“Have never stayed anywhere worse!”
Review of Abbey Court Hotel

Abbey Court Hotel
Ranked #849 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I recently booked to stay in a triple room for myself and two friends in the Abbey Court Hotel. Having stayed on Saturday evening I feel the need to express my disappointment at the standard of the accommodation we were given.

We were given room 514 which was not actually in the Abbey Court Hotel but in the Aspen Apartments. Upon entering the room there was an extremely strong 'toilet' smell which was very unpleasant to say the least. We forced to open the door onto the balcony to try and get some fresh air, however the smell was so strong it did very little, and we had to close the door again when we wanted to leave for the evening we had planned at theatre.

When we returned later that night we went get the bedding for the sofa bed to discover that the bedding consisted of 1 rather hideous fleece blanket which may or may not have been washed since it's last use. I would not consider this to appropriate. My friend called reception to ask for some sheets and a duvet however she was told that she could not have a duvet & two sheets were brought to the room.

When we attempted to open out the bed we then discovered that one of the legs was broken and didn't support the bed properly. It was then that I called reception again to inform them that the bed was not safe and that no one should be expected to sleep in it. I was told that moving rooms was not an option as the hotel was fully booked. This I found very difficult to believe as there didn't appear to be many people hotel. Eventually the person on reception did offer a single room and that one of us could move however the room was on the other side of the hotel. The receptionist kindly brought the key to the other room up to us. The fact that we were no longer in the same room was not ideal as we did book a triple room as we wanted to stay together, however I went along the new room.

When I arrived at room 61 I have to say that I was shocked at the size of the room, I'm honestly surprised that you can even fit a bed in there. However at that point I had little choice but to take it as it was already past midnight. The bed in room 61 was the worst that I have ever attempted to sleep in, there was a draft coming from the window and blind was broken.

All in all I have to say that our stay with you was quite unpleasant and I have quite honestly never stayed anywhere worse

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Becks0020
AbbeyCourtHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Abbey Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for leaving a review on TripAdvisor. We are sorry you did not have a pleasant experience .
As the hotel was fully booked, we upgraded you at the same rate to a another building in our group, Aspen Apartments.
Due to the timing of the complaint there was no maintenance personnel present to assist in fixing the broken leg. As we were fully booked the only option for the night was to provide a compact single room to accommodate the third person. All of our rooms are approved to hold the correct number of guests. During the night our receptionists cannot leave the area but we do provide extra bedding for guests if they wish.
If you had spoken to our manager during the stay we would have worked out to resolve this situation, sadly you chose not to and we were unable to provide compensation for your stay.
All rooms have now been repaired and we have welcomed more guests since this time.
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Bitterly disappointing. This is the third time I've stayed here, and each time has been worse than the last. It started badly, with me having to rebook my reservation after it was mistakenly cancelled at their end. I would have happily accepted this, only I was never apologised to - just abruptly informed over the phone that I would have to make the booking again. I booked a suite, foolishly believing a more expensive room would be an improvement over my last stay, but then had to request a change of suite because the one I was originally assigned bore absolutely no resemblance to the room advertised to me on the website. In the new suite, the vestibule light didn't work, the "Do not disturb" light didn't work, and the kettle didn't work. I never received an apology from any of the staff for these inconveniences. You'd think, too, that paying that much for a room would get you a paltry continental breakfast included, but you'd be wrong. Things like dated furnishings and shabby decor (which this hotel has in abundance) don't bother me, but bad service does, and I got this in abundance. There's a reason why they don't ask you at check-out if you enjoyed your time at the hotel. I won't be staying here again.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Tiana B
AbbeyCourtHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Abbey Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments, we work very hard to ensure our guests have a comfortable stay. Our staff accommodated your requests to change rooms. We provide guests with ample opportunities to provide feedback on facilities and give us a chance to correct things if we have overlooked facilities, if you do not do this during your stay we can’t fulfil your requests. Our buffet breakfast provides a large selection of hot and cold food, including eggs, sausages, croissants, fruit, cereal, cheese and yoghurt and beverages. All terms and conditions are clearly stated on our website.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

We stay here while we went sightseeing in London. Great safe base and minutes from Paddington main line station and tube. Rooms were clean but small. Hotel was smart out front. However when we booked over the phone I requested that we had breakfast - when arriving for breakfast the lady informed us it was not included in our stay. We show the conformation email and got our food - it was not great at all and half way through we were informed that we did have to pay - so we left the breakfast area. Will defo stay here again and breakfast in near by cafés for £5 is much better.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank markallen79
AbbeyCourtHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Abbey Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We have checked the details of this incident and you had enquired about breakfast when you made the booking, but in fact you only paid for the room. We apologise for any inconvenience caused by the confusion but do require guests to pay in advance for breakfast. Our guests appreciate the convenience and range of choices we offer during breakfast.

Regards,
Abbeycourt & Westpoint Hotel

Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

I got 2 nights at this hotel through a livingsocial deal which meant the price I paid was a little lower than normal rates. The room was fairly small but cosy. There was a large window which drenched the room with light which I thought was a lovely feature. The buffet breakfast was also very nice.
Location wise the hotel is great as it is a minute walk from Paddington underground/station so there are many connecting transport links.
Overall a great hotel and I would reccommend.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Joe H
AbbeyCourtHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Abbey Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2014

Dear guest,

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay in our hotel and that you wrote a review. We appreciate it.
Wishing you a very nice day and looking forward to welcoming you again in a near future.

Kind regards,
Abbeycourt &Westpoint Hotel

Reviewed 14 December 2013

Had a lovely few nights at the Abbey Court hotel. I was a little worried by some of the reviews but I have to say it was clean, the staff were friendly, it was ideally located for our trip to winter wonderland and for the cost were were more than happy. The only little drawback was that the bathroom was tiny with only a shower (which was not that great). Can't comment on the breakfast as we ate at the cafes up the road which were better value! Would use the hotel again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
AbbeyCourtHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Abbey Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2013

Dear guest,
We appreciate your review and looking forward to welcoming you again in a near future.
Wishing you a great day

Abbey court & WestPoint Hotel

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Abbey hotel is Well located, all places are very clean and crews were very professional with a peasant attitude. WE were previously informed that Breakfast was not included, we took the decision to pay it separately and was a fair one and the dinning facility is very appropriate..
Some rooms are really small however we were aware of that.

Room Tip: There are some rooms that have been recently renovated.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Nogueirafilho
AbbeyCourtHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Abbey Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear Guest,
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed stay in our hotel.
Your positive review persuades us to provide service even better.
Thank you for your feedback and we are looking to see you again in a near future.
Abbey Court Hotel

Reviewed 17 November 2013

This hotel is located in Central London, 1km about away from Oxford Street! It is probably the cleanest hotel i have ever visited in the UK! Everyday, your room is cleaned up! The staff is very polite and always happy to assist you on anything you may require! Even if you need a taxi they can call up for you and inform you for the price before booking it! The breakfast is not included in the price but if you want there are around cafes that you can grab a cup of coffee and a snack! Otherwise you have to pay GBP7,50 for the breakfast buffet! Paddington station is very close to the hotel.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
AbbeyCourtHotel, Guest Relations Manager at Abbey Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for posting a positive and great review, we are happy that you enjoyed your stay. Looking forward to welcoming you again in a near future.

Westpoint & Abbeycourthotel