Mentone Hotel
US$215
US$188
galahotels.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewscartwright gardensrussell squarefull english breakfastkings crossbritish museumst pancraseuston stationno elevatorquiet areatwin roomshort walkbeanstea and coffeepubs and restaurantsexcellent breakfastwould stay againcouple of nights
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I've stayed a few times at this hotel. For the price it's good value. Rooms are clean, breakfast is very good (cooked to order and choice of the usual Full English components - I always go for Bacon & Eggs), free WiFi - which worked for me everywhere in the hotel - and tea/coffee in the room. Remember it's in London so don't expect huge rooms - you won't get them anywhere in this area in this price bracket.

Room Tip: Rooms 10 to 13 are on the top (4th?) floor and the final staircase to them is narrow and twisting. Avoid if you're not nimble or struggle climbing several flights of stairs.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I stay a couple of days here. Is a very nice location. Rooms are clean, large, furniture is new. Location is another reason for recommends this hotel: is very close to King Cross station- Eurostar, British Museum, Oxford Street.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dorin S
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times so have stayed in several different rooms. This time, because I had booked the only remaining room, I had a triple room as a single! I have always found this hotel friendly, clean and efficient with an excellent breakfast. It is most convenient for Euston, Kings Cross and St Pancreas stations and there is a good selection of food outlets in the area.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 August 2013

My family and I really liked this place. I was a bit small, but not by London standards. When we walked in, we were greeted by a very nice American man at the front desk who knew lots of good tips for us and recommended a delicious fish & chips place. It was the end of July when we stayed and the hotel is not air conditioned so it got a little sticky. We had our windows open (they only opened about an inch) but the street noise was quite loud.
The breakfasts were good, especially the warm croissants! The front desk was also kind enough to let us print out some tickets for a bus tour, right before they closed which was extremely helpful.
Overall a good stay, fairly priced and is only a 5 minute walk to the tube station (Russell Square).

Room Tip: I would advise against basement or street level rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2013

The Mentone Hotel is handy for St Pancras/King's Cross stations and Russell Square, located in a pleasant area opposite gardens containing tennis courts. The hotel is in a handsome terrace and seems to be two terraced houses knocked into one. However, on the inside, the hotel is bland and unimaginative. On arrival, the receptionist was brisk and unsmiling, and one of the first things she said to me was "£80 please!".

My single room was on the top floor. If you have difficulty walking, don't take a top-floor room as the final staircase is quite tricky to navigate. It was a typical small single-room for London, but it was at least fairly bright with modern, basic furniture. The window was at the rear of the hotel and there was no double-glazing, but it was nevertheless quiet. There was a roller blind as well as nice cheerful curtains, which helped cut out the early morning Summer light. However, I think the room must have been near to water pipes for a number of rooms, as I heard water running until the early hours of the morning - perhaps another disadvantage of the top floor. The shower-room looked a bit tired and cheerless, but it was functional and at least a bar of soap was provided.

Breakfast was served in a dining room in the basement. A buffet selection was crammed into a corner, with the obvious potential for congestion. The breakfast room got busy fairly quickly after the 8am start (on a Saturday). There was a limited but adequate choice of cold food in the buffet and hot food could be ordered from a menu. The breakfast staff were pleasant and efficient.

The main strength of this hotel is its location, the interior being quite unremarkable. Pre-Olympics, before London hotel prices went silly, I would have expected to pay £55-£65 per night for a hotel of this standard. Now, this was one of the few hotels that I could find under £100. At £80, it is perhaps a little over-priced but does offer an acceptable base for a short stay in London.

Room Tip: If you have difficult walking, don't accept a room on the top floor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo