and the burgers come highly recommended. They're meaty and full of flavour and go well with a pint. Love The Woolpack but hate the fact that it's almost impossible to get a table...

Reviewed 12 January 2014

Good selection of beers, excellent pub food, great ambience. We tried to get in on a Friday night
but far to busy with the local office workers. However, weekend lunchtimes are much more relaxed.

Would definitely recommend....

Reviewed 23 December 2013

The immediate family congregated from all over the uk and the world, venue selected for location, positive reviews and the ability to manage our number..
The Woolpack was fairly quiet during our party's arrival between 12.45 and 1.45 on Sunday 22nd of December, all were duly ushered to the upstairs dining area onto our prior reserved tables.
There was patience from the team during our protracted meal ordering.
The main number in our company opted for traditional Roast Beef Sunday/lunch,myself included at a ticket price of £14.00. (our total spend at the visit was north of £350.00p inc wine, ale, soft drinks)
The meals arrived in adequate speed-time from the waiting on staff, save for one variance in the ordering, half a roast chicken which arrived ten minutes after the others selection.
I will go into much detail, my comments refer to my own tastings and opinion, the beef was a cheap cut, served to thickly, long cooked and extremely tough even though serrated knives were supplied, the flavour was radiant.
The roast potatoes were a poor imitation of sallow appearance, cooked yes,NOT ROASTED, chalky and without much taste. Vegetables were curiously secreted in a miniscule quantity, (carrots and chopped cabbage)under the meals other contents, not enough were provided for a taste comment to be scripted.
A portion of Yorkshire pudding was excellent and met my expectation easily as did a circular helping of seasoning. The gravy sadly was little more than coloured, no discernable taste evident.
In respect of a sweet/pudding offering , a kind of 'henry ford' choice, it's anything you want as long as it's Xmas yule log, none of the party opted for that, quite a few table negative mutterings were evident the result .
I endured a three hour train journey to meet most of the family which was an enjoyable anticipation and actual event, however with some better seasonal anticipation by the Woolpack, in respect of quality control, capability, offerings by the senior management, proprietors/group/brewery especially, the time could easily have been fantastic.

1  Thank G778TMPaul_S