“Refreshingly friendly and great service”

Holiday Inn London - Camden Lock
Ranked #246 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Refreshingly friendly and great service”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed here on Thursday evening with a couple of colleagues, whilst exhibiting at Grow London, a new gardening show on Hampstead Heath. After an early start and a busy day, we were looking forward to a good rest and a comfortable bed! We weren't disappointed. We were given a very friendly and efficient welcome when we arrived and the room was spacious, clean and airy. The bed was really very inviting, plump pillows and even a pillow menu! My female room mate and I had great difficulty in deciding which one we should settle for . . Soft, firm . . Which did keep us giggling and awake for some time, but what a nice choice to have to make! And a great night's sleep, which was much needed.
The bathroom was very clean, shower good, breakfast good, again with lovely friendly service, and check out nice and efficient.
All in all an easy hotel to stay in, made a great one by the staff! Really friendly, courteous and attentive. Would definitely stay again and will recommend to anyone. Well done!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Celia L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
leeds
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I just love Camden - yes like the other reviewers say it is noisy but that is Camden - Camden is noisy and buzzing Its about music and lots of bars and the markets and food! Lots and lots of street food stalls.

We came or our wedding anniversary and the Camden Crawl - Had a great time. I then found our that Taste of London was on during the same weekend.

Regents Park is just a short walk along the canal, the walk through Regents Park is longer!! It takes approx. 10 mins to the zoo.

Kings Cross is a couple of stops a way but it was such lovelly weather and as we travel light we walked along the canal - about 1hr give or take - we did just stroll and it was very pleasant!

Our first room overlooked the lock, but having stayed before I know how WOW the rooms above the lock are so they happily moved us the next day when there was availability. Room 503 had a view but not as good when you sit down, we moved to 507, a smaller room but the balcony was huge and right above the iconic bridge!! There is a suite on floor 4 which has the best of everything but you are very lucky if you get that room - it is their bridal suite. :)

Breakfast was really really tasty - and plenty of it!!

The bar is modern and pleasant.

The rooms are clean and very comfortable with all the toiletries you need if you have forgotten something they usually can help - toothbrush etc - I once left home without a brush!!!

There is a great area for business and WIFI access and Starbucks coffee!!

The staff as always are what make this hotel - they really do care! Both before during and after your stay!! We get a personalised Christmas card!!

You may get gifts in your room - cup cakes, wine, balloons etc dependant on your reason for travelling

I recommend requesting a room looking over the lock , canal and market, a high floor and being an IHG member for upgrades and a free drink - it costs nothing!!

Thank you once again for looking after us and making our break really special :)

Room Tip: Room 507!!
1 Thank jeppy
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I stayed here for 1 night as I had a night out planned in Camden. You cannot fault the location - right on the lock and I was lucky enough to get a room with a big window opening out onto the lock itself. However whilst this was picturesque, the noise from the bars out there never stopped all night. It was really noisy and I did not get a good nights sleep at all!

The hotel bar looked modern and the staff were very friendly. The room itself was quite small, the bathroom very petite however it was normal London size!

All in all a good stay, I just wish they could put better noise reduction windows in - earplugs in the room just don't quite cut it!

Room Tip: Get a room away form the lock if you are a light sleeper!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank aks120LasVegas
HolidayInnCamdenLock, Manager at Holiday Inn London - Camden Lock, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank you for your honest review, but I am sad to read you didn't get what you were mostly in for: a good night sleep.

Whilst our windows are already double-glazed, and all of our rooms are fitted with heavy curtains for full black-out and further noise reduction (and FREE ear-plugs as you mentioned), we understand that the lighter sleepers amongst you may find it difficult. Please in such a case, do ask us for an internal room, or rooms on the street side; we do have enough choice to suit everyone's taste and sleep pattern. We do.

Now if you come to party in Camden, then join the fun!!

Let's catch up soon and allow you a different experience. Thank you.

Eddy & the Camdeners, we do care!
Holiday Inn London Camden Lock
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This place was really great. We got off the train and it was only a couple blocks to the hotel. We walked in the door and were immediately greeted by a really friendly staff. We were too early to check in, so they locked up our suitcases and we went to visit the market. The market was really great as well!
The lobby was large, and clean, with different seating areas to choose from. There is a Starbucks as well, which is really just another Starbucks, nothing special.
The elevators are tiny, but did the job just fine.
The room we had was a two bed with a pullout couch. We were nervous about the pullout because of every other previous experience we've had with hotel pullouts. It was just fine though and plenty comfy. The room had plenty of storage areas to put all our stuff, it was clean, with a good air conditioning unit, and the bathroom was modern and nice.
The thing that put this hotel up into 5 star range for me was the staff. Any questions we had were answered with friendliness and courtesy. They all absolutely went above and beyond what was required!
As for price, I don't really remember what the price was...we used points. So for us, it was quite a value!
As much as I would recommend the hotel, I would not recommend the restaurant. I went there for dinner my first night because I was too tired to look for a different one. The first waitress came over and I asked her what something was. She didn't know, so brought a different waitress. She didn't know either. So, I asked what the soup of the day was and she didn't know that either. Then she just stood there and waited for me to order. I didn't really know what to order because they didn't know what anything was! I ended up ordering the pasta with bolognese sauce, and it was actually pretty terrible. The little meat pieces were so hard I almost couldn't chew them.
Great hotel, great location, and great staff!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank amyjg
CHESHIRE
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I booked two rooms for one Friday night in June, £175 per room (without breakfast) - which I think is extremely expensive for what it is, you pay for the location only, yes it's right on the lock, but that can be a negative late at night/early hours, when the pubs are really noisy in the streets nearby.

We walked from Euston Station, the direct route to the hotel along Camden High St, it took about 30 minutes to walk. Hardly worth getting a taxi or tube in my opinion, the traffic was so bad and the weather was good to walk in.

We waited quite a while to check in, but we were an hour early. They also held £50 per room on my debit card for any possible spends we may make while at the hotel. The reception guy was polite and pleasant enough.

Our rooms were on the 3 floor and directly opposite the lifts. I usually ask for rooms away from lifts whenever we stay anywhere, because of the noise from them and other guests, but on this occasion I forgot. I did ask reception if I had infact requested to be away from the lifts on my booking (I couldn't remember) but I hadn't and they did offer to move us, but by this point we had unpacked, we were hot and with just one day/night in Camden we wanted to make the most of our stay, so we decided not to.

We love Camden and the hotel itself, is in a great location on the lock, opposite the Stables Markets. We ate locally at Gilgamesh that evening, not at the hotel, so can't comment on their food. We got back to our rooms around midnight-1am ish and the noise from outside was really quite loud, but we stuck the provided earplugs in and it wasn't too bad, and the lifts weren't as noisy as I though they would be.

The beds are very comfortable, with a choice of pillows too. There are tea & coffee making facilities, a hair dryer and iron and ironing board too, good cupboard space, the room was very comfortable actually.

When we checked out the next day we left our bags in the storage room so that we could have another look round Camden and go for breakfast. I highly recommend Cote Brasserie, which is a few side streets away from the hotel, £9.50 for a full English breakfast with a hot drink, fruit juice, toast & jams - excellent quality and brilliant service! And cheaper that the £13 (I think) that the hotel were charging for breakfast.

All in all, an average stay, very expensive for what it is, the location it good though.

3 Thank SUZELANC
HolidayInnCamdenLock, Manager at Holiday Inn London - Camden Lock, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
That's a very honest review, thank you!

Sometimes I wonder whether no impression is not worse than a positive or (very) negative one. So it feels a little frustrating to leave you with no feelings about us, but that's something for us to work on. We got the message.

On the details of your (very) detailed review, I am pleased to read that our free ear-plugs (in all rooms) serve their purpose and that all in all, you had been welcomed nicely. And yes, our buffet breakfast is selling (well) at £13.50 per adult (kids under 13 eat free!), fully reflecting the value of our freshly baked buttery croissants, pancakes made to order, freshly cut fruit salad, quality cafetiere coffee, our home made smoothie and the large choice of full English breakfast.

Now we shall look forward to seeing you again soon and perhaps, we might trigger a good moment or two?

Thank you again.

Eddy & the usually excited Camdeners
Holiday Inn London Camden Lock, we love the experience
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Had our room upgraded for my birthday (free of charge) with chocolate cake and balloons in the room on arrival with a view of camden lock. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was nice enough. Great choice of food at breakfast as well.

Room Tip: Ask to be upgraded if it's a special occasion.
1 Thank Jasmine H
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed 2 days with family, ( both under 7 years) at this central London hotel. Great place to stay. London Zoo 15 min walk and Euston station, 2 mins on the underground tube. 5mins walk from Camden tube station to the Hotel.

Reception staff very helpful and rooms good size for London. Great for visiting local Camden market and for the rest of London.

And yes the breakfast and food service is really good.

Regards
Kay

Room Tip: Book through Holiday Inn website and get points and the best price. I checked broker sites and the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family