“Very clean, no nonsense hotel”

Holiday Inn Express London Stratford
Ranked #328 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Sweden
“Very clean, no nonsense hotel”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed a couple of nights in a quite small but comfortable room that was quiet and clean. As others have noted, breakfast is basic, and you should be aware that the advertised free WiFi is very limited. The hotel location is OK, but the surrounding streets do not offer much more than small convenience stores and a bingo club. More shops and restaurants are available near Stratford station, a 10 minute walk from the hotel. The Stratford High Street Station on the Docklands Light Rail is a couple of minutes away from the hotel and provides access to central London in 30-45 minutes.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
ManagerE15, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Stratford, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to review the Holiday Inn Express London Stratford.
We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward welcoming you again in a near future.

Kind Regards,
Management Team
Holiday Inn Express London Stratford

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

IF you get a good rate then this hotel is OK.

When booking don't get it confused with the Holiday Inn above the Westfield Stratford shopping centre, this is a good 10-15 minute walk from the Stratford Shopping centre and transport links!

Reception was pleasant and no dramas, the staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms are compact but not too small and for someone travelling alone like I was it was big enough.

The comfort isnt that great. The bed is hard and lumpy and the pillows, although identified as firm and soft options, all felt the same to me! The duvet is a joke really, not very thick and not that inviting either, I am sure this could be addressed.

There is comfort cooling in the room although it never felt as though it really cooled the room, VERY noisy when on highest fan setting. The small TV 'hangs' on the wall, you cant straighten it and you cant really turn it to view so the only real option is to sit on the bed and watch it!

The shower is large enough (1.5 size?) and powerful enough although I had an issue with drainage so the tray filled with water. I reported this to reception and the problem was fixed when I arrived back later that day, so no complaints there... other than surely this could be checked by the cleaning team? There was a lingering 'drain' smell after this issue that didnt go away whilst I stayed, surely again the cleaning team could address this?!

Breakfast is a very UNDERWHELMING affair! I know it is 'Free' but seriously, all aspects of it are poor and quality is economical in my view!

The scrambled egg was anaemic, the sausages poor quality, the beans were clearly cheap catering beans.. so I opted for toast... the bread was thin and poor quality. Even the orange juice was from concentrate and didnt taste nice at all. I chose bananas, they were fine!

Dont even bother with the wifi, its poor, slow and intermittent.

The best part about this hotel is the friendly and helpful staff. I got a very reasonable rate so on that basis I have marked it at average, if I had paid more I would not have been happy.

Room Tip: The hotel is located on a very busy main road, I would request a room that is not at the front of th...
1 Thank MeAndMrsJonesUK
Julian H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Stratford, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear William_Lisa
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. The Holiday Inn Express London Stratford.
I am happy to hear you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. Our team always try to be as helpful as possible and it is always fantastic to get that recognition.
I am sorry that you did not enjoy our breakfast. I can confirm that we do use branded options for our breakfast and not cheap catering options. Our scrambled eggs are made fresh.
We are a 10-15 minute walk from Stratford Station. Next time you visit why not try Stratford High St DLR station. It is only a five minute walk away and it connects to Stratford, West Ham and Stratford International transport hubs. We also are well connected by buses and it is only a two minute journey to Stratford station from just outside the hotel.
I am sorry that you did not find our beds comfortable. We have only recently changed our beds. This is from listening to guests who had told us our previous beds were too soft. Our beds are all Hypnos beds and are made to the same specifications as the beds they supply to four star hotels. We do offer soft and hard pillows which have also just been replaced. I can confirm there is a difference between them but they do vary. If you want one that is harder or softer. I am sure we can source one. Similarly if you require a thicker duvet, we would be happy to provide one.
Thank you once again for reviewing our hotel. I do hope you will visit us again.
The HI Express London Stratford Guest Services Team
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Stayed here for one night on business. It's a holiday inn express express so you should be getting something that accords to your needs.

The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful but after that not much positive to say.

1. The drains did not work properly in my room and water build up in the shower tray and the sink and took some time to flow away.
2. Room was dated, needed an uplift
3. Breakfast was limited and pathetic, this really was poor. I would not say most of the fresh stuff was that fresh. You could see people just standing looking and thinking, is this it?

The hotel is quite isolated and not much around it.

I'll not stay here again.

2 Thank toddman572001
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Stratford, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Dear toddman572001,

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Lancing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

never had any problems staying at the holiday inn express. They always give you a good sized room and bath room and really helpful staff.
We were very lucky that we had a room at the back of the hotel so didn't hear any traffic, we all had good night sleeps.
I think they should offer you more for hot food at breakfast, but I know this is a country wide thing, and that they need to say the same for all of their hotels.
Car park at the back is really secure if a bit expensive and on a first come basis.
Overall really happy with Holiday inn

Room Tip: See if you can get a room at the back of the hotel not the front
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Just short of £200 b&b, for a budget hotel is ridiculous!!
That out of the way it's clean, nice sized rooms and this one has its own meal offer in the evening. Breakfast is the standard HIE experience so miserable sausages to accompany beans and scrambled eggs. If you pay £200 surely they can afford a better sausage?!
Bar open late into the evening without the staff glaring at you to go to bed and in a reasonable location close to the station/Olympic Park.
Just can't get over £200/night!!!!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
ManagerE15, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Stratford, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time and leaving your review.

Sorry to read your stay did not meet your expectations. We value the points you have made.

Our prices reflect the demand of business and the activities that were taking place in London over the period of your stay.

We always appreciate positive and negative feedback. We are grateful you took the time to let us know opinion and views, no doubt it will help us in the future to improve our services and facilities.

We are happy that you found the hotel clean and the rooms a nice size. We sincerely hope you will give us another chance to welcome you in the near future and see improvements made.

Regards
Bilbao, Spain
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The service is average with a nice and committed staff. Breakfast limited, food quite average, fairly good size room but not very confortable but above all, NOISY, Very very NOISY.

The price, as expected in London is quite high but the value for money is a rip-off.

I won´t ever come back !!!!

Room Tip: Don´t !!!!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Julian H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Stratford, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear JuanFPerez
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel the Holiday Inn Express London Stratford. I am sorry that you experienced the problems you did at our hotel. I would really appreciate it if you answer the questions I sent you regarding the noise. If we can narrow it down to the room that you were in we can carry our some tests and if there is an issue resolve it for future guests. We try to offer value for money to all our guests and always price the hotel competitively. When there is high demand in London for rooms it can push prices high particularly during the summer. Our breakfast and wifi access is free to all guests which helps to keep your expenses down and helps to make Holiday Inn Express a value for money option. We hope you re-consider visiting us again because we would be happy to welcome you back. If you do decide to answer the questions I previously sent you regarding your stay I will be most grateful.
Julian Hudson
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Well placed and generally ok for a short stay it was spoilt when after an error the staff made in booking in resulted in me having to leave my room at 10 pm for another sub standard room. I asked if it was necessary and the European male abruptly said it was necessary as the Hotel was fully booked. No marks for trying to resolve it, being helpful or even reasonable. I had to move all my belongings. I wasn't convinced they were fully booked either. So right or wrong the manner and attitude was poor . You really can't deal with customers like that. Food only average. Accommodation only average.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Julian H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London Stratford, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear RogerCaymenislands

Thank you for taken the time to write a review on the Holiday Inn Express London Stratford and providing valuable feedback. I would like to say sorry again for how this situation was handled and for the situation arising in the first place. I would like to try explain to you the situation. As you were a part of a large group your room had been assigned by the group organiser your room was already assigned. You were booked into a shared room with one of your colleagues. The receptionist that booked you in did not realise that you colleague had already been booked in and assigned you a different room. If we were not already fully booked we would have accepted our error and let you stay in that room. However, I can assure you that we were fully booked and we did need that room. If we had not have moved you we would have needed to find alternative accommodation in a different hotel for one of our other guests. It was decided by the Duty Manager that this was the least worst scenario.
I am sorry that we did need to move you at this time and for the mistake made by the reception staff who really should have taken more care when booking you in. I will be taking action on your feedback on how the situation was handled. I believe that the staff should have taken more steps to try to appease you for the mistake and I would expect this when we disrupt a guest in such a way.
Thank you for responding to my message and if you do wish to contact me again to discuss this further please do so.
Julian Hudson