“Average hotel in good location”
Review of Chamberlain Hotel

Chamberlain Hotel
Ranked #114 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Helsinki
“Average hotel in good location”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I stayed at the Chamberlain only for one night in early April. I was given a room from the fourth floor, room 415 in fact. As I travelled alone, the twin room was more than adequate for my needs space wise. The room was spacious and could have easily capacitated yet another person with the massive luggage like mine.

What comes to the room decor, this room wasn't one of those recently re-decorated ones, so it felt a bit old fashioned and bleak. Additionally, the bathroom smelled of sewer and the shower didn't work properly, so had I needed to stay there any longer, these details would have certainly disturbed me more. After all, the hotel isn't the cheapest in London, if not the fanciest either. Also, during the night I could sense the nearby rail traffic vibrating the building's structure (or I don't know exactly, but something trembled the room every now and then, I assumed it to be the traffic), so if you can, you might want to try to get a room from the other side of the building.

Breakfast was just okay, but the restaurant staff were very helpful. Before my departure I also ate a burger at the bar downstairs and the food was delicious. The the upside, the hotel is conveniently located if you wish to see the city and for traveling by public transportation to the airports. Oh and yes, the wifi worked strong everywhere in the hotel premises.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Losviages

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Greek first
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We booked a club double room and an executive twin room- the executive room was beautifully decorated with luxurious finishings, and a lovely bathroom with a walk-in shower and big bath tub. The club double room was nice enough- decor seemed dated compared to the other room though and the smaller ensuite didn't have a separate shower, but next time I think we'll pay the extra and go for two executive rooms. The staff were faultless, very friendly and hospitable. The breakfast service was great! Our price included breakfast so we were able to have full english' and were told we could help ourselves to the continental breakfast bar as well: pastries, cereals, fruit, yogurt, cold meats and cheeses. All of it was delicious and we started the day feeling well fed and ready to go!
Rooms were very clean. Quite warm in there so we had our air conditioning on most of the time.
The only reason I'm not giving this review 5 stars is because we struggled to get to sleep on the Friday night as there is 'Mary Janes' Nightclub right next door and various pubs all along the road. But, the city quietens down on Saturday and Sunday.
Very central location- very near to Aldgate tube station so perfect for travelling around the capital.
Will be staying here again.

Room Tip: Go for an executive room on floor 2! Worth the extra money!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Liz M, General Manager at Chamberlain Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Chamberlain. I'm delighted that overall you enjoyed your time with us and am pleased that you found the team to be friendly and hospitable.

We look forwarding to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Warmest Regards

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Booked on the day of arrival and got a good deal. Probably wouldn't have bothered staying in a hotel unless the price was around that level but made sense to stay over and be in the city first thing in the morning rather than travelling home that night and back up the next day. Bedroom wasn't very big but was furnished very nicely and looked very new. Only had croissants and tea so cant comment on the full breakfast.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Liz M, General Manager at Chamberlain Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay at the Chamberlain. I'm delighted that you liked the room.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Kindest Regards

Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Just wanted to write a quick entry about our stay over the last 2 days. We were due to stay before xmas but had to cancel because one of our dogs broke a leg and had had an operation which prevented us going. The booking we had made was non refundable but when I explained our circumstances to Liz the manager she allowed us to defer our stay for up to 3 months. That is what I call a caring attitude and we are very grateful to Liz and Fullers for that. We had a great stay. Breakfasts were very good with fresh fruits, cereals, a good full English and coffee on tap. The staff, particularly at breakfast were polite and professional. A really good location only being 5 mins from Tower hill and the Tower of London. Plus a really good pub in Leman Street beside the old Leman street Police station and one of the best Indian restaurants in The Empress a few minutes away too. All in all a great stay in a great location.We will return.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mikdodd
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

I've stayed here before once and had a very pleasant stay. Having to go into London frequently now I thought I'd try it again. They say every hotel has one naff room and I guess it was my turn. Room 416. If I stay here again I'll avoid this room like the plague.
It's a pleasant room BUT:
1. It smelt of smoking. Couldn't figure out why until I looked out of the window and saw the fire escape immediately outside the window covered in fag butts of different shapes and sizes. Yuch.
2. I'm a light sleeper. As I got ready for bed I turned off the air con. The fan stopped but the noise carried on. Then I realised there is air conditioning plant above the ceiling by the door. AWFUL. It went on all night and I felt dreadful by the morning. Really - you can't stick plant in bedrooms - I've been in quieter engine rooms.
I mentioned it on check out and the receptionist acknowledged that it can be noisy on the 4th floor...not just 416 then! She gave me a voucher for 10% off my next stay which I thought was a nice touch until I realised everyone was getting them upon checkout!
I won't write this hotel off but I'm not sure I want to play Russian Roulette and ending up on the 4th floor again. If I do stay here again I'll be sure to add a note asking to be spared 416!

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Mike W
Sandbach, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Booked for a theatre and "tourist" weekend and were really happy with our ad hoc internet choice. Receptionist on arrival was very pleasant and helpful and even introduced us to the friendly Karen, who was in charge of breakfast. Our room (109) was spacious, with an easy chair and table separate from dressing table, always nice to have another place to sit rather than the bed. The bed itself was comfy and the bathroom well appointed with separate bath and shower and lots of space around basin area as well as large good quality towels and bathrobes. (lots of hot water and good shower pressure was a plus) Good wardrobe space and enough mirrors to keep even the most vain person happy :D

We ate in the bar area one evening and had room service the next, both meals were speedily served by the ever friendly and chatty staff and were delicious and good value. Breakfast, served in the restaurant area, was plentiful with an excellent range of both English and Continental styles . Karen and her staff made you "at home", ever attentive with a refill of your coffee/tea. Only gripe here is the insistence of couples being seated at the smaller tables where there is not enough room for all the various breakfast necessities, I imagine if you have an evening meal it would be even more squashed with plates etc.

This hotel was a great "find" for us, having stayed in many places across the UK we rate this among one of our favourites, good value for London with the staff being much more friendly than you would expect, taking an interest in you and having time to stop and chat, more like a country hotel than one in the middle of the city. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Liz M, General Manager at Chamberlain Hotel, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your lovely reveiw, I'm delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and you found all the team helpful. I will pass on your kind comments to them all, especially Karen.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Chamberlain in the not too distant furture.

Kindest Regards
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Spent the weekend in London going around the markets (yes that was her idea of a Valentines Break). Arrived at the Hotel to a spacious Deluxe double room, with no drawers. Clothes hung in the cupboard or stayed in the suitcase. Nice pub below which was very quiet over the weekend, but with very friendly staff.

Warning - don't expect much for Breakfast quality wise. First day both had full english (Fiancee's went back as eggs stone cold, came back out eggs, sausage and tomato cold and raw). My eggs like bullets. Next day we had learnt our lesson, but Omlette seemed deep fried and dry, My scrabbled eggs on toast came out with no toast. Couple on next table returned their full english (oh how we giggled). I pity the waiting staff who had to get all the comments and return the breakfasts, but sack the chef!! Pub platter of an evening not really much better.

May return as room was very nice, just eat somewhere else though.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple