“lovely room but the service was terrible”

Doubletree by Hilton London - Westminster
Ranked #258 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Biggleswade, United Kingdom
“lovely room but the service was terrible”
Reviewed 12 June 2012

My fiancee and I went to the Doubletree by Hilton Hotel in Westminster on the 2nd June. We was impressed by the hotel when we arrived, and that our room was ready for us as soon as we got there. We had to pay £50 deposit when we got there incase we put any extras on our bill etc and was told that the money would go back in to our account a few days later. We went up to our room and it was lovely. we were going to the theatre that night, so when we got back from shopping my Fiancee went to get in the shower, however all our toiletries in our bathroom was empty. Shower cap, grooming kit, shampoo etc, the bottles and boxes were in there but they were all empty. So i called reception and told them and they said they would have soeone bring up a shower cap (my girlfriend had her hair done especially for the night so didnt want to get it wet) so when a man knocked at the door, he laughed at me when he handed it over. so wasnt very impressed by this.
After a great night out we returned back to the hotel and found it hard to sleep, lots of banging doors etc. In the morning we went down to breakfast at 8:45am and wow, there was a line of people waiting to get into the restaurant to near enough to the entrance of the hotel. We waited 45 min in the line to be taken to our seat by a lady. She sat us down and left. We qued again in the long line for the breakfast where the same waitress went and sat another couple at our table. So i went out of the line to say it was our table, and she said it wasnt. (she had sat us there a few min before) luckily the couple sitting on the next table said yes it was our table, so she took the other couple to another table. So again not impressed.
After a horrible morning in the hotel we checked out, and was told as we didnt have any extras our deposit would be refunded to the card, that was 10 days ago now, and still nothing on my card.

The service was appalling, and we certainly would not return.

4 Thank Jazzymaye
D0laO, PA/Executive Assistant to the General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton London - Westminster, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
Dear Jazzymaye,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a detailed review of your recent stay at DoubleTree by Hilton London - Westminster.

I am sorry that your breakfast experience with us was disappointing. We have recently upgraded City Cafe, and the refurbishment works caused some disruption to our service. This is not however an excuse, and I wish to offer my sincere apologies that we have let you down on this occasion. We have reopened City Cafe, and both the service and the quality of breakfast has been met with positive reviews from our guests.

Regarding, the hold on your bank card, it is standard practice for debit/credit card transaction balances to be held by the banks either until the transaction is completed, or the hold "falls off." In the case of debit cards, authorisation holds can fall off the account (thus rendering the balance available again) anywhere from 1–5 days after the transaction date depending on the bank's policy; in the case of credit cards, holds may last longer, sometimes up to 30 days.

Some banks do allow the removal of a hold from an account by the hotel; however, many do not. We can try to void a transaction from this end, but the hold may remain on the account, depending on the issuing bank policy. If the hold of the funds has not yet been released, please contact us with your details and we will do our best to void the authorisation.

My sincere apologies once again for any inconvenience caused, and if there is anything else I can assist you with please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,
Dola O (PA/Executive Assistant to the General Manager)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (731)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Please note I do not work for Hilton, I am just so happy with the quality of this hotel and the experience I had.
To start with the price was reasonable, £100 for one night on a Bank Holiday is fantastic in London. The room was superb, A double room with massive amounts of space, a clean bathroom, power shower and an Apple Mac PC with free internet.
The staff were so helpful, It rained and they provided an umbrella and a taxi as well as drawing on our map to help us find places. They answered all of our questions and made our stay in London so much nicer.
Realistically the hotel is a 15 minute walk from Big Ben. This walk is along the Thames and on a nice day it is stunning.
I cannot say enough about this hotel. 100% reccommend to anyone looking for a very comfortable night in a high quality hotel in the centre of London.

Room Tip: Go for a king or a queen room. Very comfortable and spacious.
1 Thank jamesstealth
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I cashed in some Hilton Hhonors points for a five night stay with my wife just after the Queen's Jubilee weekend. The welcome was efficient and pleasant, the room clean but slightly tired and as many have said the bathrooms (well, shower rooms, to be accurate) are extremely small.

Service was generally very good although a temporary relocation of breakfast caused by refurbishment of the City Cafe did cause a very long queue one morning. However, the breakfast buffet was very good with lots of choice, plenty of hot and cold food and pleasant service.

One night we were woken up at 01:50 by someone knocking on our door, despite the "do not disturb" sign - I slept through this but my wife was woken and didn't answer. Five minutes later, we were woken by Reception phoning the room to tell us that "our charger had arrived." We knew nothing about this so could only assume that someone else had provided the wrong room number but it was annoying firstly to have the do not disturb sign ignored, secondly to be phoned at 01:50 in the morning and finally that no effort had been made to cross-reference a room number with a guest name. We did raise this issue in the morning and were offered a free drink but it did raise some slight concerns about security.

On a more positive note, this hotel has to be in the most quiet location possible in central London - no traffic, no sirens, no shouting in the street and for our purposes was very well located.

1 Thank Jorganmeister
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2012

This is a stylish modern hotel with attentive staff but sadly, not fit for purpose (our sleep was disrupted by constant slamming and other noise). We checked in late on the day before a wedding at Westminster. The room we were given was quite small despite being a king size (220 pounds per night with breakfast after tax - beware as they quote rates before tax!). The bathroom was small and crammed with a tiny sink, toilet and shower (no bath).
The entertainment system was a multipurpose iMac which worked very well as a TV and PC. Wifi signal was good.

Bathroom noise galore.
The sound proofing of the bathroom was poor. Not really ideal for a romantic night with one's partner unless you're into bathroom sounds. To make matters worse, the lavatory noise was not confined to your own room. We could clearly hear what seemed worryingly like lavatorial activity from the room above which was not pleasant.

Noise from the corridor.
Our room was close to the fire door which was in the deployed position all the time. The door was so poorly dampened that it slammed whenever someone passed though. Furthermore, the room doors are also noisy and the arranged so close together that the every opening and closing action is very clearly audible inside our room. Morning lie-in was thus pretty much impossible.

Their response.
A complaint was made to the reception but was told that the fire doors are kept open so should not be slamming. This was however not the case as I went outside to test it. Maybe the door was broken and remained deployed. We were however told by another staff the next day that fire door are meant to remain closed - "that's why they are called fire-doors". My office fire-doors are open all the time and are closed automatically when the fire alarm is sounded. Maybe I'm wrong here? Either way, such doors should be properly damped in a hotel. We were given another room the next day but was a downgraded to a queen size bed. Not ideal especially as we were charged for a king size (only to discover after check-out). We were far away from fire-doors in the queen size room so was not disturbed but we did hear slamming doors from nearby rooms.

Tips to guests:
1. If you are sensitive to noise, best avoid this hotel. OK if you have hearing difficulty.
2. If you can hear, do bring a pair of ear plugs. They are cheap.
3. If you missed breakfast because you didn't get any sleep, walk down Page St to the Regency cafe (10 minutes walk away). They do amazing traditional English breakfast set for about 5 pounds. The manager was a true delight to watch - shouting out orders and managing this very busy and fast moving breakfast & lunch restaurant of some renown.
4. Do not go on an unplanned walkabout after dark. There are some poor neighbourhood areas which you might not want to wander into.

Tips to hotel:
1. Please clearly indicate the price of the room.
2. Please provide complimentary ear plugs.
3. Please improve sound proofing of corridor and bathroom.

Room Tip: Tips to guests: 1. If you are sensitive to noise, best avoid this hotel. OK if you have hearing d...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank Billy B
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 11 June 2012

I've been to London several times and certainly have my favorite hotel but this time I needed to be in a different area of town so I set out to find something new. I wanted to be in the Westminster area during the Diamond Jubilee but didn't want to fight crowds every time I walked out the door so this hotel on a quiet side street was perfect. I compared lots of hotels and their prices, locations, and amenities (thank you Trip Advisor!), narrowed it down to 3 and ended up choosing the Doubletree because it was the only one with free wifi. Not only that, but each room has its own iMac computer that doubles as your TV! The front desk staff was friendly and helpful and the hotel was clean and modern. While the upstairs bar was good and served good bar food, we found the Citi Restaurant to be overpriced with dreadfully slow service (25 minutes after being seated, still no waiter!). The breakfast buffet was plentiful but also expensive so we found a Pret a Manger on Horseferry Road that we visited for breakfast most days. There are several pubs in the area as well. The hotel is situated between Pimlico and Westminster tube stops and both are convenient, but we enjoyed the walk along the river and by Houses of Parliament to the Westminster stop most often. We had taken the Gatwick Express in to Victoria and then the tube to Pimlico when we came which worked out well, but our luggage had grown increasingly heavier (shopping!) during the trip so we took a cab to Victoria when we left. It was 7 pounds. My only caveat about the hotel is that if you are a woman traveling alone, this street can be pretty deserted. Otherwise, it was a perfect choice for my friend and me and we were only steps away from the river to watch the Thames River Pageant. God save the Queen!

Room Tip: The elevator "speaks" on each floor: "Door opening. Sixth floor. Door closing.&quo...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank kgoley
Sussex
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Overall excellent stay, and I would return.

Each member of staff with whom I had contact was, without exception, pleasant and courteous. Requests were met with a smile and carried out with efficient friendliness.
The room was clean and the bed very comfortable - I had requested a firm mattress, and it was really extra-firm, which was great - one of the best hotel beds I've come across (keeping in mind my preference is for beds with hardly any give at all - you might wish to choose differently - friends had softer beds which they also rated highly.)

The sound proofing is excellent - I heard nothing - no noise at all.
The curtains were excellent at blocking out the light.
Best of all, the room had a window which opened. Air con was quiet and worked well.

Bathroom was very clean too - there was a tiny bit of mould in the corner of the shower, and the shower fitting was loose, but the shower itself was very good. The basin surround wasn't well joined at the corner, but again, this didn't affect my use of it - more cosmetic. Lovely selection of bathroom toiletries, and a little sewing repair kit - very useful!
There was a small fridge (again, very useful), and a good range of lovely organic teas and coffees. A safe, iron and ironing board.

Very efficient room service, with a smile each time, which I liked!

Free wi-fi, which was very easy to connect to, and a lovely Apple tv with internet as well.
It's very close (a few minutes' walk) to Altitude 360.

Only downside was that the restaurant was being refurbished, and I'm not sure if this was the reason for the grim breakfast - scrambled eggs which were unrecognisable as such, and barely lukewarm, and I understand other items on offer were not particularly appetising either, although I didn't try them.

But, as the room was the most important aspect for me, I'm giving a very high rating, and I would definitely like to return there, and maybe try out the refurbished restaurant.

Top rating for customer service.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank UsuallySunny
D0laO, PA/Executive Assistant to the General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton London - Westminster, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Dear UsuallySunny,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a detailed review of your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton London - Westminster. It is always a pleasure to receive such lovely feedback, and I have shared your kind comments with the Team, who are delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us.

I have noted your observations on the bathroom and your experience at breakfast, and forwarded this information to our Head Housekeeper and Food & Beverage Manager, so that they can inform their teams of the shortcomings and make the necessary amendments. My sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Many thanks once again, and we hope to welcome you back to DoubleTree Westminster sometime in the future!

Kind regards,
Dola O
(PA/Executive Assistant to the General Manager)
London
Reviewed 9 June 2012

This is a lovely hotel where the staff are helpful and efficient. We stayed for a weekend and the food and general ambience were excellent. I would recommend this hotel for London as it is in a nice area and near all the tube and bus stops. Very clean and tidy at all times.

Room Tip: I liked the top floor as it had a bit of a view and was light and airy.
1 Thank cassymicky