“Better than expected.”
Review of Grantly Hotel

Grantly Hotel
Ranked #644 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 6 February 2013

Let's face it, for less than 50 quid with breakfast you're not going to get a luxury hotel in London, nevertheless I was a bit wary of the Grantly having read some bad reviews and expected it to be a bit of a dump. I have to say that the guy on reception was friendly, pointing out the credit card surcharge and suggesting I pay cash to save money (there is a cashpoint at the petrol station very close). The room was small, the bathroom minute! but everything was clean and the bed and pillows were fine. The breakfast was continental with toast, cereal, boiled egg, tea or coffee, fine for the price. Tea, coffee and kettle provided in the room. Overall it was better than expected and I would stay again when working nearby....probably wouldn't use it for a romantic weekend though!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank FrankMango

Reviewed 1 February 2013

I wasn't going to bother to waste my time writing a review until I glanced at the Grantley Hotel's website which is an affront to the truth and complete baloney. The banner headline for this hotel is a 'quality bed and breakfast'. Nonsense, you can attach no quality to this place whatsoever. It has been refurbished, yes, about fifteen years ago at a guess but tastefully converted - No! And as for giving you all you would expect from a "good quality Bed & Breakfast hotel, plus that little bit extra"… this is a joke. The only extra is that you have to pay for wi-fi (about £3/day). It is not free as advertised, which these days is outrageous.

Furthermore, it was never a former mansion. It's a straightforward terraced London town house over four floors the type of which you will find all over London and which is most unsuitable for conversion into a hotel because this type of house is all stairs and half landings.

The rooms are small and cramped and offer no comfort. I have stayed more than once at this establishment and none of the rooms were comfortable. The so-called en-suite bathroom is carved out of an already small room; the bed and tv which seem to be the minimum expected requirement these days are squeezed in wherever it is possible to fit them with no thought at all towards design or any aesthetic consideration. In one room the desk upon which the tv sat was plain and rudimentary, the cheapest flat-pack item one can find. There was nowhere comfortable to sit other than on the bed which was narrow and pretty uncomfortable. Granted the sheets were clean but the towels were inadequate. As for the shower… this is one of those places where you have to wait ages for the hot water to arrive and if you are unlucky and leave your shower too late, there won't be any hot water however long you wait.

I think the crowning glory of this hotel has got to be breakfast. Firstly, breakfast is not in the hotel proper at all. You go down to the basement, out the back and find yourself in a port-a-cabin which has been dolled up as a sort of breakfast room. This is manned by two Polish waitresses whose demeanour can most charitably be called perfunctory and who loiter at one end of the port-a-cabin which acts as a sort of kitchen bar where they produce breakfast. Coffee is awful, tea is hard to mess up, the toast is white or brown cardboard and cold by the time it gets to you. Jams are nasty little cartons. Likewise butter. I saw someone ask for a boiled egg so maybe it is possible to have something approaching an 'English breakfast', but it certainly is not volunteered. Similarly you would be forgiven if you failed to notice the cereals which are available but discreetly perched on a windowsill. The breakfast room is also cramped, the tables too close together and not big enough for the supposed thirty rooms the hotel boasts.

The reception staff seem to be a motley collection of middle Eastern types who show scant interest in their customers. There always seem to be various sorts hanging around the foyer so if you have any question to ask you feel you interrupting the receptionist from his main preoccupation, namely chatting with his chums.

London is an expensive city and I don't know if this can be considered value for money, I doubt it. The hotel advertises a single room including breakfast at £39. My very small single room was nearly twice the price so that would appear to be another 'error' on the website.

On the plus side it is true the hotel is situated in a convenient location. It is not in central London but is close to Shepherd's Bush underground station which is on the central line and about fifteen minutes, five or six stops or so to Oxford Street which can be considered more or less the shopping centre at least. Why did I stay at this hotel? Sheer convenience, I have friends in the area and couldn't find anything else in a hurry.

Room Tip: ...in another hotel
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank JollyMI_Italy
Reviewed 20 December 2012

I booked this hotel due to its closeness to O2 Shepherds Bush. I had read the reviews on here and thought I would see what the place was like.
I booked ages ago and when I arrived was greeted at the reception pleasantly.
I had booked online for a single room for £55. The receptionist stated that there was a surcharge on credit cards and a £1 charge for debit cards, I dont remember seeing this when I first booked the room tbh
I was given Room 12 which was on the third floor. The steps were quite steep so if anyone has difficulty climbing stairs I would contact the hotel first to get a lower floor.

The room itself was very small, but clean. The bed was a bit firm for my liking but the bed linen was spotlessly clean. Moving onto the bathroom. It had a new looking shower, basin and toilet and clean towels were provided.

I was overall impressed by the hotel and would recommend if you are going to a gig at the O2 Shepherds Bush or anything in that area

Room Tip: Single Travellers go for Room 12 its at the back and quite quiet, but be prepared for a climb to get...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank dazzqpr
Reviewed 8 December 2012

We arrived at the Grantley an hour early (I thought check in was 1 but was in fact 2 - my mistake!) but the lovely guy at reception told us our room was ready and checked us in. There is a surcharge for paying by card, but we were allowed to go to (one of several) local cashpoints to get cash. We were going to the Shepherds Bush Empire for the evening (the front door of which can be seen from the steps of the Grantley!) We popped out in the afternoon and on our return the room was freezing cold, I asked at reception what time the heating comes on and was told it should be on already, so he followed me back to the room and instantly resolved the problem by adjusting the radiator. We were in a ground floor room, which was very compact, but ample for our needs, had a very compact ensuite shower (which was adjustable to very hot and high powered!} toilet and wash baisin. Very little room to manouver in the en suite - definitely only room for 1. The hotel is on a main road in a very busy area, I slept through the night with no disturbance, however my husband was woken a couple of times by other guests. Breakfast was in a conservatory. Described as continental breakfast, we had a choice of cereal, toast, jam, cheese, hard boiled eggs, tea, coffee and fresh orange. I'm not sure if there was more choice or what the limitation to quantity was as we just has some toast, orange and coffee. We were more than happy with our stay at the Grantley, in our experience the staff were friendly and we would happily book there again when going out in that area.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 November 2012

I have stayed twice in this hotel, and would certainly go back there. The staff was very friendly and tried very hard to improve my stay. There were little things such as no chair in the bedroom or a curtain that got detatched, but this was solved in minutes. Altogether, the service is quite good, the equipment in the room caters for all needs and the bathrooms are new and very clean. The bedrooms are not very large, and breakfast is not a copious as in some other hotels, but you get as much food as you need and like the rest, everything is clean, fresh, and made to the request.

The fact that Wesfield Commercial Centre and the underground station are about 5mn walk from the hotel is a big plus.

Room Tip: The bedroom that are not directly opposite the street are obviously better, since the traffic is qui...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 November 2012

The room was lovely, the towels were clean and smelled lovely and fresh, guys on reception friendly and helpful, breakfast was good, egg, toast, croissant and black coffee. Myself and my 16 year old daughter visited London to go the BBC TV studios which is 10 minute walk away. We felt very safe and secure. We enjoyed shopping in the upmarket shopping centre Westfield. We travelled without hairdryers and shampoo, but found the toiletries adequate, hairdryer was quite good and toilet and shower cubicle good and clean. (only gripe was there was no hook on the bathroom door, but small gripe for one night.. i soon got over it). Would definitely recommend it and would stay again.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 November 2012

I was going to a comedy show Saturday night and wanted a proper shower/bed to sleep in rather than roughing it.
This place was 5 mins away from my venue and the station, and seemed decent enough. £55 for a single room for the night - very cheap for London! Arrived just around 6pm on Saturday and the fellow on the desk wasn't the most cheerful, but wasn't unwelcoming either. Was a little disappointed that the website claims you get "complimentary toiletries" but in fact it was just a soap dispenser on the wall of the shower - had to run to superdrug down to road to get other things I needed which I couldn't carry in to London with me. My room was quite charming, with stairs leading from the doorway/bathroom up to the bed area. More room for the space in the building, I suppose. The bed/sheets/pillows and room in general were very clean and I was at the back of the building so other than sirens of police/ambulances, you didn't hear much traffic at all.
The bathroom was also clean, as were the towels provided.

My main beef with the room would probably be the shower head - its small and the water pressure wasn't great, so I spend quite a while trying to make sure my (very thick) conditioner was out - probably more than if the water pressure were just a bit higher! The next morning the water pressure was the same so it seemed this wasn't just a one-off. I still got my hair washed and the water was nice and warm after a short wait running it through.

I got in from the event around 11:30pm and the man on the desk then was very cheery and friendly and I felt a bit happier asking him about breakfast times, checkout times and info on the internet access.

Room was warm - main radiator heated up quickly and there was a small plug-in heater just in case too. Two plug sockets. Phone in the room too. The bed was very comfy! I watched TV for about an hour (colour tv, modern with plenty of channels) when I got in before going to bed and was quite sleepy so would probably have slept anyway, but the bed and pillows were very comfortable and I woke up with a good solid 8 hours sleep and no aches or problems. Breakfast was nice - had some toast and jam with a nice black coffee myself but they had lots of other options. It was out in a conservatory-type building, which was lovely (and not at all cold even in the rain).

Checked out around 10am and it was pouring with rain so was even more glad of how close this place is to the station!

So:
PROS: Good location, bedroom mostly quiet, clean, warm and just the perfect size for one person. Sleep quality great, and staff were all OK except for the fellow working the desk at night who exceeded that and was extremely friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Try to get a room at the back of the building, facing the blocks of flats - much quieter. If you hav...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo