“How times Change”

Ranked #121 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“How times Change”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many times and usually i love which is why i always used it. This time i was shocked to see how the demise of this once great hotel has occurred in the last 6 months.

My first gripe was that the receptionist on duty was one of the rudest most argumentative people i have ever dealt with. I asked him about the parking outside and he replied "Read the signs, Its not my responsibility to advise on parking" I almost walked out there and then, but as i had paid in full prior to arriving i just bit my tongue, he continued to press his point to the point i felt he was badgering and trying to beat me down. to prove his point. ( He was a small grey haired man ) i arrived at 15:15 is on 25th Jan 2014 in case the manager wishes to question him.
Secondly the room i was given was 403 and it was a disgrace the mattress was so broken and springs hurting my back that i placed all the blankets and duvets on the floor as a mattress and put the heating on full so that i could sleep for 4 hours. the bathroom was tiny, i don't know what type of room i was given but it certainly was not the same as i am used to staying in at this hotel,
lastly my usual breakfast of eggs Benedict that i relish and look forward to having every time i stay was terrible it was as if cooked by a completely different chef, the sauce even had a skin on it like it had been standing for hours.
I used to stay at the chamberlain at least 4 times a year along with friends while i frequent a local nightclub sometimes booking in my partners name. but after this episode i will definitely be giving other local hotels a try. After all, I can get treated badly at another hotel for half the price of this one.

Room Tip: My top tip would be look elsewhere, this hotel has really gone downhill
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alex M
Liz M, General Manager at Chamberlain Hotel, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your last stay with us at the Chamberlain. I'm sorry that on this occasion we failed to deliver our usual standard and for that we apologise unreservedly.

We have a Manager on Duty 24 hours a day who will endeavour to rectify any issues that are reported in order to ensure the satisfaction of our guests. If you would like to discuss this matter further please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kind Regards

Liz McLelland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Greek first
WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014

We needed a place to stay while in London for one night while on business. This turned out to be a good choice. The room was quite nice and quite spacious by London standards. The front desk put us in a standard room at first but once we realized it they quickly resolved the situation (and were very pleasant about it). The hotel is quite nice and the staff was good as well. It is about 3 blocks up the road from the Tower of London and the same from the Tower Hill subway stop.
We would recommend this hotel and stay here again when in London.

Room Tip: The hotel is above some busy subway lines so the higher up you stay the less subway noise you will h...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Liz M, General Manager at Chamberlain Hotel, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind comments, I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found the reception team helpful.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

East Anglia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

Two night stay and excellent value for money.
Room and bed very comfortable.
Bathroom very well appointed with the best hot water pressure I have ever known!
Did not use the restaurant.
Would happily stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Liz M, General Manager at Chamberlain Hotel, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your view of your stay with us at the Chamberlain, it's always a pleasure to hear that someone has enjoyed their time with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kent
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

Stayed here 1 night and that was enough I did have further nights booked but cant take a risk - the rooms were spacious - TV and services ok - albeit too complex and took you took many clicks just to watch the news - Wifi was poor and didnt exist in my room (307) the room also smelled of smoke - it was clean and tidy - the bar and staff were ok but the bar is expensive for a Fullers pub.
I stay in the city a lot and this hotel just came up so thought lets give it a shot - schoolboy error - the shower did not work it was a dribble of water - this is dreadful we are in 2014 and no hot water - I complained as I left and all they said was we will look at it - no good enough - its no good looking at it after I have left - wont be staying again - wont be recommending and will be complaining - very poor show in a very competitive market - reception need some training as well.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank stockyhouse
Liz M, General Manager at Chamberlain Hotel, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your review of your stay at the Chamberlain and your constructive criticism.

We do have a manager on duty 24 hours a day and they will endeavour to resolve any issues that are reported.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the malfunction with your shower and if you would like to contact me directly on chamberlain.manager@fullers.co.uk I will be happy to discuss matters further with you.
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

Room was nice and comfortable, quiet even though street facing.
Restaurant only used for breakfast but that was pretty good. When we were there it was never busy but they insist if there's only two of you you must sit at a two person table which is too cramped for all the breakfast dishes, cutlery and condiments on the table. Great bar, good staff.
Easy walk to tube and Tower bridge tourist area and there's a good little supermarket nearby.
Will definitely stay there again.
Beware though, if the lift stops working it's not fun!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Liz M, General Manager at Chamberlain Hotel, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your review of your stay at the Chamberlain. I'm pleased that your enjoyed your time with us and liked our bar!

We hope that you do return to stay with us on your next visit to London and look forward to welcoming you back.

Buehler
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

Just a one-night stay on business, but great value for the price - a real hotel (others I've stayed in at the price didn't have a staffed front desk or common areas), all the usual amenities and they all worked. Bit dodgy plumbing in the shower, someone must have tried to use the shower for gymnastics. I particularly liked the ironing board and iron in the room. Hotel comes with a pub, so great for a pint or a bite before turning in. Good location as well.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Liz M, General Manager at Chamberlain Hotel, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of the Chamberlain, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found time for a pint in the bar!

We hope to welcome you back in the future and will endeavour to fix that shower.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

I stayed here for two nights. I regularly stay in The City for work and will take any hotel that fits my budget and has availability. I find Tuesday nights particularly hard to get a hotel only a few weeks in advance and this time, this hotel was the best choice that had availability.

Our group had four people who had booked separately. We happened to pass about 1.00pm so we decided to try to check in or at least leave our bags in. Luckily, 3/4 rooms were ready, including mine.

Compared to some other hotels in the City, I would say this is a little more 'traditional' in decor. My room was nice, but showing some age. The was a stain on one of the lamps and another lampshade was partially broken. The aircon switch broke off and didn't work. Luckily the temperature was fine.

The wifi was decent. The shower was good and the room was clean. I didn't have breakfast and didn't spend much time in the hotel as I ate out with colleagues due to it being the Xmas season.

Checkout was quick and the taxi they hotel ordered arrived quickly too.

While this hotel would not be at the top of my City hotel list, I would have no problem staying in it again if it suited.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Chamberlain and I'm delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.

I hope that you return to the Chamberlain in the not too distant future and perhaps this time stay in one of our more modern rooms.