“Good for what it is” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #344 of 1,087 Hotels in London
Sheffield
“Good for what it is”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

If you want a reasonably priced room in this area of London, this is not bad at all. The rooms are fairly spacious and the hotel is well maintained. The bathroom only has a shower and an all purpose soap/shampoo/body wash dispenser. But the towels are large and thick! I've had a lot worse in smarter more expensive places. Breakfast is ok but you eat it in a canteen atmosphere, some of us had to virtually sit in reception. If you need to be here on business this is fine and only 6-7 minutes walk from the Westfield centre with restaurants and shopping

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
ManagerE15, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Stratford, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to review The Holiday Inn Express London Stratford. We are happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay and enjoyed the hotel facilities. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Holiday Inn Express Stratford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express, Stratford for a 3 night business / leisure trip in October 2013. The hotel is conveniently located just a five minute walk from Stratford Station (train, underground, DLR and bus depot), and particularly well connected to Central London by the Central Line Underground.

Upon arrival the staff were very friendly and welcoming and the check-in process was efficient. The request for a rear facing quiet room was also met. The room was spacious, clean and well serviced. The beds were comfortable, with nice duvets, fluffy pillows and afforded a great night's sleep. There was also a double sofa bed in the room.

The bathroom was also very clean and spacious and we had a room with a very effective shower. Shower gel, shampoo and hand soap are available in dispensers.

Tea and coffee making facilities were in the room and a nice coffee lounge was available near the lifts on our floor, offering further supplies of tea and coffee and a comfortable place to sit.

The breakfast was fairly standard and comprehensive, with a small supply of hot items (scrambled eggs, sausages and baked beans), cereals, bread, rolls and toast, cheese, sliced meats, fruit and yoghurt. More than enough to set one up for a busy morning in London!

Would I return or recommend this hotel to my family and friends? Yes, highly likely!

Room Tip: If you are looking for a quiet sleep, then ask for a rear facing room!
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for reviewing the Holiday Inn Express Stratford and thank you for your kind comments. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward welcoming you again in a near future.

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

The front desk staff are pleasant and friendly. The room was just nice for 2 average sized person.
I was pretty shocked to see no toiletries provided. When I called to request for them, I was told to go down to obtain them. Well, I guess maybe due to the hotel rate we paid is too low and they dont have such service to provide to hotel guests. Correct me if I am wrong.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank louisa_03
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Stratford, responded to this review, 7 November 2013
Dear louisa_03,

Krysllin G.
Gothenburg, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

In general, staying at hotels in vibrant Stratford gives much better value than in central London 15 minutes away. This place is situated 10 minutes walk from Stratford station and the surroundings are quite ok. Rooms are recently refurbished and in very good condion. Very comfortable beds, which gives a good sleep. Did not get a very good sleep though, since it was a lot of road work going on both day and night.
Staff are mostly good and some quite excellent in their service towards guests. Breakfast is very ordinary and basic compared to its sister hotel at Westfield in Stratford. Overall, Holiday Inn Express London Stratford is a good choice if on a budget and still want good value...

2 Thank Larzon67
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Stratford, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Dear Larzon67,

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave feedback about your recent visit with us. It is good to know that you found our rooms to be of good condition and the service received from our staff was up to par. It is always nice to receive commendable comments from our valued guests like you.

I hope the next time you visit the area, you choose us again for your lodging needs.

Regards,

Pam G
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

I booked this hotel having previously stayed at the nearby pricier Holiday Inn. There was no real difference between the two (except the location and here the breakfast was included). The room was clean and comfortable and the staff helpful and friendly.
I had an accessible room and once accidentally pulled one of the alarm cords. I received an immediate call to see if all was well.
The breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice.
My stay was for four nights with earliest check in 2 pm, latest check out 11 am. Pretty standard. I assume that like me most people plan their travel arrangements round these times.
It was a little disconcerting therefore when there was a knock on the door at 10.15 a..m. yesterday, my day of departure, and I opened the door to find not the cleaner but a member of the office staff saying the cleaner wanted to come in to change the room. She went away when I pointed out I had till 11 a.m. to vacate, agreeing that yes, that was another 45 minutes. I packed and left as quickly as possible feeling that I had been pushed out. This gave a very poor impression and spoiled what had till then been a very pleasant stay.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Stratford, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Dear MrsChrisW,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. It's great to hear that you liked our rooms, friendly staff and breakfast selection. We strive to provide the best possible service and experience and it is always great to hear from our guests on how we are doing. Please accept our sincere apologies for any negative impression you may have had during your stay. It is certainly not our intent to inconvenience our valued guests, instead offer a relaxing and memorable stay. The feedback we receive from you enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Lera P
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

Me and my friends stayed here for the NFL at Wembley in September arriving in London at Kings Cross you have the option of catching a tube to Liverpool Street and changing here for a second tube to Stratford International taking 19 minutes or you can catch the High Speed Sprinter train which is direct and takes 6 minutes without the hassle although unfortunately you cannot use your Oyster card on this service and it costs £5.70 but is easier if you have heavy cases / bags.

The hotel as mentioned by others is a 5-10 minutes walk from the station along High Street.

Check in was no problem and I was given a room at the back on the 5th floor so no problem with traffic noise although there is noise from a nearby school during 'playtime' mid morning and probably lunchtime and mid afternoon.

Breakfast was the usual self service HI Express offering with cereal, toast, croissants, scrambled egg, sausage and beans (although the sausages seemed weird and a bit mushy but edible) and then tea, coffee, orange or apple juice for for drinks.

As my mobile battery had died I couldn't use my London Underground app so we asked the Desk Clerk the best way to get to Regent Street and he told us a cab would cost around £25 which wouldn't have been too bad as there was 3 of us but this actually cost us £50 taking about an hour.

We later found out we could've got a direct tube to Green Park and a little walk which would've been over £40 cheaper and about 30 minutes quicker so my comment is that if on the front desk it would be helpful to have some local knowledge to help out the customer.

The room was fine and after I left my card in the slot one morning and went for breakfast I returned and the maid was happy to let me back in the room.

There are a few fast food vendors near the Stratford Station which were still open around midnight on the Sunday i.e McDonalds, K.F.C and across the road a chippy / kebab house for if you return late from a show e.t.c e.t.c

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank owl-zat
ManagerE15, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Stratford, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed most aspects of your stay.

However, I would like to express my sincere apologies for the lack of information you have been provided by the staff. Our reception team are well informed about travel options and I am really sorry that this was not communicated to your in appropriate manner.

We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

pula
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

My mother, had booked a room for my wife and I for 25.09.13.
It was booked via booking .com,On the receipt that I printed it clearly states ....Your booking is now confirmed.

When I arrived at the front desk to check in, the member of staff stated that I needed to produce the credit card that the purchase was made with. I explained to him that I did not have the card and that my mother had booked and PAID IN FULL at the time of making the reservation. I was Not notified that a credit card was to be produced and nor does it state anywhere on the booking form that I need to provide the credit card, instead it quite clearly states.. ....Your booking is now confirmed and the bank statement shows that funds have been taken out and that the room was paid for.
At first the member of staff gave the impression that it would not be problem, but then quickly changed his mind and said we MUST pay in full either with another credit card or in cash.

I again explained the situation, stating that I did not have the credit card or the cash but he rather rudely and in a condescending manner implied that was not his problem and tough luck on me

I said that we could call my mother and she will tell him anything he wants to know about the booking transaction, he said ok, and then refused to let me use the hotels telephone. I asked twice for it and he refused, stating “that I should make some effort “. I told him that my phone was a Croatian mobile and I will be charged over 1 pound a minute, he shrugged his shoulders and said he didn’t care

I then called my mother on my Croatian phone, started to explain to her the situation, and at this point he walked off, went into an office and closed the door and totally ignored me. When I finished the telephone conversation, he returned and stated in a very rude manner that I must pay in cash or leave. He embarrassed and humiliated both me and my wife. I offered to leave my passport for security, but he refused. I asked to speak with a manager and he said that he was the manager, I asked again to speak with somebody in a senior position and he refused, where as he a desk clerk and not the manager of the hotel. He then advised me to call booking.com, I asked for the hotel phone to do so and again he refused.
In the end I was forced, to pay again in cash although it was paid for 6 months before,
The company was in possession of funds belonging to my mother for all this time and are accountable for the this interest. You cannot simple charge people twice for the same product and nor can you keep the money for 6 months.

In all I am hugely disappointed in the way we were treated, your staff showed no compassion, no understanding and no diplomacy and showed absolutely no evidence that he wanted to help, which is exactly what somebody who works on a help desk is supposed to do.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Bezbrige
Julian H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Stratford, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Dear Bezbrige Pula
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate both positive and negative feedback as it provides us with the tools to know where we need to improve and where we are doing well.
I was happy that I was able to discuss this with you over the telephone. I would also like to reiterate my apology as we are extremely sorry that you had this experience.
Although your grievance is with the way that you were treated by our employees I have to say that I feel that the fault lies with the management of the hotel. We feel that we need to provide more training and clarification to our employees to ensure that situations do not occur like this again. The employees were only following procedures that have been put in place to help prevent credit card fraud. Unfortunately the strict adherence to these procedures has caused embarrassment and inconvenience to a genuine customer and we are truly sorry for this.
As I have promised I will update you on the changes we are making to help prevent this situation again.
I would also like to thank you for bring this to my attention so we could take steps to help stop this happening again
Yours Sincerely