“Amazing location and very comfy”

Premier Inn London Southwark (Bankside) Hotel
Ranked #132 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

Amazing location. Right beside borough market! Southwark is definitely the best area of London. The hotel has massive rooms and extremely comfy beds. The only downside of the Hotel is the breakfast. It's not particularly nice and is in a creepy little pup plus there are much better breakfast places really close by. Apart from that though it is a great hotel!

Stayed: November 2013
PISouthwarkBM, Manager at Premier Inn London Southwark (Bankside) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2013

Dear Callum,

Thank you very much for taking the time and the trouble to write a TripAdvisor review for Premier Inn London Southwark Borough Market. We’re extremely pleased that our hotel lived up to your expectations and you found its location amazing. Though we would prefer our breakfast and the pub it is served in was more to your liking, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts, and sincerely hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at Premier Inn London Southwark Borough Market.

There are newer reviews for Premier Inn London Southwark (Bankside) Hotel

Reviewed 30 October 2013

A real gem of a place to stay. Lots of really great eateries and bars which were really buzzing and right on the Thames. Will definitely stay here again. Reception staff were really friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on top floor. Ground floor right on road
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
PISouthwarkBM, Manager at Premier Inn London Southwark (Bankside) Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your lovely comments. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback and I am happy to hear you enjoyed your time at the hotel. I will certainly share your comments with the team who I know will be delighted to hear that their efforts have been recognised. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel the next time you are in London.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

The rooms were very clean, and the location worked well for us. It is attached to the Anchor, an historical pub on the south bank of the River Thames. It was nice to stroll along the river in that area, as it was a bit less touristy/busy than the areas nearer to Westminster or Tower Bridge, and it is an easy walk to the Shard, Shakespeare's Globe Theatre, Borough Market, and one of the stops for the Original bus tours.

If you are staying a limited time, I recommend picking an accommodation closest to the attractions you are visiting, as it takes considerable time to travel between them. I was interested in many of the attractions along and near to the Thames, but did not get to visit all of them in our three night stay, due to the time it takes to get between the locations. We only took the underground once, but the stop we thought was the closest to the inn, is a little bit of a distance. If you need to take the underground more frequently it might be a consideration. We hopped on the water taxi to shorten some of the distance back to Southwark bridge, the closest bridge to the inn from Westminster Bridge.

When asked by the management how our stay was going after the first night, we mentioned that the bed in our room 301 was not as comfortable as expected. She offered us another room; room 221 (I think that was the room #) which was on the second floor and was bigger and nicer. In 221 the bay windows were lovely with space for seating or luggage, and there is a lovely tree in view. Room 301 has a view of the Shard. It was nice to have the larger room, as we were staying in England for 2 weeks and had a lot of luggage.

The air conditioning did not work as well in room 221. We managed, as the weather was cool at night with the windows opened, and it was quiet. Both of the rooms we stayed in were quiet at night.

The next morning I was jet-lagged and woke up late and rushed to the Anchor where the breakfast buffet is served. I did not see anyone around, staff or customers; but saw that the cereals, milk and coffee were still out. I helped myself to cereal and coffee and I was about to take a seat when a staff member, a young lady, came around the corner and announced that breakfast was over.....she looked at me and asked..."didn't they tell you it stops at 9:30?"- it was 9:33. I said “sorry I overslept”...and asked if I could take it to my room....she said "no, because I need the dishes".....then said..."go ahead I need to rearrange the tables"....I felt embarrassed, but was also surprised...as it was still out...and I would have been happy to return the dishes. A full English breakfast was available at the Anchor Pub each morning, and it has a rooftop beer garden that was opened in the evening.
We enjoyed the atmosphere of the pub.

We enjoyed Premier Inn because it is just off of the river and attached to an historical pub with other great pubs around, but the prices are high as it is London. At that cost...well frankly, all accommodations should have proper beds, which would include a box spring and mattress; not just one mattress on top of a platform that you can feel underneath, and also proper ventilation...the air conditioning should work efficiently.

Room Tip: The second floor seems to have the larger rooms. I originally picked the 3rd floor because I read t...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nicsholidays

Dear Guest,

I'd like to thank you for such a constructive and detailed feedback. It was interesting to read your comments and I am glad to note that overall you had an enjoyable stay with us. I will take on board your comments regarding the breakfast service and will share them with the management team of the Anchor Pub since I personally believe you should have been given an opportunity to at least finish your breakfast.

The location of our hotel is indeed excellent for exploring the sights of London. As for prices, you did notice correctly we are located in Central London and the rates are more or less similar across the majority hotels of the same standard. We give the utmost importance to our guest comments as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. We are working on an ongoing problem of airconditioning and Im sorry to hear you were given one of the rooms with the aircon being out of order. We will also consider an issue you mentioned in regard to the bed and mattress.

Once again thank you for sharing your thoughts with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel the next time you are in London.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

This is a good value chain hotel, unpretentious but with good sized, modern, clean and comfortable rooms.over three floors There are no hotel bar facilities but there is a private internal access to the adjoining historic Anchor Inn, where breakfast is served overlooking St Paul's Cathedral across the Thames. This characterful reclaimed dockside area has countless bars and restaurants, the famous foodie paradise of the Borough Market, "Shakespeare's" Globe theatre, the ancient Southwark Cathedral and Tate Modern all within strolling distance. The hotel staff were particularly helpful and friendly. They will even hold your bags after you check out, so you can continue your stay in the capital unencumbered for a few more hours.

Room Tip: Inside rooms over the inner yard are quieter than those on the street .
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely comments. We are happy to hear that everything was outstanding during your short break and that you found the location of our hotel perfect for exploring the sights of London. Our reception team always ensures guests are looked after during their stay and it is a pleasure for me to hear you were happy with the service provided.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at Premier Inn London Southwark Borough Market and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We enjoyed our second stay at this excellent Premier Inn, right in the heart of the South Bank, sandwiched between Southwark Cathedral and Borough Street Market. As well as a great base for exploring all that London has to offer (London Bridge Tube/Rail Station is a 5minute walk away and Southern trains have a fast and cheap direct connection to and from Gatwick Airport), this area is packed with restaurants, attractions (the replica Golden Hind, the original Clink prison, the Globe Theatre etc. etc.) and popular bars. Five stars for the very friendly and helpful staff and the quiet atmosphere inside the hotel.

We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank ham1sh

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a TripAdvisor review for Premier Inn London Southwark Borough Market. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback and I am delighted you enjoyed your time at the hotel so much. I will certainly share your comments with the team who I know will be happy to hear that their efforts have been recognised.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed 24 October 2013

Have now stayed here on our last three trips to London. Very easy to get to Globe, Southbank, Borough Market, Tate Modern and River buses. Very friendly staff and comfortable rooms.
Breakfast area overlooks the Thames- great.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments. I was pleased to note you had an enjoyable stay with us and you found the team here to be friendly and accommodating. Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel and we hope you'd continue using our services. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

I was there for 3 nights with my kids.
It is not a luxury hotel, but it is in a very pitoresque place (Jack the Ripper used to "act" there).
Clean and with good breakfast.
Quiet and kids friendly.
Stunning view on the Thames from breakfast room

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Vania C

Dear Vania,

Thank you for your nice comments. It is a pleasure to hear you were satisfied with your stay and the service provided. As you mentioned, we are not a luxury hotel but doing our best to be family-friendly. Thank you once again and we hope to welcome you back some time soon.