“Clean and Tidy”

Hotel Montana Excel
Ranked #785 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I would like to say how impressed I was with how clean and tide our room was we had a triple room 1 double bed and 1 single my daughters and i, it was plenty big enough for the 3 of us, it had a shower in the room and a shared toilet in the hallway. Breakfast served between 7 and 9 and there was plenty for us to eat very nice. All the Staff are nice and friendly and I was surprised at how quiet it was as we faced onto the square. The location is excellent just near Kings Cross and St. Pancras, and of course the bus stops. Would recommend if you wanted a long week end in the city didn't think it was over priced.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Being pretty well travelled on a budget, I can cope with a lot...
Friendly staff a plus :-)

No where on our booking were we made aware of sharing a toilet with a floor.... I've hostelled before, and I'm past that.

Next- the 'shower'.
It was a cupboard that they had turned into a shower with a curtain, and no light.

I shared with a friend, this was made difficult when trying to enter and exit the shower cupboard.

The bed- was a pull out.... Need I say more...?

Not impressed and would not recommend this joint to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank Bec G
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Excellently placed just down from Kings Cross and St Pancras, I was in one of the basement rooms which was no where near as bad as some suggest.

Clean and tidy, the desk staff were good and I was right next to the breakfast room where a decent breakfast was provided. In all no complaints and if I do have to stop off in London again I would consider.

I also found it surprisingly quiet for London.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank NiallWallace
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The location of this hotel was fantastic! Very close to Kings Cross station, so we had access to lots of Underground lines. Also close to British Library. You will have to take the Underground to get to the main attractions, but it's very convenient and easy.

The hotel room was bigger than I expected. I stayed in the triple room, which had 3 twin beds. The bathroom was in the hallway outside of the room, which was nice because it added a bit more space. The room wasn't enormous, and we had to move out of the way for each other, but the price and location made it worth it.

It also included free English breakfast, which was yummy! There was coffee, tea, juice, eggs, toast, sausages, roasted tomatoes, and baked beans. Very nice to have in the morning.

My only complaint was with the wifi. They say that there's free wifi available in all locations, but it didn't really reach in my room. We had to prop our phones up against the window to make them work, or go downstairs to the breakfast room. It still worked, but it was inconvenient. If I were taking an online class (like I considered), it would have been a bit issues because I couldn't get my Chromebook to connect at all.

Overall, though, great location for a great price! Also was quiet and felt safe. Recommended!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Christy157
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I stayed in the Montana Excel Hotel for six nights with three other girls. We came to London for a Design Show as part of our final degree so we were looking for somewhere to stay nearby the design centre and within our budget.

We stayed in the 'family room' which consisted of one double bed and two single beds. Very comfortable and linen was changed everyday as were towels. The overall cleanliness of the room was great. Although there were a few ants in the bathroom which is normal at this time of year in hot weather however i am unsure of whether the hotel staff were aware of the problem.

We spent quite a lot of time within the hotel room on an evening after long days and were happy with the size of the room, television, tea/coffee facilities, and no noise at all on an evening.

Paying on an average of £30 per night per person, breakfast was included. It offered traditional hot english buffet-style breakfast or cereal options. Again, great food and really set us up for the day.

Staff members in the dining area and on the reception desk were all very polite and happy to help with any queries.

Overall, I think value for money you can't go wrong with this hotel and would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank rebeccamillican123
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The location of Montana Excel Hotel is excellent. Just few hundred meters from King's Cross Station. Even though the hotel was close to the station, the square next to the hotel was quiet. The hotel itself was clean, including the hotel room and on-suite toilet. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was ok (toast, bacon, eggs, sausages, tea, coffee, marmalade and orange juice - but the tomatoes came from a tin), although the breakfast room was quite warm and the sausages had been too long on the tray. Wifi worked well in early mornings and late evenings. All in all, very good value for money.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Karri_Karri
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This hotel is in a great location close to Kings Cross / St Pancras. Unfortunately we were on the top flor which wasn't fun with two large suitcases to get up all the stairs. We had a room with a shower but shared toilet. The shower was to small to use & we are not big people. The room was cramped as the beds were going across the room - you could hardly get passed the end. It would make a lot more sense to have the beds running along the walls - more room to move about and maneuverer suitcases. Breakfast was very good - the hotel is noisy but it was mainly other guests slamming doors. Very clean and tidy though.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family