“Watch out for the Freight trains and customer service with attitude”

Millennium & Copthorne Hotels at Chelsea Football Club
Ranked #406 of 1,063 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Watch out for the Freight trains and customer service with attitude”
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I stayed in the Millennium hotel on Wednesday 15th January . Having arrived early evening i found the room comfortable and well designed . However during the night i was woken on two occasions by the train noise and the whole bed shuddering like an earthquake . I was unaware that a frieght train track runs directly outside the back of the hotel , and this is certainly not something that the hotel brings to anyones attention pre booking . Having being woken twice in the night at approx 3.30pm and 4pm( the train actually stopped right outside the window ) i complained first thing in the morning to the front desk . The duty manager was not available as he was in his morning meeting . I was told if i leave my number he would call me back . I recieved no call so had to chase up again late afternoon. I was told that as i had not reported this disturbance in the night there was nothing he could do but if i visit again i may be offered a complimentary breakfast or possibly a drink in the bar . I expalined that there was little point in reporting it at 3.30am as i would not be willing to pack up my belongings and move room as this would have disturbed me even more . I was made to feel that i had been making it up and was told by Nicole that i should none the less have given them the opportuntiy to move me and that they had recieved no other complaints re train noise and that anyway trains are beyond their control so basically they could not take ownership of any duisturbance. I was offered a free upgrade if i booked again . So basically i had a very poor nights sleep but need to pay money again to the hotel to recieve any compensation . To me this seems like very poor customer service? . I was not looking for a freeby or a refund , but do not like to be made to feel that because this was in their eyes a one off its tough ! . I suggest customers request not to stay in any back rooms by the rail track . If you are disturbed in any way this must be reported immediatley to allow the hotel the opportuntiy to get you to pack up your belongings and move room , suggesting that this would make you feel better even at 3 or 4 in the morning . Danny the duty manager did his best to help but i was then referred to Nicole who seems to deal with complaints as a real challenge and i suspect views a succesful outome as one being where she offers little and the customer leaves unhappy as in my case . I am not one to complain but sometimes you really can feel how valued you are by the way things like this are dealt with .... in this case unfortunately very badly .

Room Tip: Ask not to have a room at the back near the railway track , otherwise if frieght trains do run that...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Clive P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2014

We stayed in the Copthorne Hotel this week for 2 nights and as regular visitors to London we werent disappointed at all. The rooms were lovely and the beds were so comfortable. All the staff were extremely friendly from the housekeepers to the reception staff and bar staff. Well stocked on towels and toiletries as well as coffee and tea making facilities. Iron and ironing board in the room made things easy for us not having to ring reception to get one brought up.

5 minutes walk to the tube that took us to Earls Court then we could get straight into central london. Not a long walk to the shops and restaurants in Kings Road.

Excellent value for money, got a really good deal for 2 nights stay.

We didnt book breakfast as we had a busy couple of days with meetings and interviews so sorry I cannot comment on breakfast but we have booked to come in March for St Patrick's Day so we are very pleased with this hotel. Really enjoyable two nights stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Cotswolds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 January 2014

We booked two rooms at the last minute for a trip to London to celebrate my daughter's 21st birthday. We weren't really too sure what to expect, but was very impressed with the hotel, the staff and food.

We (my friend and I and our two daughters) booked a B&B package to include double rooms. On check-in the helpful staff offered twin rooms, so we had one of each. The rooms themselves - in the Millennium Hotel - were of good standard and had a nice bathroom including bath, shower, good toiletries.

We at at Frankie Dettori's Sports Bar & Grill that evening. The margarita cocktail I had was one of the best (and I've had a few!), the food was good as was the service.

The hotel was quiet (no sound from the girls next door who said they were up until 4am giggling!) - something that is very important to me.

Breakfast the following morning

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014 via mobile

The only reason I am rating it as poor is because I have come away bitten by dust mites after staying in the hotel for 2 nights. Otherwise, the service was good, concierge knowledgeable and helpful and location was convenient.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Elena R
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Fantastic experience at the Millennium Hotel, the staff couldn't do enough to make our stay perfect, the room was lovely, breakfast was brought to our room and was lovely and our evening meal at Marco's Grill was fantastic!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I've stayed at this hotel twice as it is convenient for anyone looking to stay in the Chelsea / Kensington area for a reasonable price. However, don't come here for any wow factor, as the hotel is certainly lacking charm. This feeling also seems to have rubbed off on the staff as well.

The rooms look a bit tired indoors and the beds could do with a change. I would not want to stay here for more than a night or two.

There is dedicated underground parking for your car, which more or less comes to the same price as parking on the street or in other car parks nearby.

Fulham Broadway tube station is a few paces away and the location is generally an upmarket residential part of London. Having spent 2 stays here, the verdict is that I'll try to stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
millcopchelsea, PA to the General Manager at Millennium & Copthorne Hotels at Chelsea Football Club, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We were pleased to hear that you were satisfied with your stay and you found it to be reasonably priced. We are in agreement that the hotel is closely located to great transport links which makes travelling in and around London easier. We thank you once again for all your comments as this helps us to further improve our service.
Kind regards,
Hotel Management
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2014

My sister and I stayed one night here after using last minute 'secret hotel' booking link. The room, in the Millennium part of the complex, was a good quality four star. Decent size rooms, good media (smart tv meaning lack of wifi in rooms not a problem) nice bathroom with good complimentary toiletries, warm and very comfortable beds. No views to speak of but this didn't detract from the overall experience. The reception staff couldn't have been more helpful, and were great. The only slight disappointment was breakfast where the waiting staff seemed a bit distracted, tea and coffee took 10 minutes to arrive and quality of food was OK, but nothing too exciting. Overall, if you can get this hotel at a good price you should not be disappointed. It compares well with other four star in London.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We were delighted to hear that your stay with us was an enjoyable one and that you were more than pleased with the amenities provided in your room. We were particularly pleased to hear that our staff were more than accommodating which clearly left you with a positive impression. We thank you once again for your comments and look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.
Kind regards,