“Pleasant surprise on the South Bank”

Novotel London City South
Ranked #275 of 1,063 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Swindon
“Pleasant surprise on the South Bank”
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I stayed at the Novotel as I was attending a conference nearby. Though I visit London often, I don't really know the south bank and chose this hotel on the basis of other TA reviews. As most others say the hotel is modern and the reception/bar/restaurant are all open plan. My bedroom was comfortable and well appointed though the bathroom being directly adjacent to the bed (behind sliding doors) is a little strange though with a seperate bath and shower was well appointed. The loo was in a seperate closet by the room door, which is typical Novotel, but intriguingly was where the ironing board is also stored.
The bar area is OK, but a little miniamalist for me, but good service nontheless. As there doesn't appear to be any decent restaurants within walking distance, I ate in the hotel on both nights and both the food and service was very good.
Breakfast was also pretty good with a reasonable buffet selection.
In terms of location, I walked the 20 mins to my conference (near Borough underground) on both days and it was fine. The hotel is very close to the Borough Market, for any foodies, and a short walk to the Tate Modern and Globe Theatre, though I must say I'm not sure if I'd want to walk around the hotel area at night.
In conclusion if you are on business in the area the hotel would be a good choice and the service is excellent. For tourists it may be a little inconvenient, unless of course you only want to visit the Tate Modern or Globe.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
CitySouth, Manager at Novotel London City South, responded to this review, 10 February 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for your comments and feedback. I agree, the South Bank is a great area in London and I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Novotel London City South hotel soon.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 7 February 2012

I nice modern hotel on the south side of the Thames. Rooms were modern and appropriately sized. Pricing was quite good - less than UKP 150 a night. Breakfast and hotel restaurant were very modern and sleek looking.

Hotel is about 1/2 mile from London Bridge Station and tube station. Quite convenient.

I would definitely stay here again.

Dear Reviewer,

My team and I very much appreciate you taking the time to review our hotel, and we’re glad to have been a part of your visit.

We hope to see you again in the very near future.

Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 1 February 2012

This hotel was a positive surprise. The room was decorated with Scandinavian type of light colours. The breakfast buffet had a lot of options (even fresh strawberries in the middle of winter!) and the staff was friendly. The path along The Thames is also just a few blocks away, if you want to go for a walk of jog in the morning.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Alannainen
Dear Reviewer,

I’m so glad that you had an enjoyable time during your stay at Novotel London City South. I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Just back from London with my two friends and our daughters, we had such a great time. We stayed at the Novotel London city south hotel and it was lovely we requested a inter-connecting room and we were accommodated it was very handy with 6 of us sharing. The hotel was very impressive and clean I would recommend this hotel and would have no problem returning there.

• Stayed January 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor following your recent stay at the Novotel London City South hotel.

I was delighted to hear that you overall enjoyed your stay with us and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 25 January 2012

The hotel is in an excellent location for long walks beside the Thames and for bus transportation to Regent Street and Oxford Circus. The rooms are in good order and quiet - my choice was one with a huge shower. Yes, everything was clean.
I found the desk staff to be cheerful and very helpful with directions.
Food at the hotel was not "fancy", but well presented - again by cheerful staff.
I will certainly continue to use Novotel/Sofitel hotels when convenient. One thing I would suggest: Please change a few rooms to twin beds so I can bring a friend. We do not find pull-outs comfortable or convenient.

Room Tip: Book early for better choice of rooms.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your very positive review about the hotel but more importantly about the team. I was very pleased to read you found the team cheerful and helpful and enjoyed the level of customer service.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 24 January 2012

I spent two nights at the Noveltel South and will do it again. The staff were lovely and helpful and the food was wonderful. I spent many wonderful hours on the Tower Bridge, the London Bridge. Walked around the Burroughs Market and ate soup in the Southwark Cathedral gardens. Late at night we walked to the Riverside and ate at The Greek. It was wonderful food to top off a wonderful day in a wonderful neighborhood. I would highly recommend it.

Room Tip: I was on the third floor and it was very quiet and I loved it.
1 Thank proudnanny
CitySouth, Manager at Novotel London City South, responded to this review, 25 January 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your very positive review about the Novotel London City South but more importantly about the team. I was very pleased to read you found the team very good and enjoyed the high level of customer service and quality of our food.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 January 2012

This is the first time our children had stayed in a Novotel hotel and they loved it (they thought it was very "posh"). Although we arrived shortly after 11.00 on a Saturday morning we were able to check into our room which was so helpful as we had a jammed pack day/evening ahead of us. Rooms were clean and very comfortable, our inclusive breakfast was fantastic with lots of choice. The only downside was the price of parking but we appreciate it is expensive where ever you park in London.
Would definitely stop here again.

Dear Reviewer,

I was delighted to hear that you overall enjoyed your stay with us and we were able to accommodate your early arrival request.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future