“Grantley Hotel for Shepherds Bush Empire”
Review of Grantly Hotel

Grantly Hotel
Ranked #685 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Southend on Sea Essex UK
“Grantley Hotel for Shepherds Bush Empire”
Reviewed 8 December 2012

We arrived at the Grantley an hour early (I thought check in was 1 but was in fact 2 - my mistake!) but the lovely guy at reception told us our room was ready and checked us in. There is a surcharge for paying by card, but we were allowed to go to (one of several) local cashpoints to get cash. We were going to the Shepherds Bush Empire for the evening (the front door of which can be seen from the steps of the Grantley!) We popped out in the afternoon and on our return the room was freezing cold, I asked at reception what time the heating comes on and was told it should be on already, so he followed me back to the room and instantly resolved the problem by adjusting the radiator. We were in a ground floor room, which was very compact, but ample for our needs, had a very compact ensuite shower (which was adjustable to very hot and high powered!} toilet and wash baisin. Very little room to manouver in the en suite - definitely only room for 1. The hotel is on a main road in a very busy area, I slept through the night with no disturbance, however my husband was woken a couple of times by other guests. Breakfast was in a conservatory. Described as continental breakfast, we had a choice of cereal, toast, jam, cheese, hard boiled eggs, tea, coffee and fresh orange. I'm not sure if there was more choice or what the limitation to quantity was as we just has some toast, orange and coffee. We were more than happy with our stay at the Grantley, in our experience the staff were friendly and we would happily book there again when going out in that area.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Folkestone, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2012

I have stayed twice in this hotel, and would certainly go back there. The staff was very friendly and tried very hard to improve my stay. There were little things such as no chair in the bedroom or a curtain that got detatched, but this was solved in minutes. Altogether, the service is quite good, the equipment in the room caters for all needs and the bathrooms are new and very clean. The bedrooms are not very large, and breakfast is not a copious as in some other hotels, but you get as much food as you need and like the rest, everything is clean, fresh, and made to the request.

The fact that Wesfield Commercial Centre and the underground station are about 5mn walk from the hotel is a big plus.

Room Tip: The bedroom that are not directly opposite the street are obviously better, since the traffic is qui...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2012

The room was lovely, the towels were clean and smelled lovely and fresh, guys on reception friendly and helpful, breakfast was good, egg, toast, croissant and black coffee. Myself and my 16 year old daughter visited London to go the BBC TV studios which is 10 minute walk away. We felt very safe and secure. We enjoyed shopping in the upmarket shopping centre Westfield. We travelled without hairdryers and shampoo, but found the toiletries adequate, hairdryer was quite good and toilet and shower cubicle good and clean. (only gripe was there was no hook on the bathroom door, but small gripe for one night.. i soon got over it). Would definitely recommend it and would stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Bedford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2012

I was going to a comedy show Saturday night and wanted a proper shower/bed to sleep in rather than roughing it.
This place was 5 mins away from my venue and the station, and seemed decent enough. £55 for a single room for the night - very cheap for London! Arrived just around 6pm on Saturday and the fellow on the desk wasn't the most cheerful, but wasn't unwelcoming either. Was a little disappointed that the website claims you get "complimentary toiletries" but in fact it was just a soap dispenser on the wall of the shower - had to run to superdrug down to road to get other things I needed which I couldn't carry in to London with me. My room was quite charming, with stairs leading from the doorway/bathroom up to the bed area. More room for the space in the building, I suppose. The bed/sheets/pillows and room in general were very clean and I was at the back of the building so other than sirens of police/ambulances, you didn't hear much traffic at all.
The bathroom was also clean, as were the towels provided.

My main beef with the room would probably be the shower head - its small and the water pressure wasn't great, so I spend quite a while trying to make sure my (very thick) conditioner was out - probably more than if the water pressure were just a bit higher! The next morning the water pressure was the same so it seemed this wasn't just a one-off. I still got my hair washed and the water was nice and warm after a short wait running it through.

I got in from the event around 11:30pm and the man on the desk then was very cheery and friendly and I felt a bit happier asking him about breakfast times, checkout times and info on the internet access.

Room was warm - main radiator heated up quickly and there was a small plug-in heater just in case too. Two plug sockets. Phone in the room too. The bed was very comfy! I watched TV for about an hour (colour tv, modern with plenty of channels) when I got in before going to bed and was quite sleepy so would probably have slept anyway, but the bed and pillows were very comfortable and I woke up with a good solid 8 hours sleep and no aches or problems. Breakfast was nice - had some toast and jam with a nice black coffee myself but they had lots of other options. It was out in a conservatory-type building, which was lovely (and not at all cold even in the rain).

Checked out around 10am and it was pouring with rain so was even more glad of how close this place is to the station!

So:
PROS: Good location, bedroom mostly quiet, clean, warm and just the perfect size for one person. Sleep quality great, and staff were all OK except for the fellow working the desk at night who exceeded that and was extremely friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the back of the building, facing the blocks of flats - much quieter. If you hav...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
CHESHIRE
Reviewed 1 November 2012

We booked this hotel for a gig at the O2 Empire and paid £80 for a double room, booked directly with the hotel via email.
The hotel is within easy walking distance from Shepherds Bush underground (5-10mins), by turning right out of the station, cross the road at Vue Cinema/Wetherspoons, continue to the right along the road, with the Green in the centre of the two busy roads running in and out of Shepherds Bush, the blue hotel sign is then visable. The Empire is literally just facing the Green and just a few steps across a few crossings from the hotel, so ideally located for gigs at the O2 Empire. It is a very busy area though and the traffic is constant. There are lots of shops/eatieries and such, all along the road and all around the Green, so the hustle and bustle is very noisey.
We checked in and paid in cash, as there is a charge for credit/debit cards. We were given room 26, which was on the first floor. Initial impressions of the hotel were ok, not fabulous, not not bad, but then we knew exactly what it would be like for £80 in London.
Our room was on the front of the hotel and absolutely tiny, again something I appreciate being in London, but even so, it was like being in a shoe box! The window was open when we arrived and the noise from the street was so so loud. We shut it, or at least we tried to, but the window didnt actually seal shut, so the outside noise was lessened slightly, but not fully. The room had tea & coffee making facilities, decor was basic, some parts of the walls were just plaster/bare wall, not paper/paint, tatty around the edges, curtains didn't fit the pole properly and were just gaping at the top, the bathroom was seriously tiny, barely enough room to sit on the loo, just one thin pillow each and the bed was hard.
We wanted something quick and simple to eat before the gig, and found ourselves in Walkabout Bar, which is next door to the Empire, good value and quality pub food, and there is 20% off if you're going to a gig at the Empire, so that was good. We then had a few pre-gig drinks in O'Neils Bar, the other side of the Empre.
After the gig, nowhere was open for late drinks in Shepherds Bush, which we found a bit disappointing, infact the area itself wasn't great, a bit ropey, lots of beggers asking for money etc, I would stay in a different area for any future Empire gigs.
We headed back to the hotel, and got absolutely no sleep because of the window that wouldn't shut properly and the outside noise, sirens, traffic, etc, we thought it would've died down through the evening.
We checked out pretty early as we just wanted to get out of the tiny room, we didn't bother with breakfast at the hotel. I told the guy on reception about the window, and with a sigh, he reluctantly wrote the room number on a piece of paper, begrudgingly said sorry and that he would get the maintenance guy to have a look at it. Bit too late for us really, we'd already had a sleepness night.
I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone, and we won't be going back either, I think we'll be opting for a nicer area, with a bit more going on, just a bit further away from the O2 Empire.

Room Tip: Room 26 is on the front of the hotel, above reception - expect no sleep at all if you're in the...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SUZELANC

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

boston,ma.
Reviewed 22 October 2012

I recently spent 2 nights at the Grantly. I chose it because I was going to a show at the O2. Besides the very reasonable price, I found the hotel very clean, with plenty of hot water and a really nice berakfast offered in the little room off the back of the hotel.Be sure to ask for the brown bread for your morning toast.I loved the location too. I found a few nice old pubs and some fantastic restaurants in the area. I found that I could walk down Shepards Bush road to Hammersmith and hop directly on the tube for Heathrow too. I didn't need to switch lines at all.I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for a clean budget hotel in a good location.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ricka..
Isle of Man
Reviewed 18 October 2012

We stayed at the Grantly for one night to attend the Shepherds Bush Empire which was just 2 mins walk away. There were 3 of us in a triple room and the room itself although not plush by any means was comfortable, clean and large enough for us all. The decor is dated although the bathroom we had was recently renovated and was very modern and stylish. The only drawback we had was the lack of a hairdryer in the room and when we asked at reception one was provided however it was a two pin plug which meant we had to go back and request an adapter. Why a two pin plug? it doesnt make sense.

The staff were great, very pleasant and friendly and any request we made, ie for extra pillows, hairdryer etc was dealt with efficiently and with a smile. We didnt have breakfast so can't comment on that.

As a small budget hotel, I would recommend it and would stay again, just dont expect the ritz for the price you pay.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends