“welcoming hotel”

Ranked #253 of 1,090 Hotels in London
Bodmin, United Kingdom
“welcoming hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

I stayed here last weekend, and had a fantastic time from check in to check out. The staff were extremely friendly, and on learning my son and his partner were also staying, arranged a change of room so I could be near them.

The room was bright and airy, with a lovely view over Westminster. The window opened, and aircon/heaing worked well. The bed was comfy, and the shower was hot and powerful. The toiletries were plentiful and of good quality.

The TV was also a computer, which was a very welcome addition to the room along with the free wifi.

We all had cocktails in the bar on Saturday evening, which were very good, with a wide choice available. Something that could have been an issue was avoided. When I was presented with the (rather large) bar bill, there was a £15 service charge added. When I queried this, I was told it could be removed, and it was immediately, but maybe something to look out for.

I would highly recommend this hotel, for the facilities, welcoming staff and location, definitely one to bear in mind for the future.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
D0laO, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton London - Westminster, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear AnnabelleCornwall,

Thank you for your kind review of the DoubleTree by Hilton London - Westminster. We appreciate you taking the time to leave detailed feedback following your recent stay, and are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

It is always very rewarding to hear directly from our valued guests when our efforts have been recognised, and I have shared your kind comments with the team, who are delighted to have made such a good impression.

Regarding the addition of discretionary service charge, we appreciate your feedback on the matter as it helps us monitor and improve the service we provide, and we will be reviewing this process in due course.

Thank you once again. We appreciate your loyalty to our Brand, and hope to have the pleasure of your company at the DoubleTree Westminster in the not too distant future. Please do let us know when you plan to return, so that we may welcome you personally.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (718)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

I have been staying here for several months. I won't any more. Internet service has, until recently, been intermittent. No longer. Now there is none. And it has been that way for weeks. Every time I call the duty manager, I am told that the 'IT team has just been here, and now it works' - only to find out that it doesn't. The front desk staff is uninterested. Actually the front desk seems to be a bit of a training ground for Hilton staff, all largely inexperienced and unable to help with even the most basic requests. Finding a Miles and More frequent flyer card in the drop down menu of the computer system is a challenge for over half of them. And don't count on having a drink from your minibar to calm you down. It's empty. And don't call room service with any request 10min before closing time - the answer to all your questions will be 'no'. Personally my take on this place, until the manager gets a grip on it, is 'no' as well.

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank i-live-for-lunch
D0laO, Guest Relations Manager at Doubletree by Hilton London - Westminster, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear i-live-for-lunch,

Thank you for your review of your recent visit to the DoubleTree Westminster.

I am sorry that the Internet connection was poor during your visit. We have listened to guest feedback and are currently upgrading the Internet and Wi-Fi system throughout the Hotel, so that we can provide an improved service that all our guests will enjoy in the near future.

I have noted your comments on the unstocked minibar. In keeping with DoubleTree standards worldwide, we have now opened our Executive Lounge which offers complimentary snacks and drinks for Executive Room bookings, and has therefore taken the place of the minibar. We do offer a minibar package on demand for other room types, as is stated on the literature inside the fridge, so please feel free to order this from the Front Desk on your next visit.

Your feedback is important to us as it highlights service areas in which we may improve, and I have forwarded your experience with the front desk staff to the Front of House Manager for review and further action. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience.

Thank you once again for your review. I am sorry that you have decided not to return to our property at this time, but we appreciate your feedback, and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the DoubleTree Westminster sometime in the future.

dublin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

I stayed here with my husband for three nights.I had an awful experience in the shower when the temp suddenly fluctuated and the water became scalding hot .My scalp was sore for the day and I was extremely upset. My break was ruined.I reported it immediately to the duty manager..He promised to have the faulty part replaced that day.I have just read a review posted in the last few days and see I am not the first to have this happen. This has made me very angry.
Leaving this aside its not a bad hotel.No character. Could be any hotel anywhere. Clean and efficient though the queue s at check out on Sunday am was very slow.Beds were very comfortable and linens very good quality. Room small and bathroom very small .
Breakfastwas the usual fare with no variation . Toaster burned the bread each morning.Excellent porridge and the best soft boiled eggs I have had in an hotel.
Saff very eage though I object to compulsory tipping. My husband charged a coffee to the room to find a 44 pence charge had been added.When he queried it he was informed it was discretionary. SThere was nothing discretionary about it.
The locationis good though it would be more correct to name it the Pimlico Hotel as its .9 of a mile from Westminster.

Room Tip: There is a building site opposite the hotel. If quiet is important mention this whenbooking.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank society
Dear society,

Thank you for your review of the DoubleTree Westminster. We appreciate you taking the time to provide detailed information regarding your recent visit.

I was very sorry to read of your experience in the shower and have forwarded your complaint to our Property Management team for further review. Regarding the service charge, I have been advised that this is indeed discretionary and was refunded to your husband upon request. We appreciate your feedback on the matter, as it helps us monitor and improve the service we provide.

Once again, I am sorry that your experience with us on this occasion was not as positive as you would have liked. We do appreciate your loyalty to our Brand, and we hope that you will grant us the opportunity to welcome you back to the DoubleTree Westminster to restore your faith in us.

Jersey City, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

Well - this was a great location for *me* anyway! Easy walking distance to the Holborn tube station, which runs directly to Heathrow (Piccadilly Line), close to the British Museum and nestled in a bustling area full of restaurants and close to a lot of great things.

Because I was staying a full week they upgraded me to a larger room. A very nice mid-level hotel for a reasonable price in a city where hotel rooms can be incredible.

Room Tip: I had a room overlooking the courtyard - no view - but very quiet
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear thomas n,

Thank you for your kind review of the DoubleTree Westminster. We are very pleased indeed to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that our location and facilities were well-suited to your needs.

We look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit. Please do let us know when you plan to return, so that we may welcome you personally.

Thank you once again!

Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

An impeccable hotel in every way!
Extremely clean, staff very helpful and breakfast was excellent.

If I had to be picky then the room was very warm, but the air-con was quite noisy so I was struggling to find a deep sleep, but it did not spoil the experience of this great hotel?

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear macandjudy,

Thanks for your kind review of your stay at the DoubleTree Westminster. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience, and are pleased to see that you enjoyed your visit and that our location and facilities are well-suited to your needs.

Here at the DoubleTree Westminster, we strive to provide the high standards of service that our guests enjoy and have come to expect from our Brand, and it is very rewarding when our efforts have been recognised. I have shared your kind comments with the team, who are delighted to have made such a good impression.

Your feedback is important to us as it highlights areas of service in which we may improve, and I have forwarded your comments regarding the noisy air conditioning to our Property Maintenance Manager for review. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience.

Other than this, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate your loyalty to our Brand, and hope to welcome you back to the DoubleTree Westminster in future.

Wales, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

Excellent hotel. Don't want to repeat everything that most reviewers have said so I'll break it down to what was important to us.

Pros- very central. 5 minute walk from Pimlico tube station and a pleasant 10 min walk past houses of parliament and big Ben to Westminster underground.

Check-in was very efficient and our room was ready for us to check into at 12.15 with no mention of having to pay an extra charge as I've read here on other reviews.

Queen guest room was clean and a decent size with comfy bed, imac/tv, free wifi

All staff were friendly and polite

Breakfast- was the best I've had in any hotel. There was a huge choice.

Lounge bar - A very stylish and quiet haven to relax over a drink.

Cons- Can't really think of any, unless the construction site outside counts as a con. The room was still too warm for me, even with the Air con on minimum but I opened the window so problem solved lol

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear we_re_off_again-soon,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton London - Westminster. It's a pleasure indeed to receive such detailed positive feedback of your stay, and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location and facilities suitable for your needs.

Here at the DoubleTree Westminster, we are very proud of the number of positive contributions that the Trip Advisor community has left for us over the years, and it is a joy to add yours to this growing number. I have shared your comments with the team, and we are all very encouraged by your kind words.

Thank you once again. We appreciate your loyalty to our Brand, and hope to welcome you back to the DoubleTree Westminster in the not too distant future.

Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

only stayed one night as making a fleeting visit to London but received excellent service and wished had stayed for more. Couldn't fault the service nice clean hotel within walking distance of all the main sights. In very quiet area of London would recommend

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Dear Andreaw281,

Many thanks for your review of the DoubleTree Westminster following your recent stay. We appreciate you taking the time to provide such detailed feedback of your stay, and are delighted that you enjoyed your visit to London.

Here at the DoubleTree Westminster, we strive to provide the high standards of service that our guests enjoy and have come to expect from our Brand. It is therefore very rewarding when this has been achieved and our efforts kindly recognised by valued guests such as yourself. I have shared your kind comments with the team, and we are all very encouraged by your kind words.

Many thanks once again. We appreciate your loyalty to our Brand, and hope to welcome you back to the DoubleTree Westminster in the not too distant future. Please do let us know when you plan to return, so that we may welcome you personally.