Cardiff Hotel
US$215
US$188
galahotels.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewspaddington stationnorfolk squaresingle roombaked beanshyde parkrooms are smallyogurtfull english breakfastlower floorplace to sleepbudget hotelplenty of hot watertea and coffee facilitiesexcellent locationpubs and restaurantsbus stopexcellent breakfast
Reviewed 23 July 2014

First, the location is fabulous. It is a very short walk from Paddington Station and is very easy to find. There is a little park right outside the front door of the hotel as well.

There is no lift in the hotel. My room was on the 3rd floor, so carrying bags up skinny winding staircases for several floors after a long trip was not a good start. I have a room that had a private balcony. The balcony was great. The view was to the back of other buildings, but with a room so small I couldn't even put my suitcase down it was nice to have a little space to avoid claustrophobia. I think the balcony was as large as the room. A towel for the bath was provided, but the first night I did not even get any soap! The hotel was very budget looking so I figured maybe they just didn't provide soap until I got one the the second day. The shower was the worst shower I have ever experienced at a hotel. It is tiny, but that is fine with me. The problem was the water pressure, or rather, the lack there of. The water just fell out of the nozzle. There was no pressure at all; it just fell from gravity. It definitely was not a nice way to try and refresh after a long trip.

The breakfast was mediocre. I also found it very interesting before I arrived how they made such a big deal that they are open 24 hours. It was even more interesting after staying there and seeing there was no one at the front desk when I arrived back after a show at about 11 pm and no one when I checked out around 5:30 am in the morning. I am not sure what exactly constitutes open 24 hours, but I would think that would mean someone at the desk.

I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Jim B
Reviewed 16 July 2014

First impressions cute, then had to manoeuvre through piled timber in the stairwell and luggage piled everywhere, with our suitcases up to 1st floor (thank goodness only 1 floor). Room clean but blanket on bed and spare not so clean looking. Shower so small you wouldn't want to drop the soap. In all good location but over priced .

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Catherine J
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Cardiff when we first arrived in London. We arrived late at night and were pleasantly surprised at its close vicinity to Paddington Station. Virtually one block away and we were there at our destination. Beautiful breakfast included each morning in a lovely setting downstairs. We couldn't have been happier with the accommodation and friendly service.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jennifer S
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I spent four nights at Hotel Cardiff with my two kids aged 12 and 17. The hotel is situated ideally in a peaceful, beautiful area, the nearest Tube station just around the corner. The centre of London can be reached in no time. Around the hotel we found nice restaurants with good food, small shops where we could buy snacks, etc. Hyde Park is within a walking distance from the hotel; we enjoyed one hot day having a picknick there, and the kids enjoyed it a lot. The hotel is quite old and a little bit shabby, but renovations are on the way. Free WiFi and breakfast were included. We'll choose the same hotel next time when London calls us again!

Room Tip: There is no lift in the hotel, and the stairs are quite steep. So, if you have problems carrying your heavy luggage, you would prefer a room from the lower floors.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I, a single parent stayed at Hotel Cardiff in Norflok square paddington along with my two kids aged 12, 19 from 15th June till 18th june 14. The hotel is situated ideally a comfortable walking distance ie not more than 100 mtrs from the Paddington tube station. We were really happy with the location and was just perfect since all our travel was through tubes primarily . it really served our purpose of hopping on n off any time of the day or night.
Also the hotel overlooks a beautiful garden which gives it a very homely feel. initially at the time of check in I was given a back facing triple room which I was very disappointed to enter. I knew I wont be able to stay here for three nights if they would not change it. but to my expectation when I went downstairs to the reception and requested them for the change in the room for a front facing one they initially said we are full, but in five minutes only they called me in my room and asked if I was ok to check in after about 3 hours. I happily agreed.
Breakfast is included in the deal and is basic English breakfast in a nice cozy basement which is kept neat. No complaints. Staff is helpful too.
Another nice feature about the hotel is its surroundings.. Very nice market place just as soon as you come down from the hotel. nice old english pubs , KFC, Mcdonalds in case you have small kids, shwarma place, Costa coffee everything is literally 20 steps away !
Only ONE Down side : SIZE OF THE ROOM. its small but the size of Bathroom is TINYYYYY )) rediculously small.
But then given the other benefits I was really happy I found this one. If you are one of those luxurious travellers this one is not for you. but if you are ok with small size of room n bathroom and wanna look at the functional aspect of the hotel its a thumbs up !

Room Tip: Try getting the front facing rooms with garden view. you ll love them esp in the mornings.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family