“Location the best word..”

and 1 more site!
Beverley City Hotel
Ranked #913 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Sweden/Norway
“Location the best word..”
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Booked à year in advance and got a lousy, small room in the basement with window towards the stairs and hallway.. Clean hotel, terrible breakfast that made us eat out every morning.. Staff okay but how much did we see them or need them? Our friends had à room on the 1st floor, twin room that was 5 meters long and 1,5 meters wide and a toilet/bathroom on just over 1 square meter..

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank JensChristian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Gothenburg, Sweden
Reviewed 3 August 2012

This hotel wasn't the worst I've stayed in - the rooms were fine, quiet and clean. But staying in a hotel to me means more than that; it means a nice breakfast in the morning and I expected if not free, then cheap Internet connection.

The breakfast was probably one of the worst hotel breakfasts I have experienced; white toast with chemical tasting marmalade and butter, boring cereal and then coffee and something that looked like juice but didn't taste like it. Trust me, I am not picky when it comes to food but we actually decided to skip the hotel breakfast (only available until 9am, by the way) our two last mornings to eat elsewhere.

Also, internet connection is available but to a fee of 10 pounds/24hrs, something I find ridiculously expensive! It would have been ok if it were 10 pounds for our whole stay, but paying that much per day seemed silly.

Considering the amount of hotels situated in the area, I would definitely try to find a different one the next time I go.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hildans
Reviewed 27 April 2012 via mobile

I arrived at midnight, discovered I had to pay for my WiFi. After I paid I was told that, oh by way, the room that I have does not get Good reception and that I may have to use my phone in the lobby, which was what I had to do. The guy at the desk was very helpful in getting my phone to work. The room was cold, someone left a window open, and there was no hot water till the morning. I spent a miserable night .

• Stayed April 2012
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2012

The hotel is situated in a very handy area , near 2 tube stations and near Paddington train station.
We were impressed with the cleanliness of the room and the bathroom.
The man at the reception was very kind and changed our room on a lower floor when we requested.
The breakfast staff always willing to serve with a nice smile.
We have enjoyed our stay , and we will return with the family.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank kate c
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Do yourself a favour and give this place a miss. I now regret not consulting this website's reviews before deciding to book there. Although we didn't see any of the infamous cockroaches my wife spotted a "roach trap" placed in the hallway so clearly they do have "roach issues"! We had a room out the back below ground level which was small, dark and smelt of stale cigarette smoke. The bedsheets were ingrained with the stench of cigarettes and my pyjamas still stank when I got them home the following day. What's more we had an awful night's sleep because some inconsiderate residents were moving around and opening and closing doors at regular intervals throughout the night, and there didn't seem to be any staff around to do anything about it. The shower was good for 1 shower's worth of hot water and then it went cold. The only good thing is the location, and it's not like they're the only hotel in the area is it?

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Greg P
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 January 2012

For real? I stayed here about 7 years ago and it was the worst hotel ever, like something out of a movie. There was a cockroach in our room (and I see by other reviews here that they still have this problem). They blamed us for letting in cockroaches by leaving the window open (how else are we supposed to get fresh air in this hell hole).

The room was tight and the bathroom even tighter. There are no elevators and the stairways are narrow. And the towels are not exactly the cleanest. Skip the breakfast buffet, it's down in the claustophobic basement and they're cheap.

Actually, please skip this hotel altogether.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs, even if they pay you.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 4 December 2011

To charge 62 pounds p.p. a night for a rat's nest like this should be criminal.
The room was situated below ground level, with no natural light coming in.
At night time we nearly froze to death in was they called a "bed". After a couple of nights sleeping in this hotel we began suffering from severe back pain. (Had to buy pain killers in the pharmacy). And they never changed the sheets. Bed spreads were discusting and itchy, probably around 30 years old and never washed.

The room had virtually no shelves to put our stuff, so everything had to be put on the floor or on the bed. Shower was OK, but the water didn't get warm until after about 5 mins.

Breakfast was a joke, and the "orange juice" looked radioactive...

London hotels are usually a bit expensive, but for the price they charge at this hotel, you would at least expect a bit more effort. These people don't even try.

Stay away from this place, please!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple