“Great location, great hotel.”

Novotel London City South
Ranked #271 of 1,069 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Great location, great hotel.”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We love staying near Borough Market and this hotel is a great location. Only a couple blocks from the nearest Tube station, and there's great pubs all around it. London is a very walkable city, and this location is a great base camp.

Room Tip: It helps if you get an upgrade to a "business/executive" room for the free wifi.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michael H
Victoria P, Manager at Novotel London City South, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Thanks for your review. I am glad you had a good stay with us. See you on your next trip hopefully!
Rooms Division Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Scotland
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

Very clean, modern hotel. Breakfast was very good. Nice location, minutes from the Thames. Will stay here again or another London novotel. We did not eat here but used the bar one night. Staff were friendly. There's a stop outside the hotel for hop on/off bus tour.

Stayed January 2014
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Went to the Floatworks on Thrale street around the corner from the hotel - so for me, location was great. I have stayed here before but it was a long time ago.
Got one of the newer rooms this time with the "frosted glass feature" in the bathroom. Very clean, well prepared when we got there. Room didn't have a bath and the toilet isn't separated from the bathroom which might be an issue for some. I think the old style rooms have the toilet in a separate room.
Used the sauna, steam room and gym. Very good facilities despite the small size. Only let down was the shower room in the gym - couldn't lower the temperature of the water. It was either hot or very hot. I should have mentioned this on check-out - but I was so pleased with my stay that I forgot to mention it when asked "was everything to your satisfaction?".
I had the breakfast - nothing out of the ordinary - Very fresh and was displayed well. You have to toast your own bread and slice cheese yourself though.
Staff throughout hotel are really nice and friendly! The guy in the restaurant and lady at reception.....the cleaning lady...they were all really friendly!.

Will definitely go back.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Many thanks for your kind review. I am glad my team made your stay enjoyable and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We were here late last years and really enjoyed our stay so booked again in March - once again the staff were excellent - helpful, courteous and professional but our room was not so nice this time - although we paid the same and booked the same the room was quite a bit smaller and very cramped, The decor was tired and the bathroom needed several things fixing.
Would visit again as the staff are just great but would definitely look at the room before checking in next time as the difference in standards are vast.

Room Tip: Some rooms are mush nicer than others so make sure you get one with a new bathroom and on the quiet...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 1K
Victoria P, Manager at Novotel London City South, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review. I am glad my team made your stay enjoyable. I'm sorry you were disappointed with the room this time, on your previous stay you were given an upgrade to our more recently refurbished superior premium room. Thank you for your feedback and I hope you visit us again soon.
London
Reviewed 22 March 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed here as a result of a technical problem that meant my booking at the Ibis Styles next door was lost. Despite this I was initially quite happy to be staying at a Novotel as I've had nothing but great stays at the Blackfriars one.

The staff were friendly and helpful when I arrived and I can't fault their efforts during my stay (though I was a bit disappointed when I had to repeat myself a few times on a call to reception due to language problems).

The room however was very disappointing. The paintwork in the toilet seemed unfinished, there was mould in the shower, the metal framed bed squeaked every time I moved, the bathroom mirror lights were out, I found long black hairs in the bed (definitely not mine) and the iron was broken and had to be replaced.

While I slept fine the conditions were just not up to the standard I've come to expect from Novotel and would recommend the Blackfriars one nearby instead.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit. I am delighted that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful and we have noted your comments about the bedroom.
Ra'anana, Israel
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I was staying at the Hotel from the 14th to the 18th of March 2014 for business trip/weekend. Location is the best possible. Just south of the river walking distance to the Tate Modern, Tower of London, Design museum and may others. The neighborhood is great with nice restaurants around & Borough market just 3 minutes walking.
For the Hotel: Very good service however, no Air-condition in the room, TV is lousy no VOD and VERY limited verity of channels. The restroom is filthy the toilet doesn't flush properly, sink doesn't drain well, door paint is falling apart and floor is dirty.
Breakfast is OK.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for your comments. We appreciate all feedback and are glad you enjoyed our location and the service we offer. I’ll look into the points you raised, and in the meantime, I hope we can welcome you back to the Novotel London city South very soon.