“Good quality basic accommodation”
Review of The New Dome Hotel

The New Dome Hotel
Ranked #866 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We booked a triple room (£75) for one night for a short trip taking in a gig at Brixton Academy.

Check in was minimal fuss and the room was absolutely fine. Two king size beds that were comfortable enough, the bathroom was fine, and the room had all the facilities you would expect to find in a chain hotel.

Brixton Academy was a 30 minute walk away and we stopped at 'The Tiger' en route for a pint - very nice and recommended. The hotel recommended us a taxi firm for the return journey which cost only £8 even at 2:30am.

The bottom line with the New Dome is that it is likely to be condireably cheaper than a national chain hotel in this area, and the room is as good as you will find with one of the aforementioned chains.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank g_risp

Reviewed 16 December 2013

A lot of reviews slate the hotel for not being the Hilton, being a bit grubby, not clean and generally "cheap and nasty." For me the hotel ticked the three most important boxes; clean, convenient and cheap. The bed linen and towels were clean and well presented and the bathroom was spotless. Its location from the O2 Brixton is a ten pound / five minute taxi ride away where the taxi was ordered by the front desk and we were called when it had arrived.

The staff were friendly and helpful to the point where i'd made a mistake in the booking and they just sorted it out with zero fuss.

The hotel is well placed on the high street for taxis to find it with plenty of late night "eateries" open for the journey home. The desk is manned 24/7 and all emails for booking checkings were replied to promptly.

Bottom line is that you are paying £25 a night (three of us at £75) for a central London hotel in close proximty to a top London venue. If you're looking for a place to just kip down with no frills at the end of a long night then this place is perfect. If you're looking to treat a loved one to a romantic weekend then maybe not.

Take the hotel for what it is and you won't be dissapointed (and you might find a random shoe box in your room like we did!!!)

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Tom T
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I had previously stayed at a much more expensive Spanish themed hotel on the next block, but needed to get a room at a lower price. I had a look at the Dome and to be honest, it was off putting, with a man at the desk and not a plush reception area. However, I ended up staying 3 weeks there and feel qualified to give a very honest account. The rooms are not 5 star, but if you don't mind a little bit jaded in places it is very good.
The room was very clean on arrival and the room was cleaned every day.
The bathroom was spotless and yes, they do have small baths, but they all have showers over and more than adequate. I had clean bed linen every day and clean towels, which had obviously come from a professional laundry. The pillows were fine although the maids do sometimes put 2 in one pillow case!!! The bed was so comfy, I would say as good as premier Inn.I slept well. There is a lot of traffic and aircraft noise in the area though and the sirens are ambulances going to Kings hospital. I would say better to ask for a rear facing room. I have a walking disability and had a ground floor side room (number 4.) I found this very comfortable.
The double bed is against the wall as someone else mentioned which could be a problem with some.
Unlike the Spanish style hotel I mentioned earlier, the Dome DOES have teamaking facilities in the room and they will happily replenish the tray with as much as you need. I would also like to say that for £3 you can have as much as you like to eat for breakfast including cereal, toast, croissants, cooked eggs (choice) fresh fruit, yoghurts fruit juice and tea / coffee. I think the other reviewer was unfair about the breakfast. The dining room is downstairs but they will bring breakfast upstairs if you are disabled.I talked to management a lot about charging for the TV remote and the problems people mentioned on tripadvisor and then understood why.It seems that people steal anything not nailed down including duvets. This is why you have to pay at least one night in advance and your card details checked. They are in the middle of refurbishing and I suggested that they respond the Tripadvisor comments. They treated me with genuine concern and kindness, as my husband was critically ill in Kings. The people of Camberwell were all lovely and also kind and polite. I would highly recommend the Dome in preference to their near neighbour. A double room is £80 a night and is much more spacious. I have no connection with owner or management of the Dome. I speak as I find, but would say if you have a problem, SPEAK TO THE MANAGER!!! He inhabits an office in reception during the day. So all in all although I have put average it is a bit better than that.
NB if you are staying a while, the drycleaners a few doors down does ordinary washing so you can have clean clothes £6 a load.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet rom at the back. Room 4 is quiet,
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank munchyone
Reviewed 2 November 2013

An affordable budget hotel in Camberwell. The staff are very friendly. The room was small but clean and comfortable although the tv didn't work and there was only one pillow per person. The bathroom was spotless although the bath was very small and the water very very hot with warm water coming from the cold tap. Breakfast was basic but good value. (£3 not included in room price) We were able to leave our luggage for the day after check out. On the downside the area is a bit scary after dark and it's a long way from the nearest tube station although there is a good bus service. Good value for money if you don't mind not being in the heart of London.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are very noisy. Lot's of stairs to upper rooms and no lift, so if mobility is...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank laura341
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We booked this hotel two days before we were arriving in London so the price of £60 wasn't too bad. We arrived and made our way to the Reception. The man who was on at the time wasn't too welcoming or friendly and he spent a good 20 minutes looking in folder upon folder for our check in details. He eventually found us and then handed over the payment slip while advising that if we wanted to watch TV it was a £10 deposit for the remote which we declined as we were going to a gig. He then pointed us to a door and said our room was up the stairs.
At the top of the stairs we were greeted by bags full of washing (possibly a good sign that things have been washed) and after some confusion found our room (the numbers go from 1-6 then 101-112 which was strange).
The room itself was okay - a bit on the small side and in need of a makeover and a deep clean. The bathroom was okay – it was very small and the shower curtain definitely needs to be replaced.
After travelling since 10am and arriving at the hotel at about 4pm, I was in need of a cup of tea. I checked all the milk was in date and then opened the kettle about to fill it with water to be greeted by someone's dirty sock! I wasn't going to be straining my tea out of that!!!
We were going to have an hour's kip but as we put our head's on the pillow, they were rock hard! (Tip: take your own bedding and pillows!) I then went and had a shower - it took a while for the water to heat up and due to the bath being so tiny, when you eventually get in the shower, the shower curtain starts sticking to you. It was probably the quickest shower I've ever had.
Once changed, we then went back down to Reception to be greeted by another man who took our key and then went back to watching the TV.
We then went to the gig at Brixton Academy (not too far by taxi) and afterwards went back to the hotel. My partner slept in his clothes and I slept in my pajamas with my cardigan and socks on so we didn't have to get under the sheets (purely due to the comments that were left on here about stains). It was a decent night’s sleep, but I do think it was due to all the Strongbow and black that was consumed!
Next morning we had an early start as the maid outside woke us up about 8am due to moving all the bags of washing that were left the previous night.

The room got very hot in the morning despite the windows being open. Due to there being no air conditioning and the radiator being turned off, we left quite promptly as it was just too hot to stay in there.
We went down to Reception where another lady took our key and that was that – there was no interaction with us which you’d normally expect when checking out of a hotel such as 'we hope you had a good night's stay' or 'have a good day' but never mind.
We didn't have the £3 breakfast that was offered to us and instead took a short walk and ate elsewhere.
Overall, the hotel wasn't too bad. The staff could be a bit friendlier, the rooms could do with a makeover and a good clean, but for the price and how late we booked the room, it wasn't the worst. I doubt we'd stay again but to anyone who is staying here it would be worth taking your own bedding, your own towels and definitely your own kettle!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2013

An affordable hotel in a convenient location for Denmark Hill, KCH and the Oval.

Very friendly and helpful staff.

A good breakfast for £3 a person (not included in room price).

Room comfortable - but carpets and curtains a bit worn and tatty : carpet not as clean as it could have been.

Have stayed in plenty worse places.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Albia-Newton
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Nice helpful staff, rooms are clean and there was plenty of tea and coffee in the room, I must say the bed was so comfortable I slept like a log. We were staying on the top floor at the back of the hotel. And there was no noise in the corridors or from outside. I will definatley stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013