“Nice hotel in a central location.”

Novotel London City South
Ranked #256 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 January 2014

The hotel itself is very modern but I feel some of the rooms are still in need of an update.

The first room I was given hadn't been cleaned and still had dirty towels on the floor and an unmade bed, the second room I was given was a disabled room with all lowered appliances and looked very dated and worn.

The hotel itself is in a very central location with good links to the rail network across London.

I was given the room complementary for a function but would not be happy paying the £155 per night for this quality of room.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Victoria P, Manager at Novotel London City South, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Many thanks for your comments. We appreciate all feedback and are glad you enjoyed your stay. I hope we can welcome you back to Novotel London City South very soon.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

The location was perfect for where I needed to be but I'll thank the efforts of my travel agent for that. The hotel is good, no better of a room than Holiday Inns or even some nice motels, really. I do believe the rooms were designed by drunks though. First in the door is the toilet room...about the size of a farm outhouse but you'll love the space after having been in their tiny elevator with 5 people w/luggage. You go around the corner to the bed and the washroom...the deep bath tub is to DIE for! Shower...no matter how tight I tried to close the door, it leaked all over the washroom floor but towels are free, no biggie. The blow dryer is under the desk on a curly cord so tight that you have to either fight with it or sit under the desk but I only used it to dry my j fake fur jacket trim. I don't know how people who like soft beds manage but I like firm beds and slept like a log. In spite of being on a busy road and it being New Years eve, I heard nothing. Very big plus for their soundproofing! Convenient to the London Bridge underground, which is also a stop for the hop on hop off buses, so getting anywhere without a vehicle couldn't be easier.

Staff...well...you get better service if you speak French...I tested it. Not that they treat non-French poorly but my worst French got me an extra smile and the feeling of "we'll do anything for you" but in English it was more just "yes madame" but a friendly one.

Housekeeping was good, I guess it's beneath them to collect empty bottles and cans though. I didn't leave them lying around, they were lined up in an (ever lengthening) row on the table. I lined them up like soldiers on the round one, no budge. At the end I circled them and made a sad face with them (I was there almost a week). I would have taken them for recycle but didn't know where. If the maid wants her tip, she can recycle them and keep the money. I mentioned that upon check out and she said "did you have the do not disturb sign on your door? " I don't know what the look on my face answered.

Restaurant and bar staff REALLY need to get over themselves and realise that people come there from all walks of life. They couldn't do enough for families and people in suits but the rest of us may as well go to the chippie with the rest of the trash. I asked if there was a regular menu and he brought me a buffet menu. I said that I worry about buffets, I have bad allergies and people swap serving utensils. He said "maybe go have a sandwich in the bar." I didn't want a sandwich, I'd been on the road for 11 hours. I asked another of their personable chappies if I could get to the bar "this way" rather than go back through the lobby. I don't know if I got a yes or no but I went through there. I sat for 15 minutes, seemingly invisible as the 3 waiters served the same tables over and over...PLEASE, I JUST WANT SOME FOOD my mind said. He came over and I mentioned that I had been here for 15 minutes (their menu reeks of snobbery by the way) he said "you see, we are busy." Too busy for me, maybe the sandwich was a good idea. There's a Marks & Spencer about 2 blocks away (up to Southwark Street, cross Southwark Bridge Road and just continue up there), good food, good prices and the automatic check out machines have better character. The bar and restaurant staff's treatment undeniably made my mind up I won't be staying there again.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere for your food.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for your comments, I am glad that you overall enjoyed your stay with us. I assure you that the issues you raised are being looked into and will be dealt with accordingly. Would you be so kind as to email me your date of stay and room number for me to investigate further? My email is H3269-dm@accor.com

Reviewed 31 December 2013

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I have stayed in a few Novotel's which have always been pleasant, and this one in London did not disappoint.
We stayed at the end of November in a family room which was a lovely size and had everything that we needed.
The staff are extremely helpful and friendly, especially the reception staff who are very knowledgeable of the area.
The hotel is easy to find and is in a good location to catch the tube and access some of the best sights in London.
Breakfast was included with our room price and was lovely, no complaints. We also were give a 10% off card to use in the bar for staying in the hotel which came in handy.
Beautiful view of the Shard from the car park round the back of the hotel.
This hotel has everything anybody could need when staying in London and I would return anytime.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your stay. I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit and hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

This is a fairly typical, not brilliant but adequate Novotel, in a good location about three minutes' walk from the splendid Borough Market.
The restaurant, which we used after having a full day out at Harry Potter World near Watford to avoid having to go back out into the cold, had a reasonable menu, but service was poor and slow and some of our order was wrong and some of the food was cold. It paid to complain. The food we hadn't ordered was taken away and replaced free of charge, and the cold food taken away and replaced with piping hot alternatives, so don't grit your teeth and stay silent.
The hotel's determination to profit from us for services that are normally a matter of courtesy left a bad taste. We called the hotel after booking on Expedia and asked for the number of a local private hire cab firm to arrange our travel to Universal Studios for the Harry Potter tour. They wouldn't give us one. They insisted they would arrange it. Smelling a rat, I demanded a number. They said they would call me back in five minutes. They never did call back, so we arranged it ourselves, finding a number online.
The proof in the pudding came on departure. Stupidly, perhaps, I asked them to call me a car for the short trip (three miles) to King's Cross. A black cab had brought us in for about £13, so I guessed this would be slightly cheaper. I asked the driver how much it would cost and he was vague. It was £17 and he eventually admitted £5 of that was going to the hotel. Won't return.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Marcello M
Victoria P, Manager at Novotel London City South, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Thank you for your review following your stay with us. I would like to clarify that the taxi company we use provides the hotel with a fixed price list for all journeys, rather than the cost varying due to traffic conditions. I will report the driver's comments to the management of the taxi company as this is not correct information. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Problems with the reservations (both hotel and Expedia) never corrected. The condition of this unit was below average: problems with maintenance (slow drains, leaky shower, damaged draperies, dirty carpeting, barely functioning frig) and with housekeeping which sometimes never answered the phone when called to make "corrections". Front desk staff varied but curt on average, and occasionally surly. While Novotel may be sensible for families since most UK hotels don't have space for 2 youngsters without additional booking, and the breakfasts seemed at least generous in size, couples or singles pay too much for less than average service (it never helps to have staff enter room without knocking when the "do not disturb" sign is on the door!), poor conditions and attitude, and rooms designed just above the budget level. This would be my last choice in London central in this price range. And so location as a substitute for all the problems? Not for me.

Room Tip: Stay at the Apex or another quality business hotel. If you have to stay here, avoid rooms on the st...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank goodmorning123

Thank you for your review, I’m so sorry that you were disappointed by your experience. I'm surprised to read your comments regarding service as you can see from previous reviews, our team has always had positive feedback however I will investigate all comments.

Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

This hotel was cheap when we booked it. We found it to be very clean, with friendly staff. The location was fine - 5 mins walk from London Bridge station, with a wonderful, close-up view of the Shard en route. The breakfast was superb.

I'd be surprised if you could get anywhere else as good as this, at this price, in London. We'd definitely stay here again on another short break.

Stayed: December 2013

Many thanks for the positive comments, I’m happy we were able to make your stay with us so enjoyable. I hope we can welcome you back again very soon.