“Convenient”

DoubleTree by Hilton London - Westminster
Ranked #304 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 11 November 2010

Large, convenient hotel. Yet it could be anywhere - it is not a boutique hotel! The rooms are very clean. With Apple TV. It is especially nice to stay in the upper floors - as it is ligther there and the view is nice. Very good breakfast with all the choices you could think of. But don't arrive late - the personal is very strict.
The location is good. Public transport is near by.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 10 November 2010

We have stayed several times at City Inn and are always warmly welcomed and very well looked after throughout our stay. Without exception the staff are looking to ensure you receive top-level service from whichever department they happen to be working in. Keep it up, guys......we'll be back!

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed 8 November 2010

We stayed at the City Inn Westminster for 4 nights. The experience started out great. We noted an early check-in when we made the reservation on their site and after getting off at Pimlico station (easy transfer from the Gatwick express) we walked to the hotel in 10-15 minutes. Great way to see the area which is quite safe. The hotel had our room ready at 9:00 which we were thrilled with. The bed was comfortable. The only hiccup was the window didn't open and there was a note stating to take a water from the mini-bar as compenseation for the inconvience. So, all was going well until . . .

Second night around 7:00 we noticed a puddle on the floor under the air conditioner. We called down and someone came up, took a look and told us it was "normal condensation" They dried it up with a towel and left. Third night the leaking started again, although this time the water was coming down with greater velocity making enough noise to wake us up during our sleep. We called the next morning and maintenance told us the pump wasn't working and he would replace it, but it would take 30 minutes. We left and continued our site-seeing. When we came back that night, the a/c wouldn't work at all and there was this noise of constantly running water (sounded like a running faucet) coming from the a/c. My wife called down and after getting off the phone she noted they sounded annoyed. I took a call back from a clearly annoyed front desk person who told me if I couldn't deal with the a/c not working she would transfer me to another room. I explained the a/c not working wasn't nearly as much problem as the noise. If she could fix the noise we would live with it. She ignored this and said she would send someone right up to move all our bags. When I noted we were unpacked and it would take a few minutes she acted even more annoyed and told me to call back.

Finally someone came up, told me it was normal noise. We walked to the new room together and although it wasn't making the same noise he wouldn't comment on it (I was about to find out why). He left me the key to the new room and we got to move our own bags (yeah!). We went down there where we found lots of interesting things. The new room
1) had an incredibly uncomfortable bed (especially compared to our original room)
2) was right on the end where street noise was prominent (again compared to our original room)
3) had a weird grinding noise coming from the iMAC (which also doubles as your TV) whenever we used it.

I have a strong suspicion we got the lemon room b/c we complained about their problem with the a/c. I guess we should have lived with the noise. At any rate we just lived with the problems for one night for fear of getting transferred to a broom closet. Needless to say we didn't complan when they also charged us for the water we had taken from the mini-bar (see first paragraph). It wasn't worth it.

So, if you're willing to roll the dice on a reasonably priced room in a good location with internet access this might be the hotel for you. Just remember if you have problems, consider how painful the staff might make the rest of your stay before complaining.

2  Thank crocker21p
Reviewed 7 November 2010

great hotel, great rooms,great staff and very reasonable. has all the ingredients right. only moan rather noisy air-con!

Reviewed 7 November 2010

My friend and I stayed at the City Inn this Friday just gone, and although it was a clean, modern place with good facilities, I have to say I was disappointed with it overall.

I’ll start with a positive: It’s a well presented hotel, in a good area, with a nice bustling city feel to it – which I liked. The man behind the desk when we arrived was polite and friendly, and let us check in at 11:30am, which we were eternally grateful for - as we had only meant to ask if we could store our luggage somewhere until the room was ready. Having somewhere to relax for a little while until we went for lunch was a welcome surprise.

Unfortunately, when we got to the room we found that it was a double, and not a twin as we had requested – and had been told it was not five minutes earlier at the check-in desk. We were both too tired to argue the point, and didn’t want to carry our things to another room, or have to wait until it was made into a twin, so we let it slide and just shared a bed.

Lunch was something of a let down too, I’m sorry to say. The lady behind the counter at the City Inn Cafe was all smiles and taking coats for the guests in front of us, but only managed to give us a less-than-subtle once over before asking for our room number. Ok, so I’m not a business-woman, but I’ve paid my way like everyone else, there’s no need to look at me like I’m going to steal your cutlery. I didn’t find much taste at all in the food either, very pretty to look at and not massively overpriced, but lacking in flavour a bit, for me.

Another young man behind the hospitality desk was very nice though, he made conversation with us earlier in the day, and got a taxi when we were heading out for the evening – even held the door for us.

The room was fine for the night – a little hot, but I suppose that’s just personal taste as we had the window open and there was air conditioning. I was quite surprised that I heard very little noise from above, around or below us. I don’t know if it was a slow night, but I only heard a few doors being closed and a tap running in the room above, it was very quiet. Even the noise from the open window didn't bother us at all.

The thing that annoyed me most was on the Saturday morning: After being up since 4am on Friday (with hardly any sleep the night before, 2-3hrs maybe) we were understandably exhausted, after a long day we got to sleep at about 12midnight. The next morning we were woken just after 9am by someone trying a key in the door, followed by a knock - it's a good job we locked it, or they would have just walked right in. My friend answered it, to find a woman from the reception, who apologised and said she ‘would come back later’ - for what, she didn’t say. Little over an hour later, just as we were starting to get ready, there was another key being tried in the door twice and another knock. I answered it this time, to be greeted by a different woman from reception (we were slightly puzzled as to why receptionists were trying to get into our room at all) who again apologised straight away and said she ‘would come back later’, then scurried off before I could even ask what she would be coming back for. Is it hotel policy to wake up guests three hours before check-out time?? Of course they can’t have known how tired we were, but still…

I have a friend who works for a certain purple-themed hotel chain, and he told me that they have a departures list which names are crossed off when guests check out, they NEVER knock on doors or even call rooms until the check-out time has lapsed, and neither does housekeeping, because it’s annoying and it WAKES PEOPLE UP.

To me it seemed like this: once perhaps is a mistake, twice is someone saying ‘send up a receptionist to make sure those young Northern girls are awake, know they have to get out, and that they haven't trashed the place.’ That may not have been how it was intended, but that is how it felt, and it offended both of us.

Final negative I’m afraid, no one even bothered to ask if the room was alright or if we had had any problems with our stay, not once.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 November 2010

Stayed in the City Inn in Westminster for 2 nights. Hotel is a great location with Westminster attractions all within walking distance.
The room was a great size with the exception of the bathroom which was a little small, but adequate for a weekend stay.

Had a meal in the restaurant which was very good with excellent waiter service, despite the fact we were eating late.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2010

Stayed one night, and would recommend it. More like a business hotel, but very friendly staff and good breakfast. Room as one would expect, but nice to have computer instead of TV, which also plays TV, radio, DVD, etc. Disadvantage is not many restaurants in immediate vicinity, but Pimlico tube is only five minutes walk away, so easy to get to the West End. Booked through hotelclick via this website, which was cheaper than booking direct or through other hotel booking sites. Only disadvantage is there is a EUR 25 cancellation fee with hotelclick.