“Excellent value, excellent location.”

Novotel London City South
Ranked #275 of 1,069 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cleethorpes
“Excellent value, excellent location.”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

I have stayed in a few Novotel's which have always been pleasant, and this one in London did not disappoint.
We stayed at the end of November in a family room which was a lovely size and had everything that we needed.
The staff are extremely helpful and friendly, especially the reception staff who are very knowledgeable of the area.
The hotel is easy to find and is in a good location to catch the tube and access some of the best sights in London.
Breakfast was included with our room price and was lovely, no complaints. We also were give a 10% off card to use in the bar for staying in the hotel which came in handy.
Beautiful view of the Shard from the car park round the back of the hotel.
This hotel has everything anybody could need when staying in London and I would return anytime.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Victoria P, Manager at Novotel London City South, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay. I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Rooms Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

This is a fairly typical, not brilliant but adequate Novotel, in a good location about three minutes' walk from the splendid Borough Market.
The restaurant, which we used after having a full day out at Harry Potter World near Watford to avoid having to go back out into the cold, had a reasonable menu, but service was poor and slow and some of our order was wrong and some of the food was cold. It paid to complain. The food we hadn't ordered was taken away and replaced free of charge, and the cold food taken away and replaced with piping hot alternatives, so don't grit your teeth and stay silent.
The hotel's determination to profit from us for services that are normally a matter of courtesy left a bad taste. We called the hotel after booking on Expedia and asked for the number of a local private hire cab firm to arrange our travel to Universal Studios for the Harry Potter tour. They wouldn't give us one. They insisted they would arrange it. Smelling a rat, I demanded a number. They said they would call me back in five minutes. They never did call back, so we arranged it ourselves, finding a number online.
The proof in the pudding came on departure. Stupidly, perhaps, I asked them to call me a car for the short trip (three miles) to King's Cross. A black cab had brought us in for about £13, so I guessed this would be slightly cheaper. I asked the driver how much it would cost and he was vague. It was £17 and he eventually admitted £5 of that was going to the hotel. Won't return.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Marcello M
Victoria P, Manager at Novotel London City South, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Thank you for your review following your stay with us. I would like to clarify that the taxi company we use provides the hotel with a fixed price list for all journeys, rather than the cost varying due to traffic conditions. I will report the driver's comments to the management of the taxi company as this is not correct information. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Problems with the reservations (both hotel and Expedia) never corrected. The condition of this unit was below average: problems with maintenance (slow drains, leaky shower, damaged draperies, dirty carpeting, barely functioning frig) and with housekeeping which sometimes never answered the phone when called to make "corrections". Front desk staff varied but curt on average, and occasionally surly. While Novotel may be sensible for families since most UK hotels don't have space for 2 youngsters without additional booking, and the breakfasts seemed at least generous in size, couples or singles pay too much for less than average service (it never helps to have staff enter room without knocking when the "do not disturb" sign is on the door!), poor conditions and attitude, and rooms designed just above the budget level. This would be my last choice in London central in this price range. And so location as a substitute for all the problems? Not for me.

Room Tip: Stay at the Apex or another quality business hotel. If you have to stay here, avoid rooms on the st...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank goodmorning123
Thank you for your review, I’m so sorry that you were disappointed by your experience. I'm surprised to read your comments regarding service as you can see from previous reviews, our team has always had positive feedback however I will investigate all comments.

Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

This hotel was cheap when we booked it. We found it to be very clean, with friendly staff. The location was fine - 5 mins walk from London Bridge station, with a wonderful, close-up view of the Shard en route. The breakfast was superb.

I'd be surprised if you could get anywhere else as good as this, at this price, in London. We'd definitely stay here again on another short break.

Stayed December 2013
Many thanks for the positive comments, I’m happy we were able to make your stay with us so enjoyable. I hope we can welcome you back again very soon.

Horam, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at this hotel several times and have always been very happy.

The location is perfect for borough market, London bridge, tower if London etc all easily walkable. There are so many top quality restaurants in this area.

The hotel is very quiet and comfortable, good solid walls meant no noise from other rooms or people in the corridors, yes if you have the window opens you will get traffic noise, but this is the center of London!

The staff are very friendly and welcoming. Another very good stay, we would certainly recommend this hotel.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review following another stay at Novotel London City South. I'm pleased to read that you enjoyed your visit again and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We stayed at this property for a long weekend in London. The hotel is in a great location and is spotless. The fitness center is above average compared to similar hotels. Restaurant on site is a good option, but the 15.95GBP breakfast buffet is a seriously overpriced (if you’re there over the weekend, the Borough market is literally five minutes away with plenty of more interesting, local food options at a better price).

My only issue was with the room itself. The heat was stifling and there’s no air conditioning – just a system that allegedly circulates the air in a feeble attempt to cool the room. Engineering was called to assist, but we ultimately had to move rooms. No cart was offered to move our belongings (this after we had already unpacked) and the room we were moved to was smaller – no rate adjustment given, either. Staff didn't exactly seem too engaged to assist and viewed this as our issue and not theirs. Not a major service failure, but something I’ll keep in mind when booking travel in London again, especially since we travel to the city about six times a year.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Victoria P, Manager at Novotel London City South, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Many thanks for your comments. We appreciate all feedback and are glad you overall enjoyed your stay with us. I am really sorry to hear that you had to move rooms and felt the service was not up to your expectations which I’ll look into personally. I hope we can welcome you back to the Novotel London City South in the future

Reviewed 14 December 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a couple of times and on both occasions have been very disappointed. The bedrooms are very tired, the carpets are worn and the one in the room I stayed in was frayed at the door, the bathroom smelt of drains and the bed was positioned in the room so that it is difficult to get to the bathroom. On a brighter note the staff were very helpful and pleasant. I also enjoyed the breakfast very much and felt that there was plenty of choice.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Clare I
Thanks for leaving your thoughts here. The team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your posiite feedback in regards to the staff. We’ve taken note of your comments and do our utmost to address them.