The Ivy House Hotel
US$216
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Arrived to be told that they had been trying to contact me. Checked phone and the call had been 10 mins earlier. They advised that maintenance problems and instead of 2 single rooms with ensuite they asked whether we would consider twin with ensuite. After turning this down they said they would try and find a room in a different hotel. I said that we wanted to be in the same hotel. A phone call was made but I could not understand as spoken in one of the asian languages. Then offered one twin en-suite and one basic single. Reluctantly accepted this.
The single room was very small. The coffee in the room was not very nice. The shared shower and toilet facilities were also very small. Train noise for rooms at back of hotel. The continental breakfast was not continental. Offered cereal and received a bowl full of the chosen cornflakes; toast was brought without asking and only white bread. Unfortunately the room (which is in the basement) smelled of bleach which put me off eating. On the positive side the room was clean. Ok for a one night stop. Excellent location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the front of the hotel
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank S R
Reviewed 18 May 2012

We stayed at this place (CAN'T CALL IT A HOTEL) from Apr 20 TO Apr 22. I'd searched for a place close to the finish of the London Marathon but wish i'd ventured further afield and used the superb transport links more than we did. We stayed in the 5-person room which was suitably placed in the eaves of the building up about 6 flights of stairs. We paid £260 for a two night stay, which in hindsight is an absolute disgrace. I fully understand people are expected to pay a premium for its location but this place does not live up to other hotels. In actual fact, i cannot believe this place can get through annual inspections??? The room was shabby with paint peeling off the walls, scum all over the bathroom floor and tiles, dirty bed linen, filthy carpets - NEED I SAY MORE?? Luckily, our itinerary over the weekend was involved much sightseeing so spent little time in the place more than absolutely necessary. On the first morning we ventured down to the breakfast room OMG..!! There were two rooms which seated around 20 with a galley kitchen split down the middle showing the establishment in its full glory - sub-standard conditions. The breakfast menu comprised of coco pops, cornflakes, toast, tea, coffee and orange. My partner and the kids made the most of the measly offerings but i flatly refused to touch any of it..!!! The weekend in London topped off by a memorable London Marathon was certainly one to remember, but the Ivy House Hotel is one to forget..!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank John T
Reviewed 8 May 2012

Perfect location and big enough room made this hotel a good value for money. Usually you get disappointed with tiny hotel rooms in this area, but not in this case. It was confusing as my room was actually in a different hotel next door, but I assume they are a chain. There was a fridge in the room, which was lovely. The bathroom was pathetic, but at least it was en-suite. It was close to the station, but quiet enough for a good night sleep.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 5 April 2012

The room was small but clean. My room had a small bathroom with a shower , TV, a small refrigerator, and a closet. I think the hotel is in a perfect location right behind the Victoria Station. It is close to Buckingham Palace (walking)and from Victoria you can go anywhere else in London by train or Bus. I walked to several places in London area.In general the room was good for me , I was alone and I am small person so it did not bother me in addition I spend most of the day outside seeing London .There was also internet available.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank FRESIA M
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I had read the reviews and was worried about staying here but thought I'd give it a whirl after a booking elsewhere fell through at the last minute. I paid £26 for a single room, and as a regular budget hotel guest in London I know how cheap this is. My expectations were low...

HOWEVER, I was pleasantly surprised. The staff were very friendly, and although my room wasn't in the Ivy House itself (it was in Cedar Lodge, a few doors further down) there were card locks on all the interior and exterior doors and CCTV - it was pretty secure. The decor is very basic and somewhat tired, but I can't criticise the cleanliness of my room, the bed linen, or the bathroom. I was particularly happy to be upgraded to a double en-suite at no extra cost.

If you are traveling to London and expect to be getting the value for money as in other major cities then you need to readjust your expectations. You are paying pretty much the lowest price in London and consequently you shouldn't expect a spacious and charming hotel room. To put it in perspective, a bed in a YHA dormitory in London is about £20. What you should expect is somewhere that is functional and clean, which is what I got.

Yes, the bathrooms are seriously tiny. Yes, the walls are paper-thin. Yes, the carpets are looking a little threadbare. However, if all you want is somewhere to watch a spot of TV and hit the hay then I don't think you could do better for the money.

In conclusion, this is not somewhere I'll be staying with the wife for a romantic weekend break, but I'll certainly be booking it again when I want somewhere cheap to stay when I'm in town on my own.

I didn't bother with the breakfast, so can't comment on it.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are close to the railway. Consider asking for a room at the front.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business