“I'm loving it! Great Hotel - Poor Parking except for blue pass”

Holiday Inn London - Camden Lock
Ranked #261 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
“I'm loving it! Great Hotel - Poor Parking except for blue pass”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2008

On my second visit in a year ( the first was a free night on my priority points) I turned up dressed like a tramp after a long trek at 23:40 and was welcomed warmly, identified as a priority club member and, as there was an upgrade availble, promply upgraded to a suite on the top floor, overlooking the lock and Jongleurs with an awesome balcony and a very nice room indeed. I nearly cried because it was already time for bed before I had really made the most of the situation.
However, previous stays were in the standard room solet us be objective.
The rooms are pretty standard holiday inn UK rooms, not to be confused with US style rooms, but are large and well equipped, very comfortable, in fact my friends on the last trip slept five in their room with no problems.
DO NOT open the fridge and poke around, it is all computerised and you will have to pay for anything you move, unless you sweet talk the very understanding duty manager who was the most helpful such employee I have met in ages.
Parking is tight and very rare but there is a good indoor car park a few streets away and it isn't a fortune, blue pass holders are quite correctly given a space in the hotel yard, when there is one available.

Camden lock is 20 yards away and the London Underground is less than 250 yards away (it is in zone 2). The markets, the street stalls are all within a short walk, but not one you will be wanting to take late at night.

Sunday is the best day to visit as the whole area comes alive and the hotel is an oasis of calm in the middle of the madness.

The staff here are very well mannered and really helpful and it is now my favourite London hotel.

Book online and save a few bob and pay no more than £130 for bed and breakfast, if you cant get that price, join the priority club, thern phone them and tell them you had that price last time you booked, they can't always do it though so be nice and try next time, but a bit earlier.

Going back next week and I can hardly wait!

• Liked — everything was good , the location is awesome
  • Disliked — dodgy area late at night
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
lasppt, Deputy GM at Holiday Inn London - Camden Lock, responded to this review, 9 December 2008
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for sharing your experience with this community.

For you to give such detailed information on our area and facilities, and to conclude that we are now your favourite London hotel, does us the greatest service and we are honoured that you consider us so.

The line “an ocean of calm in the middle of the madness” will be used a lot amongst the team to keep things in perspective at all times, you are always welcome with us in Camden.

Please let me know the next time you are staying with us, would be delighted to meet you!

operations@holidayinncamden.co.uk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
boston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2008

NOT A PATCH From a priority card holder.

I stay at holiday inn /express and accumilate a number of points during my stays.
In the last week myself and wife stayed at Oxford Circus in a suite where we had complimentary bottled waters, biscuits , robes and slippers 2 televisions ,overall excellent.
This week we took our daughter to a show and through the call centre booked on recommendation a family room at Camden lock.
We were advised that we could possibly have a room overlooking the lock so we went for that .
On arrival told family rooms are all inner facing room so no lock facing. Also our room use to be a smokers room but we wouldn`t know. We were then given voucher to exchange at the bar for complimentary bottle of water.
Our room to say the least was a tad smaller than what i expected espicially as i had read that rooms with 2 double beds where on the large size. It seemed no larger than the rooms i stay in on my own. The fridge in our room had the most expensive priced drinks for minitures again compared to the HI Oxford circus hotel
As for the area i have to agree with others that i felt at times a little intiminated after we had arrived back from the show late at night.
What disapointed me mostly was that in booking both hotels the points debited were the same for each hotel but i can assure you that Camden was not a patch on Oxford Circus.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank jonno1990
Dear sir,

At the Holiday Inn London Camden Lock we take pride in our ability to “wow” customers with both our facilities and our customer care.

I can only apologise that in this instance we failed to provide a memorable experience for yourself and your family.

Finding that we compared poorly to a fellow Holiday Inn in terms of what we offer to Priority Club members jolted us into action and, from the first of October 2008, we have implemented an entirely new welcome package for members.

It is so important to us that we receive honest critique of our standards as it is only through such that we may maintain and improve upon them.

Thank you for your appraisal here as a measure of improvements that need to be made.

With warmest regards,

Birmingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2008

For an affordable, clean, london hotel, decently located then you can't go too far wrong than with the Holiday Inn at Camden Lock.

I have just spent the week there and have found everything to be ok and value for money. I think we would all like everything to be perfect and I did have a few little moans about the bathroom being very compact, air con too noisy to sleep with on, but some of my moans were out of the hotel's control like noise late evenings/early mornings from party revellers in the street below.

The hotel is ideally situated right next to the canal and the famous Camden market. The tube is literally five minutes walk with a good selection of international restaurants to hand and Regents Park also close by.

All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to revisit.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noisy air con
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
Dear Trip Advisor Reviewer,

Thank you for your positive write up of your experience with us.

I’m sorry to hear that things were not perfect, as you rightly point out, we’d all like for things to be that way, none more so than the hotel!

Regarding your issue with the air-conditioning unit in your room, as the seasons have shifted and the settings for all aircon units have had to be changed, a full service on all units within the hotel has been carried out.

Units not found to be working at their best have since been serviced and I can only apologise that you may have been inconvenienced during your stay.

I’m happy to note that you would gladly revisit us and I must assure you that you’d always be welcome!

Birmimngham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2008

Very friendly Staff, Clean comfortable. Brilliant location. Would recommend to anyone wanting to be in the heart of Camden.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Taracats
Certainly the impression we’d like to leave all our guests with! Thank you for your kind review.

Poole, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2008

I chose this hotel on the basis of the location, and also the positive reviews on this website. Before booking I contacted the hotel directly and the manager Luis Pedro was very helpful in getting me a special deal for my stay. A collegue rang me directly to arrange my booking and Luis followed this up with an email to check everything was ok which I was thought was excellent customer service.

When we arrived at the hotel on 27th July, we were too early for check-in but we were hoping to leave our bags while we went to watch the Lion King Musical. To my surprise, our room was ready early - excellent! Check in was fast, and the lady on the reception desk (Hani/Hana?) was helpful and friendly. Our room was on the first floor and while the temperature outside was extremely hot (very unusual for the british summer!), our room was lovely and cool. We had booked a triple room but our room had two double beds and was a good size. Both the room and the bathroom were also very clean. When we came back to the hotel after our day out, we discovered that our television did not work. I rang reception and they were extremely helpful and eventually moved us to another room down the corridor where the tv worked fine!

The beds are very comfortable so we had a great nights sleep and unlike some hotels, we couldn't hear much noise from outside.

The location of the hotel is excellent if you want to explore Camden - its a few minutes walk to the famous market, and there are plenty of cafes and pubs if you are looking to eat out. We found a diner just a few steps up from the hotel which we had lunch ate - great cheesy chips and friendly staff! The tube is only a 5 minute walk from the hotel which is ideal for exploring the rest of London.

Overall, a great hotel and I would definitely stay here again if I was coming to London.

• Liked — Location and great staff
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
Dear Elaine,

I remember our communications very clearly and I’m so happy to learn that everything during your stay went as well as it should have done.

Thank you for mentioning Hani, your comment has been passed both to her and her manager and she is glad to have helped make your stay what it was to you.

Camden is a truly unique area and we are blessed to be at its heart to assist our guests in any way possible whilst they visit. As you say you would certainly stay with us should you come to London once more please don’t hesitate to contact us in advance as it would be a pleasure to make sure I welcome you in person.

Thank you for such a kind and gracious review.

Oxford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2008

I used to work in Camden years ago and it was great in my twenties and full of life. It's still full of life and a wonderful place to be, though now I like to be able to get a break from the crowd and it's so nice to be able to find peace and style in a hotel in the centre of Camden.

We picked this hotel as it was close to the Forum in Kentish Town and you know where you are with Holiday Inn. Well, I thought I did, this isn't like any Holiday Inn I've ever stayed in, it's bright, has a style all of it's own. We were lucky enough to book a room on the top floor with great views and a balcony, below to one side Camden lock, on a warm sunny day a hive of people having a great time way into the night. Though as soon as you close the door to your balcony you would not have a clue what was going on outside.

The room was a good size, very clean, very bright and well thought out in design. Great bathroom and nice touches, such as well designed furnishings.

Staff very good and with a great knowledge of the area.

This is a haven of style, peace and great service in the heart of Camden.

• Liked — Style, location and Service
  • Disliked — Maybe free water in the room would be nice
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Thank you for the wonderful review and your kind words!

We do like to consider ourselves an active part of the Camden community, to be so demands a certain individuality from us and I’m delighted that, from our furnishings to our staff, it struck the right chord with you.

You refer to us as a haven and this is certainly the feel that we try to cultivate! We are here to help our guests in anyway that we can and you are always welcome to return!

Ohio
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2008

After reading the visitor's review dated June 13, 2008, I became concerned about keeping my own reservation to stay in July, and so I waited for the manager's response to appear here at TripAdvisor, which I'd noted, was usually prompt and sincere. When 10 days passed and there was still no response from Holiday Inn over the electrical concerns of a guest, I decided to take action and contacted the Camden Lock location via email, requesting a response to my concerns about the safety of their electrical system prior to my July visit. I NEVER HEARD FROM THE MANAGEMENT OF THE HOTEL!

I canceled my reservation.

Now that I'm back from my visit to London, I see that the manager of the hotel did respond, but it took him a month to do so. I appreciate the seemingly thorough response given, but I wish he'd done so in a more timely manner. I might have overcome my concerns about the safety of staying at his hotel and kept my reservation.

Stayed July 2008
Dear Trip Advisor member,

This review is of vital importance to us and has been forwarded to every Head of Department on site as an example of how lack of communication will inevitably lead to a loss of business for the hotel.

It also illustrates how important the views of the Trip Advisor community are to future and prospective guests.

As such I can only apologise for a clear error in the handling of your e-mail that led to it being misplaced and not replied to, we certainly take pride in our responding to any and all guest inquiries.

I must also request that should you once more choose to visit London you bare us in mind, so we may demonstrate to you the calibre of service that we pride ourselves on. Please e-mail me directly should you wish to stay with us.

Thank you, once again for this communication.

Wam Regards,