“My Stay”

Novotel London City South
Ranked #263 of 1,075 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 January 2014

If you just looking for a bed to sleep in its fine.
I rang up before my trip to ask about the car parking as we where going out in the evening. I was told it would just be £25. This was not the case as when I asked for my ticket to be validated as I had phoned up I was told by the reception staff we do not own the car it is owned by another hotel chain so pay at the pay station! Car parking was in total £40 as we went out in the evening the staff where so unhelpful over this matter!
When leaving the next morning we where packing our bags and housekeeping where trying to come in and clean the room??? We had not checked out at this point!
What can I say about breakfast disappointing but some of it was quite nice, sausages where pink inside and tasted awful.
I would not stay here again unless there was no rooms anywhere else and I just needed a bed to sleep in!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Milylou
Victoria P, Manager at Novotel London City South, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Thank you for your review, I'm sorry the car park pricing was not explained clearly to you and will ensure that the team are aware of your comments. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 12 January 2014

I booked this hotel based on the reviews posted on Tripadvisor. I was surprised to see that no one mentioned in the reviews that this is located in middle of nowhere. Except location everything is good about this hotel. This is about 6 minutes walking distance from Borough Tube and about 8-9 minutes walking distance from London Bridge tube station. One has to take Northern from Borough/London Bridge tube and go to Elephant and Castle to change to Bakerloo to go any place unless u wish to travel on Northern line. Based on reviews on net, Elephant & Castle is not safe area to move around, though it is not a problem to change the tube. If you wish to travel to various places in London, this is not a very convenient location for sure. The walk to Borough tube is completely deserted after working hours. After working hours finding taxi is difficult too. There are no restaurants, shops. There is one Indian restaurant that offered mediocre food. One has to go to Borough market to find couple of restaurants and shops. Rest, staff is very friendly and co-operative, restaurant offers good food, breakfast is well spread if not great, rooms are good and clean. You can choose any room - roadside or rear side, both are equally good. Gym is small but well, it offers basic facility. On rear side there is parking facility available on pay.

Room Tip: All rooms are equal.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Shirish_12

I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I’m so pleased you overall enjoyed your stay with us, though I am disappointed that you didn't find our location to be convenient however I do hope to see you again in the very near future.

Reviewed 11 January 2014

I stayed here recently on a business trip to London and chose for the location and price (close to my office and I'm on an average budget). Not much to rave about regarding the room. Toilet was in a separate closet, bed was pretty firm (which was fine for a couple nights if you like that), shower leaked onto the floor and made its way to the carpet (they had a separate tub that I didn't use), reception was fairly nice and i didn't use the gym or restaurant/bar. I'm a little annoyed with Novotel in general since they all seem to have trouble adjusting the invoice details (my company is strict that its made out to them instead of me). I think I've met one person at reception over the course of 3 yrs that could adjust it properly without any problems.

Room Tip: Chose a room in the middle of the hallway (the hallways are long so you could end up with a bit of d...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Many thanks for the review. We always welcome feedback and my team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at Novotel London city South and I hope we can be part of your future travel plans.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Though a bit outside the heart of London, this hotel is not very far from Westminster. Despite the general offer of Novotel Hotels to get lodged in the same room with two children, the free space after spreading out the two sofa-beds is really narrow. Rooms in every hotel in London are usually small, but lodging at four in a "premium" room here is really claustrophobic. If you use your room just to sleep it is OK. If you want to enjoy some space in the room, with children,forget it. That distances this hotel from the competitive advantage of Novotel Hotels. Reception desk absolutely friendly and efficient. I must point out the extreme efficiency of a Polish girl ( do not remember the name). Bad acoustic insulation. Restaurant: Lot of improvements to be done. Do not ask for the buffet. Quality is not as expected and moreover, you can find different dishes as per offered in the menu. It hapenned to me and I got as answer " Sorry, but we have lot of work". Certainly a black point. The "à la carte offer" is as expected but really very expensive. Nevertheless, breakfast is really good. In general, good hotel as couple to visit London and lot of improvements at restauration level.

Room Tip: Just forget it if you travel with children. Quite advisable for couple city trips.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Paco G

We at the Novotel London City South very much appreciate all your thoughts. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and having noted all your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed our stay. the hotel was conveniently located to London bridge station, the Thames and to Borough Market.
The staff were most helpful in ensuring our comfort and an enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Victoria P, Manager at Novotel London City South, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Reviewed 2 January 2014

The hotel itself is very modern but I feel some of the rooms are still in need of an update.

The first room I was given hadn't been cleaned and still had dirty towels on the floor and an unmade bed, the second room I was given was a disabled room with all lowered appliances and looked very dated and worn.

The hotel itself is in a very central location with good links to the rail network across London.

I was given the room complementary for a function but would not be happy paying the £155 per night for this quality of room.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Many thanks for your comments. We appreciate all feedback and are glad you enjoyed your stay. I hope we can welcome you back to Novotel London City South very soon.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

The location was perfect for where I needed to be but I'll thank the efforts of my travel agent for that. The hotel is good, no better of a room than Holiday Inns or even some nice motels, really. I do believe the rooms were designed by drunks though. First in the door is the toilet room...about the size of a farm outhouse but you'll love the space after having been in their tiny elevator with 5 people w/luggage. You go around the corner to the bed and the washroom...the deep bath tub is to DIE for! Shower...no matter how tight I tried to close the door, it leaked all over the washroom floor but towels are free, no biggie. The blow dryer is under the desk on a curly cord so tight that you have to either fight with it or sit under the desk but I only used it to dry my j fake fur jacket trim. I don't know how people who like soft beds manage but I like firm beds and slept like a log. In spite of being on a busy road and it being New Years eve, I heard nothing. Very big plus for their soundproofing! Convenient to the London Bridge underground, which is also a stop for the hop on hop off buses, so getting anywhere without a vehicle couldn't be easier.

Staff...well...you get better service if you speak French...I tested it. Not that they treat non-French poorly but my worst French got me an extra smile and the feeling of "we'll do anything for you" but in English it was more just "yes madame" but a friendly one.

Housekeeping was good, I guess it's beneath them to collect empty bottles and cans though. I didn't leave them lying around, they were lined up in an (ever lengthening) row on the table. I lined them up like soldiers on the round one, no budge. At the end I circled them and made a sad face with them (I was there almost a week). I would have taken them for recycle but didn't know where. If the maid wants her tip, she can recycle them and keep the money. I mentioned that upon check out and she said "did you have the do not disturb sign on your door? " I don't know what the look on my face answered.

Restaurant and bar staff REALLY need to get over themselves and realise that people come there from all walks of life. They couldn't do enough for families and people in suits but the rest of us may as well go to the chippie with the rest of the trash. I asked if there was a regular menu and he brought me a buffet menu. I said that I worry about buffets, I have bad allergies and people swap serving utensils. He said "maybe go have a sandwich in the bar." I didn't want a sandwich, I'd been on the road for 11 hours. I asked another of their personable chappies if I could get to the bar "this way" rather than go back through the lobby. I don't know if I got a yes or no but I went through there. I sat for 15 minutes, seemingly invisible as the 3 waiters served the same tables over and over...PLEASE, I JUST WANT SOME FOOD my mind said. He came over and I mentioned that I had been here for 15 minutes (their menu reeks of snobbery by the way) he said "you see, we are busy." Too busy for me, maybe the sandwich was a good idea. There's a Marks & Spencer about 2 blocks away (up to Southwark Street, cross Southwark Bridge Road and just continue up there), good food, good prices and the automatic check out machines have better character. The bar and restaurant staff's treatment undeniably made my mind up I won't be staying there again.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere for your food.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for your comments, I am glad that you overall enjoyed your stay with us. I assure you that the issues you raised are being looked into and will be dealt with accordingly. Would you be so kind as to email me your date of stay and room number for me to investigate further? My email is H3269-dm@accor.com