“Nice hotel”

Ranked #55 of 838 Speciality Lodging in London
Stockholm, Sweden
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We lived in this hotel for 4 nights.

Good:
- Nice clean rooms, nice furniture
- The reception where open 24/7
- In a good neighborhood with a lot of restaurants and stores.
- Free wifi in the rooms

Negative:
- We first got a room in the basement, you had to walk through the laundry room, not so nice!! but when I complained we got a other room at the third floor. so it turned out good anyway.
- No Air condition, we where there in the middle of July and every night we were so hot, there was only a fan that not filled its purpose.
- Late inchecking!!

Conclusion:
A nice hotel that I would go to again if I visit london.

Room Tip: Avoid the basement.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank figuredmeout
GPManagement, Manager at Grand Plaza Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your nice and positive review and for staying with us on your trip to London.

Unfortunately as Grand Plaza is a Victorian listed building we are not allow to install external AC system. This is why our reception's first option was a lower ground floor room. The alternative system that we have in place is partly dependant on the external temperature. As in actuality it was unseasonably warm at the time of your stay, I can only apologise if this system was not sufficiently effective on this occasion.

We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Grand Plaza Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

A bunch of us stayed on the ground floor and were impressed by the entrance. The room was acceptable. Upon returning from a night out, 2 phones, my wallet, my house keys and car keys had been taken. The staff showed no interest and continued watching youtube videos. They called the police, who stayed until 5am, with no conclusion. We got no refund or compensation. This is a horrible hotel and after reading 5 different incidents of theft, they should be shut down!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
9 Thank Kyra F
GPManagement, Manager at Grand Plaza Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
In response to your unreasonable comment we wish to state the following:
1) Unfortunately we have no control over the weather but we endeavour to do our best to make the guest’s stay comfortable and therefore to combat the heat we do provide our guests with fans and portable air coolers. Please note that we do not advertise that our apartments are air-conditioned.
2) This is a grade two listed building and the character of the façade had to be maintained. The distance to which the window can be opened is restricted due to security reasons.
3) Considering the circumstances and reasons stated below, we cannot accept the allegation that the items lost were stolen from your room whilst you were out.
a) No evidence to suggest that anyone entered whilst you were not in the room. We have the log of all entries through the door
b) There is no evidence of violent/ forcible entry to room
c) In our opinion, it is most probable that your items were lost or stolen from you while you had the items with you outside the hotel.
4) The hotel takes due care and considerable attention to the safety of the customers and their belongings. We have provided all our apartments with safety deposit box free of charge. It is questionable why someone chose not to use the safety deposit box when they chose not to carry the mobile phones and purse when they went out.
5) We have carried out a full investigation with regards to your comments and our findings shows that our hotel and our trustworthy staff did the best to assist you by contacting the police to report the incident
6) As you were advised, we are yet to hear from the police with regards to their findings.
7) Your false accusation about the staff is totally unacceptable and you may be held liable for defamation of character.
8) Last but not least, we think you are being completely unreasonable in expecting someone else to look after your own property when you have failed to take the necessary precautions and not utilising the facilities provided.

Regards,
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed here on Saturday and found it an excellent location. We checked in Saturday early afternoon the room was a double exec with separate bedroom with tv and living room area with tv and small kitchenette with fridge & microwave. We were booked into Harrods for an event so walked through Kensington Gardens/Hyde Park to get there although tube station also very near but it was a nice day. There is a street of shops with everything you need Sainsburys, Tesco an English pub and also Bella Italia which is where we ate that evening among others. The rooms are clean tidy and had fresh towels plus facilities to make tea/coffee. We spent Sunday in the park and there is so much to do a carousel, lake with boats a play park and also splash pools for kids to play in will definitely stay again

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank NicolaSimpson
GPManagement, Manager at Grand Plaza Serviced Apartments, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind and positive review and for staying with us. I am glad that you found our location convenient for your visit to London.

We look forward to welcoming you here again in the future.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I was with a group of friends and we booked this apartment to stay in while attending our friends Graduation party as we traveled up from Brighton.

The twin-double room (two double beds) was £206 for the night which didn't seem too bad on first inspection. Our first impressions of the area were great as it was a ten minute walk from our party and various shops, cafes and other useful places. The lower ground floor room was boiling and although there was a plug in air con unit, it didn't help. The room was around 25 degrees C although outside wasn't even that warm... The windows were old and didn't open very far which also didn't aid the airflow.

We came in and out of the apartment three times throughout the night. Having stayed in a variety of hotels in London, I know to lock the windows and ensure the door is shut properly when leaving, so my friends and I check these religiously.

When our night had come to an end and we returned for the final time around 3am, We re-entered our room. The door was locked securely as we left it (which aroused no suspicion), but on further inspection we each found that a couple of items were gone from our room.

I immediately checked all windows and there was no sign of forced entry at all, although the narrow bathroom window was now open. Not at all how we left it.

Two expensive mobiles, one purse containing a fair amount of cash and a set of car keys were stolen.

I ran up to the front desk and told the receptionist who barely re-acted at all. He looked blankly at the other member of night staff. The two men (I believe) are supposed to be acting as security but were completely useless and incredibly suspicious.

One telephoned the police on our behalf after some encouragement. We telephoned separately to ensure it was a genuine call.

While awaiting the police's arrival, I sat agitated in the lobby area. One of the men who was at the reception originally had dissappeared into the back room to search the CCTV while the other paced around the lobby. He kept trying to converse with me about the safety of the hotel and how so many rich people stay there and nothing like this had ever happened before (later I found this was a lie thanks to other reviews on trip advisor)... Other people who have stayed in that exact room have been burgled and their bathroom window left open.

I spoke to the police initially outside in their car by my request. I told them I was incredibly suspicious of the staff. While I was in the car the men who sat at the desk were pacing up and down the foyer and were acting VERY suspiciously. The police noted this down.

The inspected the room and agreed at no sign of forced entry, gave us an incident number and said they would request the CCTV and get back to us. Funnily enough, our corridor was one of the only ones in the whole building which was not covered by internal CCTV. The staff told the police that the electronic door locking cannot be checked until a day later which again shows suspicion. They were clearly delaying as much as possible and were not acting like an innocent party.

The police told us not to touch the window or anything in that area of the room as they would send forensics round to look at a suspicious hand print in the morning, however, around 7:20am one of the suspicious men from the reception knocked on the door to "Check the window for his report". I let him in (Reluctantly) while he scanned around the room. We all believed this was to check he (or an accomplice) hadn't left any obvious clues which could implicate them.

I was up until gone 6:30am dealing with police and then awoken again by the receptionist when he came in. I got no good sleep and had a horrible end to what was a lovely night.

The next morning (at check out) there was another man at the desk along with other staff. At this point I was completely shattered and not in any fit state to be negotiating or arguing and with a two hour drive ahead of me; I just wanted to leave.

I gave him my room keys and said I need to check out. He was even ruder than the men from the night before. He asked if we were the "one's who had the incident?" I replied that if he was referring to the room who was burgled and got no sleep then yes. He looked blankly at me, clearly concerned that other guests may hear, then he just said "So..." and paused for ages. He offered no sympathy, apology or concern and certainly no hope of a refund! My friends and I are disgusted by the way this apartment complex/hotel treated us.

I took their business card and said I would be writing to the manager. I will be doing this today. I expect a full and complete refund for the stay at the very least!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
10 Thank Sam_H_Brighton

In response to your unreasonable comment we wish to state the following:
b) There is no evidence of violent/ forcible entry to room

Regards,
US
Reviewed 3 August 2014

The rooms are very awkward and tiny (though they're very clean). During the first half of our stay, we got one in the back and with no view (contrary to what was promised - even after I had called them up earlier to confirm a room with some front view). Can understand that everyone wants a front view - but why promise something if you can't deliver?

Beds were comfortable.

The staff at this place was not very helpful, to say the least. Requests from us to help with luggage, or to change our room to ground floor, or even for a small thing as helping with our laundry - were ignored and needed reminders.

Bayswater station is nearby, so that's good. Also, there are some good places to get breakfast or "tea", which is very convenient before you head off for the London tours.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Rishi P
Geraldton, Australia
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

We booked an 'apartment' room to sleep 4.
Would barely call it an appartment and the second bed was a fold out couch and comfort level was very low.
We booked this hotel because it advertised 'laundry facilities' but upon arriving we learned that the hotel offers a laundry service between 9am and 7pm.
We were only in town for one day and had to delay our tour start until after 9am just to get the washing done.
Expected much more for the money paid and should have checked the trip advisor reviews before booking. Lesson learnt.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Teniel M
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and for staying with us.

I am sorry to hear that we didn't meet your expectations this time. It is indeed wise to check details about a property before booking your stay. On our website there is an accurate description and even pictures, both for our rooms' facilities as for the laundry opening hours.

We hope to welcoming you again in the future!

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Upon arriving at the apartments from the outside I was impressed even said 'luxury' apartments, the foyer again was quite impressive but that is where it stops.

What a let down. After walking through the rabbit warren we eventually arrived to a 5th floor poky apartment with no appeal whatsoever. Twin beds that were pushed together with no room to separate and a tiny bathroom. The towels were thin and the couch in the sitting room was dirty with stains. It was not what is advertised on the website....a disappointing experience and 4 star what a joke.

Noone offered to take our luggage up the many stairs to our ceiling apartment. The only nice person we spoke to was a house maid who showed us a quick way to get to reception which involved walking out on the roof minimising the many corridors, stairs and smelly stuffy hot corridors.

The whole place needed a complete overhaul, fresh paint, carpet - a complete con

I would never recommend these apartments. Luckily the weather was fantastic which meant we spent minimum time in our room.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank andrea h
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and for staying with us on your trip to London.

We are glad you found our facade and foyer impressive. There are always ups and downs with the listed victorian buildings. While they are so bright and charming there is not much to be done with regards to the corridors or rooms layout. We are also sorry for the front office and housekeeping issues.

Thank you for letting us know.