“Good place”

Ranked #604 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Good place”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

A great value accommodation in very handy location. Clean, spacious and with a friendly staff. The only “but” is the absence of lifts. I haven’t tried the breakfast, but it looked alright. I highly recommend if you are a tourist.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Milwaukee WI
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Stayed here June 2014 for 4 nights. Conveniently located just 2 short blocks from Paddington Station, right off a medium busy street. The hotel seems to be two or three former independent buildings combined to form the hotel.
The front desk people were welcoming and helpful and they managed to get me into a room early since my flight the day before was rescheduled to early morning (from late afternoon). I was grateful for that however it was on the top floor with no elevator... I think it was on the 5th or 6th floor (it's difficult to tell since there are rooms right off the stairwells).
The room itself was tiny - it was a single room which meant that it had a twin bed that folded up into a desk if I wanted it to.... and a bathroom that was so small that I could have sat on the toilet and taken a shower AND brushed my teeth at the same time! (Not a complaint - just so interested people know).
The bed was adequate - a 6 on a scale of 1 to 10 (10 being best). But I was thankful that the room had a table fan - it made it bearable to sleep (for noise AND temperature). The noise from the hall was other guests' doors and footsteps...
The breakfast buffet was also adequate - bread for toasting, corn flakes and a kiddie cereal choices, canned fruit, eggs, tomatoes and beans, and juice and coffee... nothing fancy, nothing outstanding but adequate and edible.
I might stay here again, depending on what floor I could get a room on... after walking around town all day the last thing I wanted to do was do 5 or 6 flights of stairs!
The neighborhood has lots of dining options - for all meals and is central for public transportation.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Bristol, UK
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Chose this hotel on its location as well as cost. Location cannot be faulted; within spitting distance of Paddington Station on a quiet square with a large public garden. Plenty of restaurants nearby and a bus stop for the 23 bus that runs along Oxford Street/Regent Street to Trafalgar Square.

I was in a single room, large in relation to normal single rooms of this type of hotel. Room 18 is not as one would expect on the first floor but on the fourth (top) floor. Oh, those stairs. 77 steps from reception to bedroom door, with a case! The stairs got narrower and steeper as I climbed. Due to the age of the building there are halfway landings so it is impossible to know which floor you are on – to be told I was on the fourth floor really meant nothing.

Lots of very amiable, cheerful staff and absolutely no problem with arriving early and leaving my case – you get a green sticker – or leaving it on the last day – with a red sticker.

Praise for the breakfast room, a further 20 steps into the basement – and the superb buffet provided.

Apart from the many steps there was nowhere in my room to hang clothes, just three hooks on the back of the door – you cannot hang skirts and tops on a hook. First night I used the towel rail, I did ask for coat hangers and they were given promptly.

The hotel is clearly undergoing some refurbishment; I suspect my room, 18, had not long had a makeover. However a bit disconcerting to have to step out of the shower onto a tiled step.

Would I book and stay here again – yes, I probably would. Location is terrific but some degree of certainty regarding room position would have to be guaranteed.

Room Tip: Unless you are a mountaineer make sure you are not on the top/4th floor
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
cornwall
Reviewed 18 June 2014

had a twin room no 43 was told this was a quiet room. There wasn't any traffic noise only hotel noise. Noise from room above us was disruptive- creaking floor boards and hear drawers being opened and close. This room backs onto a courtyard and there a frequent noise of water going down an external down pipe (not rain water!) Ensuite was tight and could of done with a bath mat. That said the room was clean, beds comfy. Breakfast was fine. We found all staff pleasant and helpful. Spoke to another guest who was moved upstairs as I believe similar issues, and they were happy. No ask the right questions to get a good room. Value average because of my experience.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
maryland
Reviewed 15 June 2014

It was obvious the Cardiff has undertaken an improvement program. It is an exceeding convenient and high value stay-for-money. As to the rooms, it was a big annoyance that there was no bath mat! Though the floor appeared clean, to have to step out on a bare floor with slightly damp feet from the shower was not good. And, since there was only one towel per person, there was not extra to use as a bath may. Further, over a four night stay we had to ask for the single use shampoo packets each day. As another reviewer noted, the changes in the breakfast set-up are disappointing. We've stayed at the Cardiff many times in the past and were quite looking forward to the breakfasts as they used to be. We were at first puzzled by no menus and no one coming to as if we wanted tea or coffee. Then we saw the "buffet" set-up and realized the change. Even with the larger toasted noted previously (it seemed to burn the bread rather than toast it) there was generally a queue waiting for toast. The eggs, bacon, etc. we're not re-supplied as frequently as needed, thus there was often a long wait. Probably the location is the top reason to go there.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MarylandBeemer
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We were working in London so we stayed here for 1 night, Location is great with plenty of shops and places to eat.

The room was basic but clean, the beds are a little on the small side for me but what do you expect for the price. Breakfast was a complete let down as the coffee machine was awful along with a single domestic toaster. With the amount of people wanting toast of a morning you really should buy a conveyor toaster.

The hotel looks like it is still having work done which is not a bad sign either.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed for 10 days, 5 nits each in different double rooms. The ground flor room had more space than the first floor room, though both were tight for space and the ensuing bathrooms are very small. The rooms were clean and we could open the windows which is a definite plus.
Proximity to Paddington is fantastic, as is the number of good, reasonable eating places close by.
Breakfast was good for us, as we could choose just what we wanted - and they bought a large new toaster while we were there to unblock the queue that the old one had caused.
Nothing in London is cheap but we thought this was good value for money. Very helpful staff.
We will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: If you have trouble with stairs ask for a ground floor room. There is no lift.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple