“Bank Problems - stay elsewhere!”
Review of Chamberlain Hotel

Chamberlain Hotel
Ranked #105 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

Natwest had bank problems last night. Tried to stay here. Only had my natwest card on me. Wasn't working. Tried everything in front if them - even online banking. No luck. Wouldn't let me stay. Had to go to cash machine with my natwest card but then that didn't work.

I am a business man and was in London on business. It was late. I didn't have anyone to contact and was stuck. Silly me should have had spare cash I know - but that's not the point.

Without payment they were happy to have me sleep on the street.

Took over an hour at reception. Wouldn't even let my wife pay over phone by card for me as we had to phone here.

Eventually was paid by her having to go to her friends to get them online banking who use a different bank to transfer payment to a hotel account.

My god - this wasn't £5000 a night. This is like £80!

The back clearly had problems and I am on business - not some tramp trying to stay for free.

They should have been more helpful.

Saw them for what they were when things went wrong that is for sure.

Money grabbing cold hearted business.

Will stay elsewhere in future!

Stayed: December 2013
Liz M, General Manager at Chamberlain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to inform us of the difficulties that you have encountered. I would like to speak to you personally regarding this matter but I have been unable to trace your reservation to obtain your contact details. Please could you contact me directly chamberlain.manager@fullers.co.uk
Kind regards

Reviewed 29 November 2013

Lovely interior and when we checked in very friendly receptionist. We had a club room which was warm and comfortable with all the basics you would expect. The bar was great and we enjoyed is so much we returned to it after our night out. The range of Fullers beers is great and my wife really enjoyed her wine. The bar manager was excellent and really superb , he and his great staff really made us feel welcome and enjoy our time there. They kept the tables really clean....Check out was simple and again the staff were very polite.

Two minor things to note; We did not eat there so can't comment on food quality but if I was a betting man I would say it would be good. The English breakfast was nearly £17 so out of our budget which was a shame. The only other thing is that you can hear the trains from the nearby station rumbling past so if you are a very light sleeper may effect you ( drink Fullers to help with this).

Really short walk from Tower of London and Tower Bridge. Great stay and hope to go back again, well done to management and staff.... T Brown

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Liz M, General Manager at Chamberlain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your lovely comments, it's always a pleasure to hear that someone has enjoyed their stay with us.

I'm delighted that you had chance to sample some of our award winning ales and that the team made you feel welcome.

We hope to see you again soon.

Warmest Regards

Reviewed 26 November 2013

Just got back from a great weekend at the Chamberlain, the hotel was spotless and the staff friendly and helpful, breakfast was part of our deal, otherwise a tad expensive, but it was excellent. The room was modern and comfortable. So close to tube stations, petticoat market and Brick Lane and the Tower in other direction. Some of the nearby pubs and restaurants are closed at weekends but still enough places nearby. We will return and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Liz M, General Manager at Chamberlain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely comments, I'm delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Chamberlain Hotel and that you found the team friendly & helpful.

We hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

This is a friendly comfortable reasonably priced hotel but we had a dreadful night sleep in room 108 due to the sound of the train every10 mins. Such a shame and on departure we were not asked for feedback. Sadly sleep matters too much so will stay in a higher priced hotel next time

Room Tip: Ask not to stay in 108
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Liz M, General Manager at Chamberlain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you taking the time to review your stay at the Chamberlain Hotel, I'm sorry that you didn't have a good night's sleep when you stayed with us.

If you would like to contact me directly I would be delighted to discuss your feedback.

Warmest Regards

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Good food, great ales, excellent breakfasts and comfortable rooms. The atmosphere of a sound old-fashioned hotel. That all comes together in The Chamberlain Hotel directly in London's financial district. And for a price that you would expect in the countryside rather than in the capital.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Liz M, General Manager at Chamberlain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2013

Dear Guest,
I'm so pleased that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us at the Chamberlain Hotel, thank you for taking the time to post your review.
We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

I was really happy to find a good deal on the Chamberlain, which was ridiculously close to the place I needed to get business done in London. If you have business involved with central London, this is terrific. As a runner, it was great to pop over the Tower Bridge in the morning to run along the south side of the Thames River, where there is a well used running path. You do need to negotiate the mad traffic patterns from the hotel to the bridge access, but it's doable. One downside of the location when I got there on Sunday afternoon was that there are almost no restaurants open in that part of town, so be warned. Fortunately there is a reasonable pub under the railway bridge a couple of blocks away, and at last resort the hotel itself is connected to a pub, which was open. The room amenities and equipment were reasonably new and I had a comfortable two night stay there. The one downside: the street lamp. I stayed in room 203, and the street lamp is connected to the building right outside the window of that room. It's nothing a decent set of blackout shades wouldn't fix. It didn't affect my sleep, but I can imagine someone with light sensitivity having a problem with it.

Room Tip: Avoid the 2nd floor if you are sensitive to light at night because the street lamps are connected to...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Liz M, General Manager at Chamberlain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Chamberlain Hotel, I'm delighted that you had a comfortable stay with us and that our location suited your business needs.
We hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

A perfect weekend in London was topped off by this hotel. A few days before our trip I emailed the hotel with some information. As a result of that, the Reception staff were amazing, they could not have been more accommodating. when we arrived to our absolute delight our trip to London turned into something more amazing than we could have hoped for.

The hotel staff were great and the hotel itself was perfect, exactly what we had hoped for.

We will definitely be back.

Thank you so much to all the staff at the Chamberlain Hotel in particular Sahra Attar-Ferdji.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Keith M
Liz M, General Manager at Chamberlain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your lovely comments, I'm delighted that that we made your stay amazing, that's what we're here for!

I will share your kind words with the team, and Sahra in particular.