“A regret......A very very cheap hostel”

Hotel Montana Excel
Ranked #769 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Lagos, Nigeria
“A regret......A very very cheap hostel”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I stopped over in this hotel because of the nearness to St Pancras as I was catching the Eurostar to Paris. I could as well have gone to a hostel or stayed in the station. After paying GBP95.00, this was a big rip off.
My room - room 6 on ground floor- was dirty. See attached picture of the carpet. The nearness to the road with no double glazed glass meant every noise on the street side walk I heard. Sleep was impossible. The toilet in the next room was so noisy that each time the occupant flushed, I could hear it in my room. I made a big mistake not checking out trip advisor comments before booking the hotel. As a regular user of the Eurostar, I am certain I will never stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank ManRash2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

The hotel is 2 minutes from kings cross station and a good base to visit London. At the station you can get the tube anywhere. Rooms are clean but basic. Breakfast was good. If you want just a place to sleep go here but if you want a real hotel don't bother.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Chris M
Norrkoping, Sweden
Reviewed 13 August 2013

My wife and I stayed here a while ago, money was tight so we went for cheap. The room was tiny, dirty, with paper thin walls. Staff was not very interested in doing their job, barely greeting you when getting your keys or asking questions at the front desk.

Breakfast was all right considering it was included, and the location was excellent for us. If you need cheap, and need to be near King's Cross, it's sufficient.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MarcLager

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

London
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I came to visit a friend but was told I was not allowed in, 'visitors aren't allowed' barked the woman at the desk who called herself the manager. Is this really acceptable for any hotel? The customer service skills of 'the manager' were terrible, she treated everyone like children getting a telling off - how is someone like that able to get work in this industry? and what is she doing in the industry?

I would steer clear of this hotel at all costs.

Room Tip: Don't go here
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank david c
Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night in June, as I am doing an internship in London two days a week, and can't afford to live down there. To be honest, it was pretty grim.

The staff were helpful, and let me store my bags in a luggage room as I was in a rush, but the room didn't seem very secure, and I had a bit of an issue with having to leave my key at reception. They never once asked me for ID, just handed me the key- I could have been anyone!

Breakfast was okay, I had beans on toast. Not much else to say about that.

The room was a bit manky, chipped walls, a foisty atmosphere and an awful shower, which made the room feel pretty damp. I also didn't dare make a hot drink because (as someone has said in another review) I found hairs on the polystyrene cups. Ick! The whole hotel smelled a bit musty, and it was full of noisy creaky floorboards.

It was bearable, but I paid £50 for the night, which in retrospect is way too high! I have since stayed at yha youth hostels, and even in dormitories have had a more pleasant experience than I did here.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Jessica W
petah tikva
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I needed I hotel for a night near King's Cross train station. The hotel is very near - 5 min by foot, and I have found it without much problem. My late coming - after 10 PM was OK (I let them know beforhead). The room was on the 3d floor without elevator, but it is usual for not luxury London hotels in the center. The single room was small, but enough place to me, the window could be opened, the shower was OK with a lot of hot water, the toilet in the floor was clean and only once was used when I wanted to use it. The room was clean, the bed not the most comfortable but OK for a night. WiFI was a bit problematic but I was able to connect from my room. The breakfast was not bad - toast, eggs, some sausage (not too good), cooked tomatoes, beans and cereals. It was enough to feel full for a half of a day. The was not much noise from both outside and inside of the hotel.
If I need a room for a night near KC one more time, I would book this hotel. Price was 50 pounds.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank europelover48
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 22 July 2013

This was a tiny hotel tucked away down the street from King's Cross International. The hotel was small and there was no lift so it was a very tedious job to carry all our baggage up to the TOP floor of the hotel.

The reception is 24/7 and the keys will be kept for you. Overall, this hotel is a very clean and compacted hotel, and it's expensive compared to hotels in many parts of the world, but we have to remember that this is London.

But there's one point that I can't really accept. The showers are located in your rooms and the area is extremely constricted. It's like the kind of shower you would find in a spacecraft.

And the shower has NO DOOR. It's embarrassing and inconvenient to walk out naked for everyone to see, especially when you are traveling with your friends (maybe for family as well), but for people who are traveling solo or those who don't mind, then, ignore this.

The toilet is also outside of your room and its a shared toilet. It can be a bit inconvenient if you need to go the toilet urgently but there are like many people before you waiting. But that doesn't happen most of the time, there are few people staying here anyway. And you can always head to the toilets downstairs.

The bed was excellent though. Soft and comfy. One of the most comfortable beds I have slept on whilst overseas.

There was a breakfast buffet provided. The breakfast has a limited variety but it's taste is good. Bacon wasn't really fatty, eggs and tomatoes as well as cereal and milk were provided.

What I found really weird was that the waitresses seemed as though they were trying to seduce us when cleaning the table. I mean, seriously... Don't stare at us like that. It's creepy.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family