“Very nice staff.”

Novotel London City South
Ranked #257 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Went to the Floatworks on Thrale street around the corner from the hotel - so for me, location was great. I have stayed here before but it was a long time ago.
Got one of the newer rooms this time with the "frosted glass feature" in the bathroom. Very clean, well prepared when we got there. Room didn't have a bath and the toilet isn't separated from the bathroom which might be an issue for some. I think the old style rooms have the toilet in a separate room.
Used the sauna, steam room and gym. Very good facilities despite the small size. Only let down was the shower room in the gym - couldn't lower the temperature of the water. It was either hot or very hot. I should have mentioned this on check-out - but I was so pleased with my stay that I forgot to mention it when asked "was everything to your satisfaction?".
I had the breakfast - nothing out of the ordinary - Very fresh and was displayed well. You have to toast your own bread and slice cheese yourself though.
Staff throughout hotel are really nice and friendly! The guy in the restaurant and lady at reception.....the cleaning lady...they were all really friendly!.

Will definitely go back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Victoria P, Manager at Novotel London City South, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Many thanks for your kind review. I am glad my team made your stay enjoyable and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 23 March 2014

We were here late last years and really enjoyed our stay so booked again in March - once again the staff were excellent - helpful, courteous and professional but our room was not so nice this time - although we paid the same and booked the same the room was quite a bit smaller and very cramped, The decor was tired and the bathroom needed several things fixing.
Would visit again as the staff are just great but would definitely look at the room before checking in next time as the difference in standards are vast.

Room Tip: Some rooms are mush nicer than others so make sure you get one with a new bathroom and on the quiet...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 1K
Victoria P, Manager at Novotel London City South, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review. I am glad my team made your stay enjoyable. I'm sorry you were disappointed with the room this time, on your previous stay you were given an upgrade to our more recently refurbished superior premium room. Thank you for your feedback and I hope you visit us again soon.

Reviewed 22 March 2014

I recently stayed here as a result of a technical problem that meant my booking at the Ibis Styles next door was lost. Despite this I was initially quite happy to be staying at a Novotel as I've had nothing but great stays at the Blackfriars one.

The staff were friendly and helpful when I arrived and I can't fault their efforts during my stay (though I was a bit disappointed when I had to repeat myself a few times on a call to reception due to language problems).

The room however was very disappointing. The paintwork in the toilet seemed unfinished, there was mould in the shower, the metal framed bed squeaked every time I moved, the bathroom mirror lights were out, I found long black hairs in the bed (definitely not mine) and the iron was broken and had to be replaced.

While I slept fine the conditions were just not up to the standard I've come to expect from Novotel and would recommend the Blackfriars one nearby instead.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit. I am delighted that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful and we have noted your comments about the bedroom.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

I was staying at the Hotel from the 14th to the 18th of March 2014 for business trip/weekend. Location is the best possible. Just south of the river walking distance to the Tate Modern, Tower of London, Design museum and may others. The neighborhood is great with nice restaurants around & Borough market just 3 minutes walking.
For the Hotel: Very good service however, no Air-condition in the room, TV is lousy no VOD and VERY limited verity of channels. The restroom is filthy the toilet doesn't flush properly, sink doesn't drain well, door paint is falling apart and floor is dirty.
Breakfast is OK.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your comments. We appreciate all feedback and are glad you enjoyed our location and the service we offer. I’ll look into the points you raised, and in the meantime, I hope we can welcome you back to the Novotel London city South very soon.

Reviewed 13 March 2014

The hotel was really good, great breakfast which was free for kids. We woke up to no hot water but it got sorted quickly. As it was my birthday I got presented with a chocolate muffin at breakfast and a balloon!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Victoria P, Manager at Novotel London City South, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thank you for your feedback. I'm glad your stay was enjoyable and I hope you will visit us again on your next trip to London!

Best Regards
Room Division Manager

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Room was clean and fully adequate for our stay. We travelled with a child and the sofa bed provided ample sleeping space. We were pleasantly surprised to find both a shower and a bath in the stylish bathroom. There was a great choice of fresh appetising food reach morning at breakfast. The young restaurant manager was absolutely fabulous. Even though the restaurant was quite busy each morning he sorted us a table quickly and efficiently, took time to make pleasant small talk and unusually seemed to genuinely enjoy his work...really wish I'd made a note of his name! It's worth mentioning that all the staff we encountered were great. The hotel is an ideal base to explore London as a whole but also has lots to see and do within walking distance.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Victoria P, Manager at Novotel London City South, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014