“The Terminator returns!”

Ranked #97 of 557 London B&B and Inns
Skipton, United Kingdom
“The Terminator returns!”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Back in 2012, when I first reviewed this place, I said I'd be back. I have returned in fact several times (which in itself speaks volumes) but this is the first review I've made since then.

I still occupy the same small front single room as then, which is still perfectly adequate for my needs. Nobody should doubt that the GLH is as old-fashioned and unmodernised as they come, but that is exactly one of the reasons I like it! I doubt any of the furniture or fittings is post 1970, the gloss paint includes probably half a dozen layers, but the place is clean, comfortable (snug is a good word for it), quiet and with friendly staff. If you want modern chrome and smoked glass with power shower and trouser press, go fish.

I slept well as I always do here - the situation is very quiet residential. My breakfast was good, though they STILL haven't cottoned on to my point of two years ago which is that it needs to be HOT rather than just warm. So I've reluctantly had to lose them a star. They have, however, reinstated the do-it-yourself toasters which I love, since I can get HOT (nb!) toast ad lib. It's also good to watch other guests nervously approaching the machines as if they were unexploded bombs. The range of comestibles (ahem) for breakfast is broad. They do you well. And my "waitress" was a charming friendly lass (from Oz?), quite unlike the old grump I'd had previously and who was the only reason I ever had cause to complain about the hotel.

I paid, I think, around £40. I still believe that excellent value. So the Terminator will return again.

(It doesn't apply to me who use train and tube to do The Smoke, but there is a very large private parking area out front).

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank A F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Polish first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I spent a night in that hotel which is clean , friendly and relatively cheap. they had good break fast .on the other hand it needa sign at the street entrance and good wifi .
the staff are so friendly.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I stayed there with a friend (each in our own separate rooms) for 5 nights. My room was small but an adequate size. Very good lighting: overhead light switch by the door, a lamp by the bed and another light over the bed with a string. Very nice for reading in bed! There was a small desk, a chair, television, tea kettle, and sink in the room. Not ensuite but I only ever had to wait once to use a toilet (and I just went downstairs and used the one there.)

The tea kettle in the room looked a bit questionable so I always went down the one flight of stairs to use the one in the lounge. The lounge itself was nice: couches, chairs, lots of tourist pamphlets, another tv. There is also a microwave and toaster available for guests to use. There were always tea bags available including an assortment of herbal teas.

The staff was very nice and accommodating. When I complained of being cold in my room, one of them brought me a heater to use for the remainder of my stay. They offered laundry service for a small fee, which was extremely helpful (and they even used unscented laundry detergent as we requested!)

The hotel is about a 10 minute walk to Ealing Broadway, perhaps slightly longer to Ealing Common. Plenty of shops near Ealing Broadway including a Sainsbury's inside the mall, useful if you want a cheap meal to microwave back at the hotel.

Wifi was a bit intermittent, and anyone severely allergic to cats needs to know there is a neighborhood cat who spends quite a bit of time inside this hotel. Very friendly cat, and it didn't bother me (I have a mild allergy to cats) but just be aware. There's no lift at this hotel but as far as I know the most stairs you could possibly have to cope with would be two flights. Let the staff know ahead of time if you have trouble climbing stairs. My traveling companion did exactly that, and she was given a room on the ground floor. I was fine being up one flight.

I was happy with this hotel--quite a bit less expensive than central London but an easy trip into town. And it was very quiet: no street noise at all.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank gelana_99
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We loved the location of The Grange Lodge B and B. It's a lovely quiet area, it felt very much at home.

The ladies that we saw running the hotel, were friendly and knowledgeable.

The room was small but perfectly adequate to sleep in.

We stayed in one of the only rooms with an ensuite.

The ensuite had a mold issue and by the time we left, I was sick.

For the price of the nightly stay, it was mostly worth it--the ceiling needed a good washing and the peeling drywall with the mold behind should be removed.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Kimberly H
Leicester
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Good location only 10 minutes walk from Ealing Broadway tube and from there regular tube service into central London in about twenty mins. First impressions were decor and furniture is a bit dated but it was clean and the bed was very comfy with good quality mattress and bedding. En suite was small and clean and the shower was good but a little noisy. No problems with the hot water. The walls are quite thin and we heard several guests returning late, not that they were kn any way noisy just doors being opened and shut.Breakfast was ok with a selection of cereals , yoghurts and fresh fruit , apples and oranges. However only one choice of juice , orange, which ran out as did the yoghurts but no-one noticed. The cooked option was fine but not fantastic as other reviewers have stated. There was a cat allowed to roam free in the dining area which was a lovely cat but jumping up on my seat whilst I was having breakfast is not really acceptable and I could see it causing problems for some diners if they are not at ease with cats. Also found the woman serving breakfast not very friendly. All in all good value for what we paid and would recommend as long as you're standards aren't too high with the decor side of things.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank kathryn k
Caloundra, Australia
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

Enjoyed our stay here was good for one night. Ten min walk to the train, comfy cosy doona/bed and really tasty breakfast. Wifi wasn't very good and hotel a little dated however for the price it's a bargain, plus free parking and friendly staff!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ashley L
Barry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I stayed here with a friend after reading great reviews. It is located about a 10 minute walk from the tube, which was great although the area was very quiet and lonely at night. The price was reasonable but what a dark, dingy and dated place. The room was cold so I used one of the extra blankets which had seen better days. The bathroom was in need of a refit, the sealant was peeling away from the shower tray and mould grew on the grouting.
At breakfast we were served by a grumpy woman who could not even make eye contact. We had the full English breakfast and asked for the poached eggs. My friends arrived with a nice runny yolk but unfortunately the white was just as runny. I called the woman over and immediately she appeared to be on the defensive and said " whats wrong with it?" She did replace it with a new one and I did not even mention to her that I had a fried egg on my plate when I had asked for poached,she may have thrown us out!
I think that this place is used by contractors as I heard alarms going off early in the morning and mens voices/doors banging.
The cat was the friendliest in the house!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends