“A good, reliable pub”

Cuisines: British
Neighbourhood: Holborn
Neighbourhood: Holborn
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I've used the Oldcastle so many times and, while it's not pub heaven, it is a pub I know I can get reliable food (never any problems with orders) and a good selection of interesting cask beers. I had a couple of pints of Welton's Winter Heat, a stout made with chilli. It was excellent. So far I've had only positive experiences of this pub, and will come back often.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Me and my girlfriend went here for a quick lunch. I ordered a normal all day brunch. A vegetarian brunch come out as the girl behind the bar clicked the wrong button. The waitress had bad attitude and finally changed it. It was the same egg chips and beans that had come out the first time and they were cold. It was now accompanied by some undercooked bacon and sausage. Just awful.

3  Thank 527adam
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Good beer, fantastic food, good atmosphere, clean bar, efficient service, friendly staff - everything you need from a good pub!

We ate here on a Friday night, the place was packed and the service was excellent for both drinks and food. We had the Hogdog and Gammon and chips, both of which were very good portion sizes and were both very tasty. Would not hesitate to eat here again!

Reviewed 1 November 2013

Six of us went for lunch. Two of us had the Thursday Curry special-mmh yummy. One had ham egg and chips and the other two had pannini. Service was efficient. Staff efficient and friendly. I would recommend this place. Great food at a great price.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Great value for money. Haven't ever had mashed peas before but the stuff was ok. Service was fast. Portion was really big.