All reviews paddington tube station sussex gardens small hotel shower and toilet tea coffee making facilities restaurants and shops continental breakfast oxford street full english three nights slippers
Reviewed 1 September 2011

Location is great, just a 5min walk from Paddington station. But the hotel.. change if you still can ;) We needed to report at a different hotel as there was no staff in our hotel. They have basement rooms, which seem like a broomcupboard! I requested something better and got a room on the second floor, which was somewhat better with the natural light comming in. I don't understand why they wanted me in the basement room while they had other rooms available.

The room itself looks shabby, the wireless internet did not work in my room at all (though I had paid for it!). The bed wasn't too bad and the bathroom was ok. Breakfast was quite lousy and nothing continental about it, at all. I would defenitly stay somewhere else if I would visit this part of London again.

Room Tip: Don't get a room at all and if you can't help yourself: stay out of the basement!
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Badzeep
Reviewed 14 August 2011

The hotel was ideally situated for our 3 day 2 night stop in London .Our room was clean with what seemed like a recently refurbished bathroom.The room layout could have been better utilised with shelves in one of the alcoves where tea and coffee making facilities would have been welcomed.
We were not overly concerned with the old portable television,{with remote that did not work} but the use of a wall mounted one would give more room for the shelving as mentioned earlier.
If you are over a certain age or have any disability I would recommend you requested a ground floor room as it does not have a lift and even for a fit person carrying a large suitcase up three flights of stairs is hard work.
The breakfast was as stated in the literature but small touches such as fresh, or even concentrated orange juice would have been better than the orange "squash" we had. I really would like to know who enjoy s cold hard boiled eggs ,sliced spam and thinly sliced cheese with very little flavour,for their breakfast as it is not one of my favourite ways to start the day.We chose to eat around the corner for our second day .

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel
1  Thank bardavon
Reviewed 31 July 2011

We only stayed here one night on the way back from a trip to Paris but the comparison between the Beverley City and our lovely little hotel in Paris that cost nearly £20 per night less couldn't have been more marked. We had to report to the Nayland Hotel a couple of doors down to check in as there is no night time reception at the Beverley City. We were on the second floor and as there was no lift we had to carry our cases up to our room which was so dingy and outdated that we felt instantly depressed. Tobacco yellow walls with bedspreads circa 1980. The bathroom was small but very clean with a good shower allbeit connected up the wrong way round so that I stood 5 minutes waiting for hot water which I only got when I moved the dial over to cold! The breakfast was basic but ok though the orange juice was the worst I've ever tasted, even my husband agreeed and he'll drink anything! We've stayed in far better 3 star hotels in London than this one and overall I wouldn't be able to recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Joyday
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I guess it's on par with other hotels in this area. Not cheap, tiniest room I've ever seen, 10 Euros for internet access, lousy breakfast. The only good thing I have say about this hotel, it was 7 minute walk from Paddington station. You couldn't pay me to stay here again. I take that back. You could pay me, but it would need to be quite a bit of $$$. Just IMHO.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We stayed in this hotel several times throughout our stay in the UK as the location is great. Paddington Station is very close, as are loads of cafes, pubs and restaurants as this is a very high density hotel area. Hyde Park is also very near and lovely way to wake up.
Breakfast is very basic, but the serving staff were very friendly and polite. The room was very clean, and also very basic. The only complaint I would make is the pillows are dreadful - if you are a fusy sleeper I would recommend bringing your own as even the spare pillows are old, flat and lumpy - this was in all three rooms we stayed in, not just one.
If you have a lot of luggage, or may have trouble carrying luggage up or down stairs request a ground floor room as there is no lift - this was no issue for us, but as the builing goes up several flights it may prove a hassel to some.
Appart from the pillow issue, would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ground floor room is best as there is no lift
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple