“Decent Budget Hotel For A Short Stay”

Hotel Montana Excel
Ranked #769 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Central UK
“Decent Budget Hotel For A Short Stay”
Reviewed 25 April 2014

First off, its cheap! So I'm writing based on that. I booked a twin room with shower at 24 hours notice for 65 quid - in a quiet square near Kings Cross, I think that's a pretty good price. I had B4, so down in the basement. Decent size to be fair - I've stayed in smaller rooms in more expensive places! Shower and sink in room but no loo - up 1 flight of stairs. So not ideal. To be honest for 65 quid I wasn't grumbling but would have given 5 stars for a loo in the room. Room was clean and tidy, bed fairly comfortable and there was a spare pillow if you needed it.

Quiet apart from the lack of noise isolation from other rooms - I could hear footsteps upstairs occasionally and woke up to upstairs (or next door, not sure) using the shower or running water in the sink or something. Otherwise no real complaints - was cheap, I slept ok, and it was clean. And the shower had plenty of pressure and hot water, although for a 6 ft chap like me it was a bit cramped. Just as well I'm not overweight!

Great location 3 minutes walk from Kings Cross. Ideal for a cheap bed for the night, which is all I needed. More than 1 night, I'd go a bit more plush.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We are 4 ppl with big luggages and I saw the bad review about room in the basement. So when I booked the room, I ask for the room that's not at the basement, and ask for quiet room. When i arrive the hotel.. I have a big surprise becos they put us into the basement room, street-side noisy all time. Exactly the contrary of what i asked for.. All of us are disappointed and hopeless. The room at the basement that i mention here is room number 3, it's the worst room of this hotel. From this room u can here every single things which take place on the street, the room above u, ppl eating in breakfast room. Even exhausted traveler like me, still found difficulty to sleep peacefully all night. It's very budget price for good location but for me.. it's my worst mistake. Destroy good atmosphere in London every time we came back and sleep. Unfortunately we booked for a whole trip which is 3 nights. After we complain about the room. They change the room for us but at the 3rd night. first 2 night was a nightmare in London. Finally last night we can really sleep in the room number 4. The wifi is poor quality. Anyway the breakfast was rich and great.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Than D

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Had a family room in the BASEMENT of a tired old building with far too many doors. Staff spoke awful english. Breakfast 7-9am on the weekends?? Dirty room. Great location. £140 I paid and feel completely ripped off.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank orionmb
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

2 minutes walk from kings cross. £65 for a double room overlooking argyle square with breakfast included. Very friendly staff. If you want luxury you'll need to go elsewhere but if you want a very convenient, friendly place to stay you can't go wrong

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Tim S
Leicester
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We did not pay a great deal for our 1 night stay. I booked online and thought that the room included a basic ensuite but I think this is a fault with the websites advertising this hotel and not the hotel itself. Our room (G6) was a double room with a TV with a freeview box, tea making facilities and a bathroom style sink. The toilets and showers were shared between 3 rooms and located very close by. I concidered our rooms to be clean & secure but basic - just what we required. The hotels decor is worn and dated but the staff very helpfull and pleasant. We enjoyed a good nights sleep in comfortable beds. When my friend and I went for breakfast it was busy and we joined a table of 6 which already had 4 people sat down for breakfast. The people we joined for breakfast were very pleasant and we enjoyed their company. The breakfast was delightful! Full english breakfast buffet cooked lovely - (I think this was the reason why the breakfast room was so busy as people were tucking into seconds. Also I noted that the toilets and shower were cleaned often. If you are on a budget this is a decent hotel. I have paid slightly more for better in this area but you get what you pay for. I left this hotel feeling very happy that we got value for money. I would return.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kachanski
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Cheap budget hotel- i thought i was paying for an en-suite, but had a small shower in the corner of the bedroom and no toilet. Shared toilet facilities. Breakfast was tasty and location is ideal if travelling into Kings Cross or Euston. I've stayed in better hotels for similar prices in this location- so shop around before you book if you want a larger room with better facilities.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank janet o
Lochristi, Belgium
Reviewed 14 January 2014

If it's for one night (like me), what could you find for less in that area…I'm unsure. However, it's a basic 'dormitory' kind hotel with shared toilet on the corridor. The staff is not really smiling…the rules are the rules.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business