“Perfectly fine hotel-Great "pre-cruise" stay”

DoubleTree by Hilton London - Westminster
Ranked #267 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Lakewood, Colorado
“Perfectly fine hotel-Great "pre-cruise" stay”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed 2 nights pre-cruise. Room was very clean & queen bed comfortable. The room was an adequate size. Recommend including the breakfast buffet. Large selection of both european & American food. There was construction across the street, but we never heard it from our room. Westminster Abbey, Big ben, Thames River are all within walking distance. All the staff including the restaurant were very friendly. My only disappointment was that my hair straight iron didn't fit any plug or adaptor they had. The bus stop for the HOHO bus was a short walk. Also a Five to Ten minute Taxi ride to train station.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Linda4215
D0laO, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London - Westminster, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Linda4215,

Thank you for your review of the DoubleTree by Hilton London - Westminster. It's a pleasure indeed to receive such glowing feedback following your recent stay, and we're delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location and facilities suitable to your needs.

I'm pleased that your room was quiet despite the construction in the local area. We are often described as an oasis of calm in London, as you get all the benefits of a Central London hotel without the hustle and bustle of the city that usually accompanies it.

Here at the DoubleTree Westminster we strive to provide the high standards of service that our guests enjoy, and have come to expect from our Brand. It is therefore very rewarding when this has been achieved, and our efforts so kindly recognised by valued guests such as you. I have passed your kind comments to the team, who are all delighted to have made such a positive impression.

We appreciate your loyalty to our Brand, and hope to welcome you back to the DoubleTree Westminster in the not too distant future. Please do let us know when you plan to return, so that we may welcome you personally.

Thank you once again!

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (744)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
San Jose, California
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Had a nice 3-nights stay there: good experience.
I booked a queen executive room, very confortable. The two things that I didn't like were 1) the Mac instead of a TV: it really doesnt replace a TV as the screen is too small and the angle is poor; and 2) the AC which makes noise even were turned-on: bothered me at night.
Concierge was very helpful and eager to help.
Executive lounge is located in a room without windows.
Also used Laundry service: expensive but high quality

Room Tip: High floor and not facing the construction site!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Richard J,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the DoubleTree Westminster. I am pleased to see that you generally enjoyed your stay.

In today’s digital world, we find that our guests have as much need for a computer as they do a television; as such, all our rooms are equipped with iMacs which serve as both television & computer, however I apologise if you found this inconveninent to use. We have a 24-hour Duty Manager who is happy to provide instruction in operating the unit if assistance is needed.

We do appreciate your feedback as it enables us monitor and improve upon the service we provide, your comments on the size and angle of the iMac screen has ben forwarded to our Facilities Manager for further consideration. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I apologise also for the noise from the air conditioning unit. If you would be kind enough to contact me directly with further details of the room you stayed in, we can make any necessary adjustments to the unit. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience.

Other than this, I trust that the remainder of your stay was satisfactory. We appreciate your loyalty to our Brand, and hope to welcome you back to the DoubleTree Westminster for a stay that you will fully enjoy.

Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We stayed here in order to get to Wimbledon with little fuss, we walked to the hotel from the tube station at Westminster , I thought from the web site that it was a bit closer to Westminster but it was around a 10 minute walk. The hotel was fresh modern and bright. The room , we had a basic double, was small and only a shower but adequate . Toiletries were available but no bars of soap. Just hand liquid soap and shower gel attached to the wall.
There was however an iMac to use in the room for internet and watching television. We also used the bar which was lovely. And we had a meal in the dining room the food was of an excellent standard and well presented. All in all a good hotel

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AMS19
Dear AMS19,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton London - Westminster. We appreciate you taking the time to leave detailed feedback of your stay, and are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Here at the DoubleTree Westminster, we are very proud of the positive contributions that members of the Trip Advisor community have left for us over the years, and it is a joy to add yours to this growing number.

Thank you once again. We appreciate your loyalty to our Brand, and hope to welcome you back to the DoubleTree Westminster in the not too distant future!

Widnes, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

We've just got back from a weekend in London staying at this hotel Sat and Sun night. Checkout is 12 noon. What they don't mention on booking, on the web or on check in is the noise from the construction site next door starts at 8am on Monday morning! We were woken by the noise from the jackhammer which was so bad the headboard was literally rattling. This went on from 8 until we checked out early, 2 hours later. It looks like it will go on for months yet so anyone staying on a week night should take heed. I feel we should've been warned at some point. Didn't eat breakfast so can't comment but we visited the bar on Sun Eve and the service was poor. Pounced on for our drink order before we'd barely sat down and when we asked for a couple of mins to look through the drinks menu we didn't see the waitress again and had to go the bar to order. (and paid at the same time, as you do). She was quick to run over as we were leaving to see if we'd signed for the drinks! The room was nice, clean and spacious, but felt that the iMac computer which doubled up as a TV was pointless, we'd rather have a larger TV. Finally and maybe somewhat petty but the hospitality tray in the room was limited, no herbal tea or hot chocolate, just tea or coffee. I think with the price of the rooms, to provide some green tea and hot chocolate wouldn't break the bank. We will still stay at a Doubletree as they are generally excellent, just not this one.

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank missislee
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We had a lovely stay at this hotel. We stayed in a corner room which had a great view which was unexpected. The room was very comfortable and clean, the Apple TV was a bonus as were the tea and coffee making facilities.
It is in a great location, close to Pimlico station but we found we were able to walk to most places, it only took us half an hour to walk to Covent Garden. It is also situated on a quiet road which was a really nice change.
Although the reception staff were fairly helpful, I didn't feel they were particularly friendly and at times it seemed as though I was an inconvenience for asking a simple question.
Aside from that I would recommend this hotel due to the great location and lovely rooms.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Imie C
Dear Imie C,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton London - Westminster. It's a pleasure to see that you enjoyed your stay, and that our location and facilities are well-suited to your needs.

Your feedback is important to us as it highlights areas of our service in which we can improve, and I have forwarded your comments regarding the service from our Reception Desk to our Front of House Manager for quality and training purposes within her team. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience as this is certainly not how we usually operate.

Other than this, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate your loyalty to our Brand, and hope to welcome you back to the DoubleTree Westminster in the not too distant future.

Kind regards

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Very good service and a nice stay for central LondonVery good service and a nice stay for central LondonVery good service and a nice stay for central LondonVery good service and a nice stay for central LondonVery good service and a nice stay for central LondonVery good service and a nice stay for central LondonVery good service and a nice stay for central London

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

As a silver Hilton HHonors member I was looking forward to stopping at another DoubleTree property. I have found their hotels on the whole to be functional yet spacious and special, which is why I chose this particular hotel, but I felt slightly cheated pretty much from the moment I arrived.

The hotel is not the easiest to find, and isn't really what I would call Westminster as Pimlico tube station is much closer.

It does not state anywhere in the website from what I can see that no rooms here have baths! For a hotel charging £200+ a night this is very poor. The bathrooms themselves are tiny and this was even in an "executive" room. Premier Inns have better bathrooms than this.

The mini bar was empty, when I asked why, I was told that it was their policy that guests call room service for items, sightly odd when a minibar is there for convenience.

There is no television as such but an iMac which whilst it is an interesting touch to the hotel it is not on a usable desk if you want it for normal computing so I'm not sure why they do not just have televisions. The rooms are rather small and the room that I asked for with a view had a wonderful view over a construction site next door.

I informed reception as soon as I arrived in the room to be told I could be upgraded to a suite... For a very large additional premium. I politely declined and stayed with my current room but felt slightly robbed of nearly £300 for something that felt like a £60 service.

Finally rather oddly I found the complimentary miniatures in the bathroom, some of them were already half used by the previous guest.

Good points:
- generally good customer service
- air conditioning was excellent and easy to use
- breakfast was good
- executive lounge was okay but nothing special

Bad points:
- room sizes are rather 'cosy'
- WiFi, whilst free, was practically useless
- strange policy on minibar use
- no baths

This hotel has made me question whether the Hilton group are really offering value for money and I am considering using my points then taking my loyalty elsewhere as there are much better hotels in London for less than this.

• Stayed July 2014