“Avoid room 416 if you're a light sleeper!”
Review of Chamberlain Hotel

Chamberlain Hotel
Ranked #92 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I've stayed here before once and had a very pleasant stay. Having to go into London frequently now I thought I'd try it again. They say every hotel has one naff room and I guess it was my turn. Room 416. If I stay here again I'll avoid this room like the plague.
It's a pleasant room BUT:
1. It smelt of smoking. Couldn't figure out why until I looked out of the window and saw the fire escape immediately outside the window covered in fag butts of different shapes and sizes. Yuch.
2. I'm a light sleeper. As I got ready for bed I turned off the air con. The fan stopped but the noise carried on. Then I realised there is air conditioning plant above the ceiling by the door. AWFUL. It went on all night and I felt dreadful by the morning. Really - you can't stick plant in bedrooms - I've been in quieter engine rooms.
I mentioned it on check out and the receptionist acknowledged that it can be noisy on the 4th floor...not just 416 then! She gave me a voucher for 10% off my next stay which I thought was a nice touch until I realised everyone was getting them upon checkout!
I won't write this hotel off but I'm not sure I want to play Russian Roulette and ending up on the 4th floor again. If I do stay here again I'll be sure to add a note asking to be spared 416!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Mike W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,668)

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Booked for a theatre and "tourist" weekend and were really happy with our ad hoc internet choice. Receptionist on arrival was very pleasant and helpful and even introduced us to the friendly Karen, who was in charge of breakfast. Our room (109) was spacious, with an easy chair and table separate from dressing table, always nice to have another place to sit rather than the bed. The bed itself was comfy and the bathroom well appointed with separate bath and shower and lots of space around basin area as well as large good quality towels and bathrobes. (lots of hot water and good shower pressure was a plus) Good wardrobe space and enough mirrors to keep even the most vain person happy :D

We ate in the bar area one evening and had room service the next, both meals were speedily served by the ever friendly and chatty staff and were delicious and good value. Breakfast, served in the restaurant area, was plentiful with an excellent range of both English and Continental styles . Karen and her staff made you "at home", ever attentive with a refill of your coffee/tea. Only gripe here is the insistence of couples being seated at the smaller tables where there is not enough room for all the various breakfast necessities, I imagine if you have an evening meal it would be even more squashed with plates etc.

This hotel was a great "find" for us, having stayed in many places across the UK we rate this among one of our favourites, good value for London with the staff being much more friendly than you would expect, taking an interest in you and having time to stop and chat, more like a country hotel than one in the middle of the city. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Liz M, General Manager at Chamberlain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your lovely reveiw, I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and you found all the team helpful. I will pass on your kind comments to them all, especially Karen.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Chamberlain in the not too distant furture.

Kindest Regards
Liz McLelland

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Spent the weekend in London going around the markets (yes that was her idea of a Valentines Break). Arrived at the Hotel to a spacious Deluxe double room, with no drawers. Clothes hung in the cupboard or stayed in the suitcase. Nice pub below which was very quiet over the weekend, but with very friendly staff.

Warning - don't expect much for Breakfast quality wise. First day both had full english (Fiancee's went back as eggs stone cold, came back out eggs, sausage and tomato cold and raw). My eggs like bullets. Next day we had learnt our lesson, but Omlette seemed deep fried and dry, My scrabbled eggs on toast came out with no toast. Couple on next table returned their full english (oh how we giggled). I pity the waiting staff who had to get all the comments and return the breakfasts, but sack the chef!! Pub platter of an evening not really much better.

May return as room was very nice, just eat somewhere else though.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Guy P
Reviewed 12 February 2014

This hotel is part of a pub. The rooms are beautifully decorated with all the modern features you want. They have a real contemporary feel and are warm which is exactly what you want when its freezing in London.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Stayed for 2 nights in Feb. Breakfast good with excellent service. Room not made up until after 1630 on day 2 so no towels as off to show early. Safe not working due to upgrades. Evening restaurant poor at night ordered steak off menu and didn't have any. Beware of mice in the lounge/bar area! Told staff and said they were aware.....

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 February 2014

My family stayed at the Chamberlain in July 2013 during the heatwave London was experiencing. The hotel was conveniently located near several tube stops, which was perfect for a the one night we were staying. However, their air conditioning didn't appear to be working, which made for an uncomfortable night of sleep, and it had already been hot for several weeks before we stayed there, so they can't have just discovered that it was wonky. We didn't say anything until we checked out the following morning, opting to just open windows as much as we could, because we got in late and they wouldn't have been able to get anyone out to fix it until the next day anyway. Good location, not so good AC.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I stayed at the Chamberlain Hotel for two nights in January and overall I had a pleasant stay. Compared to other hotels in the area, I found it priced at nearly half the daily rate. The rooms and general hotel decor were dated, but completely funtional and clean. The shower was great and fresh towels were provided daily. My only compaint was the bed which I found to be uncomfortable. It could have been the room I was staying in but after two nights, I could feel pain in my back. My room was on the 4th floor and faced out to the main road which was pretty quiet given it's central London location.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Liz M, General Manager at Chamberlain Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Chamberlain. I'm delighted to hear that overall it was a pleasent stay.

If you would like to contact me directly with the details of the room that you stayed in I will check the bed to ensure that there are no defects.

I hope that you decided to return to the Chamberlain in the future.

Kindest Regards