“Good family hotel in Camden” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn London - Camden Lock

Holiday Inn London - Camden Lock
Ranked #264 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Pontedera, Italy
“Good family hotel in Camden”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

We stayed on October 2013 and we had a very nice stay. Location is perfect, so close to Camden tube station, the hotel is nice, clean and staff firendly and helpful. We had a double bed room (family room): bed are absolutely comfortable and there is also a pillow selection. Bathroom was clean, with bathtub but really too small. in the room there is a complimentary coffee facilities but I would have appreciated a mini-bar, which was not available.
The breakfast is really great: it's served in a very nice and modern lounge and there is a large selection of food and beverage and everything was absolutely delicious.
Moreover in the surroundings of the hotel there is a wide choice of nice restaurants and bar
I would certainly recommend this hotel as a good alternative to more expensive hotels in the London city center, which often don't offer such a good accomodation and service. We had a very nice stay and I would recommend this hotel to families and young peoples as well.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Simona70

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Puerto Princesa, Philippines
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

We always try to stay at a Holiday Inn where ever we go if possible as the standard always seems to be of a high quality. Camden is no exception. Friendly staff and not a bad location. Have to say when we checked out someone was complaining about the noise but we never heard any so can't comment on that. Good standard room and bathroom.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

Stayed 16th November 2013.

The hotel itself is very clean and comfortable, no problems there. The bathroom was a bit cramped, but fine. The issues I had were to do with night time noise and mistakes by staff.

Firstly, at night our room (114) overlooked a bar and the noise coming from it was not blocked by the windows very well at all. If we hadn't been so tired I doubt we would have been able to sleep.

Secondly, I had left a do not disturb sign hanging on the door and locked it the night before, but at 9:30 in the morning we heard a knock and the sound of a maid trying to get into the room. It was only when I got up to shout through the door that she stopped trying to get in. We checked out around 11am and mentioned that this had happened. We were then gathering our things and were about to leave when the duty manager came over and enquired about the issue. She asked us to wait while she made an enquiry, which prevented us from leaving. She came back a few minutes later and asked us if anyone else was staying in our room because we had checked out at 7am (thus causing the maid to try and get into our room). I told her there wasn't anyone else staying with us and we certainly hadn't checked out, so she said that someone else must have checked out and given our room number and our name for this to have happened. It was slightly disconcerting that someone else would use our name, but I didn't really believe this could have happened. The duty manager then said that she would check the CCTV to find out what had really happened and said that we didn't have to wait any longer but she would call us back later to explain what she had found out. Around 2pm I received a call from a member of staff at the hotel who explained that she had made a mistake early in the morning and had misheard the room number and then not been able to take the name of the guest because they had been rushing to get away. this member of staff then apologised and asked if our stay had been otherwise ok. I didn't want a long conversation with someone who had been forced to call and apologise for a genuine error so I said it was fine.

I don't mind that a mistake had been made, but I would expect that a hotel charging so much for a basic stay would offer some kind of compensation for mistakes like this. Our stay was disrupted and the service was not what we had expected to receive for the room fee. Simply getting the member of staff to ring and apologise doesn't make up for what happened.

Room Tip: Don't get 114
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
HolidayInnCamdenLock, Manager at Holiday Inn London - Camden Lock, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Let me first apologize for being woken up by one of us. Never a nice experience, I know. And this must not happen, yet the confusion at Reception triggered it. We are very sorry.

Anna Maria then dealt with the issue and tried to make it quick, effective and satisfactory. Yet there must have been some misunderstanding at some point. However she did investigate and together with Tamara, they found out what had happened. Tamara was on a training and she offered to call you, just to show some of our personal approach in the intent to make things right.

So all in all, it looks like we could do with a fresh start. Will you give us the chance? We'd love to show you we do make a difference, the positive way!

Thank you for your honest feedback.

Eddy Brosse
Holiday Inn London Camden Lock

NB: I'll connect you now through Trip Advisor's internal messaging service
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

Holiday Inn Camden

I’ve stayed at this hotel now for actually a few weeks – different work junkets, added up. I feel like I’ve gotten to know it pretty well.

Overall, it’s pretty good and a very nice location. If you’re not familiar with Camden you’ll likely be surprised. It’s of course a bit away from the famous tourist attractions, but this area is lively, musical, and only a few hot tube stops away.

It’s really, really too bad that so many places in London are just so expensive now. To get the $100 Holiday Inn experience in the States, you need to spend basically $400 equivalent in London. That’s well more than even in Paris in the heart of the Left bank. It’s really a shame prices are just so high in London.

As I travel more and get older, I feel that there are a few key things that really mean a lot to me (this coming from someone who used to backpack through Europe and stay in hostels) – I am not super picky, but as you age you look for cleanliness, quiet, space, and staff friendliness.

Cleanliness: This place was quite clean, and I had no complaints for the cleaning crew. They were actually quite friendly, conscientious, and thorough. Things were clean when they were done.

Space: For London on a reasonable budget this is what you get in the states. (Granted I wouldn’t be able afford here without work paying). But, you can walk around the bed (what a concept!) Can accommodate more than one person in the room at a time! The bathroom is a bit small but typical for Europe.

Quiet: for the most part yes. There’s a few bars around and you can get a bit of that, but not as much as you’d expect for the location. I did have some loud neighbors one night, but learn to travel with a noise-maker app, or ear plugs. The Savoy is worse!

Staff Friendliness – this is my only dink on this place. Granted, I was there two weeks, but man – there were a few staff members that were aweful. One night I went downstairs to ask for some Ibuprophen, which I had bought there a few nights before – the woman working reception was having an issue with something else and let out, “oh my god I’m too busy, whatever, I can’t help you, someone else will be with you.’ It was incredibly unprofessional – I had never dealt with this woman at all. When I bought the package of Ibuprophen, from another staff member who at first didn’t know they sold it – I took it to my room, to open and discover – half of them had already been used. Gross. Other nights, it seemed to be the same – dare you to ask for a drink from the bar, or ask for anything. Also – their laundry service does not say that they are not open on Sunday – so if you have business suits, etc that you submit on Friday or Saturday – good luck getting them for Monday. Also, the Mezzaine staff in the morning for breakfast was generally indifferent to good service. They would at times, roll their eyes when new people walked in. Not me, but I had a few occasions of heavy sighs when you’d dare ask for coffee. And, you’re playing 9L 13$ for this?? Seriously?? The breakfast meal is really pretty bad, I wouldn’t pay for it – especially not worth $13 – walk across the street. Lame pancakes, greasy sausage, dry potatoes.

Other thought: Their internet service, which you have to pay for ridiculously for (really this is a growing pet peeve of mine so many hotels nickel and diming) It terrible. Was knocked off Skype everynight with my wife.

Overall - Other than the front desk staff being rude at night – everything else about this hotel was fine. Again, I think for what you get for $100 in the states – this you have to pay so much more for – and, you get quasi rude service, and are nickel and dimed.

Also, of course, if you’re a Holiday Inn member – they will not be able to find you in their system for the points. Not just me, but two people before me in line as well.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
HolidayInnCamdenLock, Manager at Holiday Inn London - Camden Lock, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
WOW, you have certainly been creative but, as you said, you stayed with us for 2 weeks already. Thank you for all your comments!

There is obviously a lot of food for thoughts, things for me to take away and look further into. I am so sorry to read how some Camdeners came across, but I can assure you they didn't mean it. We're definitely a pretty happy bunch, working with our heart and talking out of passion.

On the side, if I may, I'd really like to shed some lights on what I feel may not be so fair on us?

- Prices: London is expensive sometimes, but as are most capitals like Paris, Rome or New York City. It is just a shame we were not able to give you that value for money we're constantly trying to achieve ...
- WiFi: Free throughout our Open Lobby, 24/7, unrestricted
- Room size: we are scoring real good for London and Paris and agreed, our rooms might not compare as big as in the States
- Breakfast: it would be really difficult to find the same value for money around (GBP 9 per pax, and children under 12 eat free). When pancakes are not as nice as expected, we make new ones, bigger, the way you like ... always happy to help. Have you tried Claudia’s daily smoothies? Truly, the girls have their heart in the right place.

Now I'll connect directly through Trip Advisor's internal messaging service and I sincerely hope to get to connect with you. Maybe during one of your trips here? We put our hearts in everything we do, therefore it is painful to read we missed it ... on too many occasions here! Surely, we'll make it right soon.

Thank you.

Eddy Brosse
Deputy General Manager
Holiday Inn London Camden Lock
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

We stayed here for a gig it was only minutes from the venue so it was a perfect location also great for Euston train station which is very easily accessed via the bus or tube.
We only stayed here for 1 night check in was quite quick and easy with very helpful staff
they also offered me to sign up to there reward program which I did for future stays
and with this we got an early check in and check out advantage which was great.
Our room a double room was lovely airy and clean a little on the small size to what I'm normally used to but it was nice and cozy and compared to another holiday inn I stayed in before this one was huge in comparison.
Another lovely touch I though was the welcome message on the large tv on which you could also set wake up calls if needed.
We didn't avail of breakfast but we did have a starbucks which is located in the hotel lobby
fantastic if you love your coffee like me.
Check out was speedy again with no problems
I can defintly say I will be staying here again

Room Tip: Choose a double
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Camden Lock twice in the last month on business.
On the first occasion I stayed in a standard room. The room was large and very well presented.
On the second occasion I was upgraded due to my IHG Rewards and stayed on the 5th Floor in the Penthouse rooms. This room was excellent plenty of room ,large bed, two comfortable chairs, coffee maker and a lovely large bathroom.
This holiday Inn has a different concept with the lobby being very modern and has lovely couches dotted around .The lobby also has a cafe and bar which serves good food at very reasonable prices.
Breakfast is served in the resturant and is buffet syle with plenty of choice.
A very good hotel in an excellent location
Well done to whoever came up with the new idea

Room Tip: 5th Floor rooms are wonderful
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank NigelMedia
HolidayInnCamdenLock, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn London - Camden Lock, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Well done to you then! The Open Lobby was born through our guests’ commends and feedback. We kept collecting all your fab’ ideas trying to find something unique. Then we realised that we loved them all so we created a place which has it all!! You can eat, drink, relax, work , have fun..and most importantly Be You!

Thank you for all your kind comments. We do love our loyal IHG rewards family and we always find a way to spoil them a little more. Have you heard that all our members will have free internet from 2014? Amazing, non?

So, as a true fan of our Open Lobby let me know when you are back. I can walk you through our 2-level lobby and tell you all about it.

Anna Maria & your Camdeners
Holiday Inn London Camden Lock, the Open Lobby is here and it is fabulous!
Nottinghamshire, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

I stayed here for three nights with my family. It was a very pleasant experience.

Check in was fast and they didn't even comment when we checked in at 10:30am. The room was ready. As a IHG rewards member I was given a voucher for a free drink and snack at the bar for the whole family which was great.

The room was large and comfortable. The TV was big and as well as most of the UK freeview channels it allowed me to plug in my tablet to the HDMI port and use the TV to display our own media. A feature that every hotel should offer these days.

The bathroom was a little small but had a bath and a good shower.

We didn't use room service on this visit but we did have breakfast in the hotel which was very good. Hot options were hot, fresh and tasty. The pastries were very good and there was a pancake station which my daughters loved. There was also a good selection of healthier options such as fruit and yoghurt. One of the best Holiday Inn breakfasts I have eaten.

The lobby area was comfortable with a selection of board games available which we used to relax after a long day in London. The bar had a decent selection and the coffee was good.

The location is very good. Next to Camden Lock by the canal with many bars and restaurants close by. The tube station was a five minute walk away but be warned it is closed for entry on Sunday afternoons due to large crowds. The next station is quite close though.

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel and we will definitely be using it for our next trip to London.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank shinycarot
See, we have thought about it all. From the HDMI port to the pancakes and the board games, we have tried to give a full fun and relaxing experience. You are worth it!

Thank you for your detailed feedback. It was just a pleasure to read it and the team just loved it too. So, how can we thank you? Oh, I know! We will spoil you even more next time and make you addicted to our Camden vibe!

Let us know when you are back and let us take care of the rest!

Anna Maria & The Camdeners